• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Improve your shackle angle

garr said:
Really nice Stuff, Now that you have the shackel (rear) end covered is it possible to make a bolt on extension for the front leaf spring mount?
So we can gain a little lift & keep the pinion angle correct without having to shim?
Front & rear leaf spring extensions would be great!!

That is something I thought about as well, might just be the next thing on the list.

garr said:
Really nice Stuff, Now that you have the shackel (rear) end covered is it possible to make a bolt on extension for the front leaf spring mount?
So we can gain a little lift & keep the pinion angle correct without having to shim?
Front & rear leaf spring extensions would be great!!

Thats an interesting idea - space it correctly to use an MJ leaf pack.

If I see this correctly, your marketing this product for people who dont have access to welders or any other kind of fab equipment.

Your design is a pretty good one, but the thought of having two bolts holding this together deosnt seem like the best solution. A stitch weld would work well, but again, it seems to be a product someone would buy if they didnt have a welder.
a7fb1f24.jpg

It only looks like you have 1/2'' of play, maybe a bit more in those slots. Just get rid of that play and have regular bolt holes. It would make the design a lot better, and not having to worry about making sure those bolts dont slide.

Starboard M said:
If I see this correctly, your marketing this product for people who dont have access to welders or any other kind of fab equipment.

I have a welder and a grinder. I have no other fab equipment nor a good apptitude for it.

This product is perfect for me, and made my christmas list.

I'd say 20% of my chapter is exactly the same. The other 80% have access to us.

Starboard M said:

Your design is a pretty good one, but the thought of having two bolts holding this together deosnt seem like the best solution. A stitch weld would work well, but again, it seems to be a product someone would buy if they didnt have a welder.

It only looks like you have 1/2'' of play, maybe a bit more in those slots. Just get rid of that play and have regular bolt holes. It would make the design a lot better, and not having to worry about making sure those bolts dont slide.

The slots are for fine tuning only, the instructions will indicate that the brackets should be welded after you finalize your angle. BTW the slots are about 1" long, enabling you to have the exact angle you want.

Very cool fellas!

I wish you guys the best of luck. If anyone can pull it off, it'd be you two.

I'm looking forward to seeing what else you two come up with.

:cheers:

I have been building my XJ for months and spent hundreds of hours searching this site and have used everything I have seen here for the basis of my build, but I have to say this is one of the top one or two products I have seen!
Great design and mine is on order!

*VERY* cool. :greensmok

Dammit, I think I'm gonna have to buy a pair of these. I've got some thread problems with the body bolt on the left side, and this bracket set will fix it just about perfectly.

garr said:
is it possible to make a bolt on extension for the front leaf spring mount? So we can gain a little lift & keep the pinion angle correct without having to shim? Front & rear leaf spring extensions would be great!!

A couple yers ago Go-Jeep lowered his leaf spring mounts.
http://go.jeep-xj.info/HowtoRearLeafMounts.htm

I liked the idea and built a front set that bolts on, using several new nutserts, along with the Factory holes.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/lwade/sets/72157605161676975/

There are two holes, at 2" or 3" lower than stock.
At the rear of the leaf, I used a longer shackle, with holes at 2" and 3 longer than stock.
Lowering the mounts two to three inches allowed a leaf to be taken out, so now the leaf pack is almost flat and the ride is smooth, at 4" of lift.
A bolt-on rear shackle box sounds great. When experimenting, I prefer bolt-ons so if it does work out, I have not permanently screwed things up. Once something has been proven, then welding can commence.

Last edited:
That go jeep write up is good! i am goin to do that to my front leaf spring mounts cuz i need to brace them up after flipping my rear springs and stretching the wheelbase...
Awesome ideas.

Oh and i still am goin to buy this rear shackle box kit deal, cuz it seems so easy and simple, money well spent to save me some time!

in2fords said:
Will it work with the stock skid and tow hitch?

You guys with aftermarket stuff / stock skids and hitches have two options.

1) Lower all that stuff the 1/4" (thickness of the material these are made of). Reason being if you want to use the frame bolts these have to be flush with the frame or the stock shackle hole location will not line up.

2) Cut off the portion that mounts to the frame and weld the box in place, the way it is designed you have multiple rossette holes and all the corners can be welded.

Thanks for the questions.....keep them coming.

As a constructive criticism, I would suggest making a 100% bolt-in version as well. You might lose some adjustability, but for those real basic guys just bolting in a lift kit it would work fine.

Would be beneficial to you because you will pick up sales with that group of less tool equipped do-it-yourselfers

you can just bolt it in.
it's got those three holes on the framerail and the one for the stock shackle.

Might be a dumb question....but how's this work with a boomerang shackle? Too much shackle angle? It kinda negates the need for a boomerang, right?

Boomerangs do not give you a better shackle angle, the line from eye to eye is still the same. They simply allow better clearance with a stock shackle box.

So yes with our kit you can use any shackle you wish, including a boomerang.

As far as bolt on, our instructions say weld it, if you don't that is up to you. Will it work without welding probably, Adam has been running his for a while now, making sure his angle is right before commiting to the welder..........

BTW Using a fork lift to measure flex, Adam has gained 4"s of total travel in the rear. AND this is with stock shackles, longer shackles will yeild more flex.

Last edited:
BTW all material in these is 1/4" yes its overkill but you all like that right?

Back