• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

jeep 4.0 I6 Vs Ford 4.0 V6

It must be a gearing thing because the 4.3 is only rated at 10 lb-ft over the 4.0. Horsepower numbers were the same.

Peak numbers suck. Its all about the curve.

That being said I'd still rather have the 4.0. I was younger when I had my S10 and didn't know much when it came to working on it, but the 4.0 just seems so much easier to work with.

hell, i even found a post in my other forum a guy who had his 4.3 built and use NOS and he hit in 11's for 1/4 mile time drag

none-the-less i wont complain about the 4.0 or the 4.3, i will just leave what its in, as they're good engine end of story

for the ford, get out of my face lol

Well, here's an actual reason the Jeep engine is better:

Seven main bearings.

The V6 will have four, a V8 will run five, but the inline six gives you seven.

Not a Jeep vs Ford reason per se, but a big difference between the two engines you're comparing...

Robert

I like that one. im gonna hold that one over his head.

Well, here's an actual reason the Jeep engine is better:

Seven main bearings.

The V6 will have four, a V8 will run five, but the inline six gives you seven.

Not a Jeep vs Ford reason per se, but a big difference between the two engines you're comparing...

Robert

And only 4 cam bearings, which is why at 5,000 RPM's our cam's bounce around like an epileptic badger.

It must be a gearing thing because the 4.3 is only rated at 10 lb-ft over the 4.0. Horsepower numbers were the same.
Actually.. depending on the vehicle specs the HP rating for the 4.3L varies. anywhere between 180-190 for mid 90's depending on 2wd or 4WD. The 4.3L setup in the full size trucks is is between 200-230ish I believe.
i have the GM 4.3 in my BlaZeR-2 and a 4.0 in my XJ

all i can say, id go with the 4.3 hand down. they're far more powerful. my friend even asked me to tow his cargo trailer with 3 bikes in it to the park, we was going at the maximum speed we can go, im right behind his XJ (im towing while he's towing nothing!) i know it was stupid but we did

i am currently towing my XJ with my BlaZeR-2 and im happy with how well the 4.3 tows the entire weight

however for the 4.0 (in the jeep) i probably will say its more dependable and FAR easier to work on than the 4.3 would offer. but i will still stay with the 4.3. but iam still happy with the 4.0 in the XJ with OVER 175k miles (odometer stopped working ) and still running very well!
Its not that much more powerful, if any. Where the power band actually is is a different subject. 4.0 I6 definitely more reliable. Gearing has a big factor. If you want to get into the difference aside from the engine, that is where the pros/cons are. XJ, Unibody, SFA, gearing S10/blazer, frame, IFS, gearing

Back