• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Improve your shackle angle

RCP Phx said:
Starting at 4.5" and above you should be looking at DB's or LA's.Dont forget about trackbar and steering issues also!

The ride might be a little rougher at that height but a lot of people do it with short arms in the stock location.

A lot of people also run thier stock steering at 6" and above, may not be the best but a lot of people do it.

The biggest thing I would be concerned with is making sure I had a HD aftermarket track bar, the tre on the stocker doesn't work good at all at that height.

great question, towing?

Also, I have a RE 3.5 lift, 4 years old, sagging a bit from all the extra tools/parts, etc. I carry. Will this little 1.5 of lift help and not hurt anywhere else?

I've loaded my XJ up to the roof with auto tools and the rest of my belongings, towed it empty and loaded, my observation is that more shackle movement would be better - my springs inverted into a "w" with the shackle in much the same position as when it was unloaded. I think if the whole thing had been freer to flex in the first place, the shackle would have moved and the spring may not have been in a "w".
I could be wrong, but I think the better shackle geometry is an all-around good thing.

anyone with these brackets care to comment?

I have loaded up the back with allot of weight and haven't found any problem. But towing something is probably a whole different story.

What I can tell you is that the only problem that I could possibly see will depend on what leaf springs you have for towing. If your spring is to soft, it might cause your shackle to come close to bottoming out with a new shackle angle.

But having these...that shouldn't be a problem b/c you can adjust your shackle angle to be what ever you want it to be even if your towing.....unlike stock of a fixed setup.

:cheers:

Ok, now that you said BS.... I really only pull a little 6x8 utility trailer that is so light I can move it by hand! I use it kind of like a truck bed, camping gear, dirt bikes, etc, nothing heavy so I am sure it won't be a problem. I will likely be ordering a set soon.

What is the "best" shackle to use with these brackets?

I have a couple of different sets of after market shackles but they are angled out just below the bushing and will only rotate a little ways before interfering with the bracket. Is there one particular shackle that is better than another? I want something with about 1" lift over stock. I plan on a fairly steep angle on the shackles for maximum droop.

You will obtain maximum droop, with longer shackles. You can notch the brackets so they don't interfere with your shackles.

Last edited:
If you don't have a welder can you run the bracket just bolted or does the bottom shackle bracket that only has the two bolts need to be welded to the rest of the drop bracket once set?

Or is that something I can go to an exhaust shop and pay 5 or 10 bucks for a quick weld...

im still interested in the towing aspect of this. how does this affect it?...any input from the creators?

I have loaded up the back with allot of weight and haven't found any problem. But towing something is probably a whole different story.

What I can tell you is that the only problem that I could possibly see will depend on what leaf springs you have for towing. If your spring is to soft, it might cause your shackle to come close to bottoming out with a new shackle angle.

But having these...that shouldn't be a problem b/c you can adjust your shackle angle to be what ever you want it to be even if your towing.....unlike stock of a fixed setup.

:cheers:

While I haven't run this yet (I probably will later..), I looked at them installed on a couple of rigs in Moab.

I don't think you need to be concerned, they are very solid.

they are 1/4 one piece bent! hell u could just about use em as a recovery point! towing should be fine - just tow like you would with any lifted vehicle...

as far as driving not welded? eh, rolling out of driveway ya but on road unless you are driving slow to go get them welded i would not stray a couple miles from home... i would not go over 30-40 for more than 5 miles... just get someone to buzz em in - its only a couple plug welds...

oh and by the way I love mine and are the ultimate solution for my rear stretch having the shackle box boxed in and having multiple adjustment places for the shackles!

welding isnt a problem. i have access to a full machine shop.
i just like to tow a lot that's all. but it looks like as soon as i get the money im getting these. my friend tayman made his own set and i like them, but his arn't adjustable. for the money that these cost, i rather buy these and have that ability.

Ok, I've heard they are soft but my question is how much body role is this going to give me. I've eliminated my rear sway bar and want to know if I am going to have to dig it out to put it back on. No problem either way, I kept everything. That is the only thing I didn't see on the thread. Awsome set up, I definately want a set. Would it be cheaper if I drove down to pick them up or would it matter. I live on the south side of Indianapolis.

To ask the same question again what would be the best shackles to use with these?

Ok, I've heard they are soft but my question is how much body role is this going to give me. I've eliminated my rear sway bar and want to know if I am going to have to dig it out to put it back on. No problem either way, I kept everything. That is the only thing I didn't see on the thread. Awsome set up, I definately want a set. Would it be cheaper if I drove down to pick them up or would it matter. I live on the south side of Indianapolis.

To ask the same question again what would be the best shackles to use with these?

Right now I'm on the stock shackles/4.5 RE springs and I have no body roll and the ride is smooth. I would guess that the best shackle to use would be the one that gives you the required lift or droop, whatever you are going for.

These are well worth the money, the install is easy and the only concern I have is I have some big gaps at the forward facing plug welds but I was able to tack them up good enough and will keep a close eye on them. I also welded mine at the rear crossmember and down the side seams. They are not going anywhere!

Back