• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

jeep 4.0 I6 Vs Ford 4.0 V6

I wish my 5.0 LX Hatch got anywhere near 28MPG city even when it was in great shape with low miles.

Take an XJ and an Explorer, both with stock gears. Put 33s or up on them. See which one sucks the worst off the line. Having had both, there is no contest. (They both suck given these conditions, but the I6 sucks less)

The Exploder will likely pass you at some point, but off the line the I6 gives you a lot of torque to begin with.........not to mention the fact that the I6 will likely have 200K+ miles and be a couple quarts low........

Odd, since the 'Sploder usually has 4.11 gears and an XJ usually has 3.55 gears. Unless the V-6 just has no torque to speak of.

And whoever is bashing the 302, get real man. One of the most solid, easiest to work on engines ever. I have owned a few of them and they were fantastic. I am currently dropping a 5.0 into a Ranger for the second time.

Lets throw the Chevy 4.3 into the mix, I had one in an S10, that was a powerful motor.

And whoever is bashing the 302, get real man. One of the most solid, easiest to work on engines ever. I have owned a few of them and they were fantastic. I am currently dropping a 5.0 into a Ranger for the second time.

JUNK! thats all i'm saying. I wish that truck had a 300 that is all! :wave1:

I have an 89 F-250 4x4 plow truck with the 300 straight six and 5 speed. Extremely tough and reliable. I also have 2 XJ's. I'd say the Jeep has a little less torque the the 4.9l, but not by much.The 4.0 Exploder engine is not a rock crawler trail engine. It seems better suited for the highway.

Lets throw the Chevy 4.3 into the mix, I had one in an S10, that was a powerful motor.

Hell yeah!
I had one in a 98 blazer. Loved that engine, plus that blazer got pretty good mileage. The 4.3 Vortec is a great little motor.

I have an 89 F-250 4x4 plow truck with the 300 straight six and 5 speed. Extremely tough and reliable. I also have 2 XJ's. I'd say the Jeep has a little less torque the the 4.9l, but not by much.The 4.0 Exploder engine is not a rock crawler trail engine. It seems better suited for the highway.

Mine was an 88 2wd with a 302 and the AOD trans. The truck itself was tough as nails but i just couldn't stand the engine! If it would have had the 300 i'd probably still have it!

HP is more top end, so just cuz an Exploder can go FASTER doesnt mean that its fast.
Reliability, Jeep's I6 hands down. Fixability, I6 again.

Hell yeah!
I had one in a 98 blazer. Loved that engine, plus that blazer got pretty good mileage. The 4.3 Vortec is a great little motor.

Really My sister Has a 2000 blazer with the 4.3 in it and I think that thing is the biggest piece of **** I have ever driven! I hate her car! if I have to go up the hill for gas or some thing small(its a really short trip, 20 min walk) and My jeep is blocked in the drive way by 3 cars. I still move all 3 cars before I take her piece!

her gas millage is bad, and one time I actually put the petal down and it ruined the engine! and she was dumb enough to spend 5K to have another one put in!

I love the ford 300. my dad had a few of them, and he never changed the oil. I really mean never once and they would last for years! now thats a good motor!

Really My sister Has a 2000 blazer with the 4.3 in it and I think that thing is the biggest piece of **** I have ever driven! I hate her car! if I have to go up the hill for gas or some thing small(its a really short trip, 20 min walk) and My jeep is blocked in the drive way by 3 cars. I still move all 3 cars before I take her piece!

her gas millage is bad, and one time I actually put the petal down and it ruined the engine! and she was dumb enough to spend 5K to have another one put in!

