• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

jeep 4.0 I6 Vs Ford 4.0 V6

chedisme

NAXJA Member
my friend has an explorer and I have an xj
which is engine is better?
the Jeep 4.0 I6 Vs Ford 4.0 V6

now I know this is a jeep site so the I6 will probably win, but just try to be unbias.:rof:

Also if you could include your reasons, that would be great.

Last edited:
Jeep i6 FTW!!!!! the timing chain isn't gonna grenade at 150k! the 242 is a mule and way more reliable than that v6!

my buddy has a 4.0 v6 in a bronco ii, its pretty close race but he has me at around 70 when i loose my power, just wait till i get my 4.6 lol. Put i think they are both great engines but if i had to chose i would pick the i6

the explorer engine makes around 210hp an 245lb-ft if it is the SOHC from a later model explorer. these engines are pretty dependable, main downfall of them is the timing chain rattle. The plastic guides wear out over time, allowing the time chains (3 i think) to rattle around a bit. this can lead to extensive internal engine damage if not repaired in time. It is also extremely expensive for a shop to fix.

we all know how dependable the I6 is.

I6...starve both of oil for a little bit and see what happens :) Mine still runs like new. A friend of mine had a ranger, locked the motor up twice and he never put it through half the $hit mine's been though... so, just personal experience here, but... Jeep I6>Ford V6

I worked at a small used car lot once as a mechanic and we had an exploder come in out of auction with a timing chain ratle and the Mitchel shop time to replace the thing was somewhere around 6-8 hours. Instructed you to pull the engine. Also if you have ever had to change spark plugs on one of the later varients....

Our I6 can or will leak oil, some have overheating issues in cherokee applications. But the joy of it is you can over heat one and still have hope of the engine surviving. Not the most hight tech motor out there but you caill get 250,000 out of them easy.

oh man...i forgot about the spark plugs haha, that last one was a nightmare! i got 5 out of 6...then waited a week til i put my body lift on to do the last one. haha, then i just reached through the gap in the wheel well.

My mothe rin law has an Explorer Sport Trac and it is currently down for repairs on account of the engine starting to run real bad and it sounds like a rod knock. But she's also been pretty hard on it, using it for a farrier's truck, towing trailers, horse trailers, and doing a lot of driving in the desert heat.

The I6 is the more naturally balanced format for a 6 cylinder, that's why BMW uses it. Our power is lower in the rpm band and the engine is simpler as a pushrod design instead of OHC.

It comes to preference I think and maintenance mostly. Almost any engine will give you many miles of reliable service if well maintained, or grenade if poorly maintained. Even with it's current problems, my MIL's engine is remarkably clean and in good shape internally.

But seriously, what's it matter except for bragging rights? Run what ya got, improve what you can, and if it works for you, than that's the one to go with.

now if you where comparing the ford 300 I6 vs the 4.0, i'd say the ford had an slight edge. very very durable and lots of torque. but it is heeeeeavvvvy.

now if you where comparing the ford 300 I6 vs the 4.0, i'd say the ford had an slight edge. very very durable and lots of torque. but it is heeeeeavvvvy.

and the 4.0 isn't? Thats about the only ford motor i'll say is worth a crap. My stepdad had one it was a torque monster but the tranny was weak!

Take an XJ and an Explorer, both with stock gears. Put 33s or up on them. See which one sucks the worst off the line. Having had both, there is no contest. (They both suck given these conditions, but the I6 sucks less)

The Exploder will likely pass you at some point, but off the line the I6 gives you a lot of torque to begin with.........not to mention the fact that the I6 will likely have 200K+ miles and be a couple quarts low........

The I6 for durability and low end power.

The V6 if you want to go fast in a non lifted car. Yea the timing chains can be a real PITA. One chain from the crank to the cam, then a gear to a balance shaft in the valley, then a chain up to the cam gear on the back side of the engine.

The V6 if you want to go fast in a non lifted car. Yea the timing chains can be a real PITA. One chain from the crank to the cam, then a gear to a balance shaft in the valley, then a chain up to the cam gear on the back side of the engine.

Leave it to the engineers as ford to dream that clusterfawk up!

Leave it to the engineers as ford to dream that clusterfawk up!

Their goal was to be able to use the same cylinder head casting on the left and right side of the engine. In that aspect it worked, practicality, not so much.

I'm an engineering tech student and one of the guys at work keeps ripping on me about engineers. to paraphrase... "engineers get 1 idea in their head and will stick with it no matter what, ignoring all input that will have a different result than their idea, but eventually they will have something very complicated, but it will work"

I'm not saying all engineers are bad(as i am thinking of going to get a ME degree) but the Ford engineers are questionable in my book! That 4.0 is wacky and the 302 is JUNK if my old f-150 was a 300 i would still have it!

I'm not saying all engineers are bad(as i am thinking of going to get a ME degree) but the Ford engineers are questionable in my book! That 4.0 is wacky and the 302 is JUNK if my old f-150 was a 300 i would still have it!
WhaWhaWhaaat?! The 302 is definitely not junk! It was named in Hot Rod Magazines best american engines. It's one of the smallest and lightest V8 engines you can find (besides buick 215), good power and torque, good longevity, good aftermarket.
You could buy a bare bones 5.0 mustang LX coupe in the early 90s, add slicks, bump the timing, and add a short belt and run low 13s and still get 28mpg hwy.
There may have been a few bad apples from its 1962-2000 run, but overall its a very good engine.

If your gonna throw reliability into the 6 cyl mix, you HAVE to include the Chevy 250.

I was in now way defending Ford engineers there, its just one of many things that is just wacky from them. But at least they are trying.

Chevy on the other hand has found a platform that works and they are sticking to it, It makes power, its reliable and they get updated every few years.

WhaWhaWhaaat?! The 302 is definitely not junk! It was named in Hot Rod Magazines best american engines. It's one of the smallest and lightest V8 engines you can find (besides buick 215), good power and torque, good longevity, good aftermarket.
You could buy a bare bones 5.0 mustang LX coupe in the early 90s, add slicks, bump the timing, and add a short belt and run low 13s and still get 28mpg hwy.
There may have been a few bad apples from its 1962-2000 run, but overall its a very good engine.

Mine was a pile of crap! It was a PITA to get to half the stuff on it. Always had a problem getting it to idle right. THE 302 SUCKS!!!!! :D

just my opinion!

After owning both with 250k plus, I can tell you that the I6 holds up much better. The ranger 4.0 still ran well, but was powerless and used oil, the jeep still had plenty of power. This could be a maintenance question, but I have seen many 250k plus rangers and explorers, and while they do last that long regularly, they are pretty tired by then. on the other hand I have driven 325k jeeps that were still peppy like they should be. I am a die hard ford fan because every ford I have ever had would ALWAYS run, just would rarely run RIGHT. I love them for their abusability, but I think the jeep is a better example. The inline is a much better design for 6 cylinders, smooth even power with a broad torque band is perfect for working. The V6 has inherrant balance issues and USUALLY is harder to keep running smooth, and they also seem to have narrow power ranges.

Back