I love the ford 300. my dad had a few of them, and he never changed the oil. I really mean never once and they would last for years! now thats a good motor!
My Mom's 98 Blazer is closing in on 200k on the 4.3 with no engine problems other than an oil leak that's been fixed. She drives an hour each way every day and averages 22 mpg. My brother in law has one in his 91 Jimmy, and he's beaten the snot out of that thing, jumps, 1wd rock "crawling", etc and it's going strong. He also just got a 99 GMC Sierra with the 4.3 for $100. PO thought it needed a rebuild/new engine. My brother gave it a real thorough tune up (ignition, distributor, oil change, plugs, wires, etc) and for a grand total of $370, he's got a great running truck with over 250k on it. I've thought of swapping in a 4.3 just for ease of access to the accessories on the front, plus fitting bigger radiator/fan. His Jimmy on 31s ran pretty even with my XJ on 30s in a mini drag race in a sandy wash.

My mothe rin law has an Explorer Sport Trac and it is currently down for repairs on account of the engine starting to run real bad and it sounds like a rod knock. But she's also been pretty hard on it, using it for a farrier's truck, towing trailers, horse trailers, and doing a lot of driving in the desert heat.

Even with it's current problems, my MIL's engine is remarkably clean and in good shape internally.
Valve spring broke was the problem. So, my brother in law is rebuilding the head for her. Then it should be back on the road again.

i have the GM 4.3 in my BlaZeR-2 and a 4.0 in my XJ

all i can say, id go with the 4.3 hand down. they're far more powerful. my friend even asked me to tow his cargo trailer with 3 bikes in it to the park, we was going at the maximum speed we can go, im right behind his XJ (im towing while he's towing nothing!) i know it was stupid but we did

i am currently towing my XJ with my BlaZeR-2 and im happy with how well the 4.3 tows the entire weight

95XVCherokeedoodads002-2.jpg

however for the 4.0 (in the jeep) i probably will say its more dependable and FAR easier to work on than the 4.3 would offer. but i will still stay with the 4.3. but iam still happy with the 4.0 in the XJ with OVER 175k miles (odometer stopped working ) and still running very well!

I have to say the 4.3 is reliable mechanically, BUT the injection system they use on the vortec's is Crap! I have seen way too many leaking injector bodies and bad poppet valves to say it would be there when you need it.

Heck, Isn't the 4.3 mechanically a chevy 350 with 2 cylinders chopped off. 5.7/8=.7125, .7125*6=4.275. How much more mechanically sound can you get? I agree the Injection setup is junk.

i have the GM 4.3 in my BlaZeR-2 and a 4.0 in my XJ

all i can say, id go with the 4.3 hand down. they're far more powerful. my friend even asked me to tow his cargo trailer with 3 bikes in it to the park, we was going at the maximum speed we can go, im right behind his XJ (im towing while he's towing nothing!) i know it was stupid but we did

i am currently towing my XJ with my BlaZeR-2 and im happy with how well the 4.3 tows the entire weight

95XVCherokeedoodads002-2.jpg

however for the 4.0 (in the jeep) i probably will say its more dependable and FAR easier to work on than the 4.3 would offer. but i will still stay with the 4.3. but iam still happy with the 4.0 in the XJ with OVER 175k miles (odometer stopped working ) and still running very well!
It must be a gearing thing because the 4.3 is only rated at 10 lb-ft over the 4.0. Horsepower numbers were the same.

my friend has an explorer and I have an xj
which is engine is better?
the Jeep 4.0 I6 Vs Ford 4.0 V6

now I know this is a jeep site so the I6 will probably win, but just try to be unbias.:rof:

Also if you could include your reasons, that would be great.

Well, here's an actual reason the Jeep engine is better:

Seven main bearings.

The V6 will have four, a V8 will run five, but the inline six gives you seven.

Not a Jeep vs Ford reason per se, but a big difference between the two engines you're comparing...

Robert

I have to say the 4.3 is reliable mechanically, BUT the injection system they use on the vortec's is Crap! I have seen way too many leaking injector bodies and bad poppet valves to say it would be there when you need it.

I had that problem on my 95 S10 SS. It had the old school Central Port Vortec, spent like a grand replacing the injector assy.

Other than that the motor was reliable as hell, very torquey. I used to run mid 15's in that truck at the dragstrip. Probably had too much power for a reg cab shortbed truck.

Back