• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Improve your shackle angle

Looks good, but you might need a little longer shock now, looks like you still have some more down travel to be had :cheers:

BRIANHO13 said:
Looks good, but you might need a little longer shock now, looks like you still have some more down travel to be had :cheers:
x2

razdrvr said:

:thumbup:THANKS:thumbup: I know I need longer shocks.

I just wanted to see what the rear end can do, so I left the front sway bar connected in these photos to stop the front end from flexing.

The rear end probably will not flex out this much for me when it comes to the real wheeling I do. Most of the flexing will probably come from the tnt long arm in the front, so I don’t think I really need longer shocks as of right now. Plus I don’t have the $$$ for new ones.

Last edited:
WheelinJR said:
It also looks as if your shackle is contacting the hanger on the compression side.

Yes I need to grind some hanger material for clearance, for the shackle. But I am still gaining allot more flex and a hell of allot better ride quality than I did with out these.

Last edited:
techno1154 said:
Ok. Educate me :dunce: What is 'Anti-Squat' and why is it undesirable?
it's a condition where the application of power to the rear wheels causes the rear of the vehicle to lift and the tires to push down, increasing traction .. think equal and opposite reaction .. in short; ass lifts, tires plant

the squat part is undiserable because it unloads the tires and allows them to spin easier

anthony said:
it's a condition where the application of power to the rear wheels causes the rear of the vehicle to lift and the tires to push down, increasing traction .. think equal and opposite reaction .. in short; ass lifts, tires plant

the squat part is undiserable because it unloads the tires and allows them to spin easier

With too much of it you can walk the axle under the rear as the body raises and can also cause wheel hop when the tires spin and grip again. It was most noticable when loading the suspension up against an obstical. It would also hop in 2wd when screwing around doing burnouts.

TNT said:
With too much of it you can walk the axle under the rear as the body raises and can also cause wheel hop when the tires spin and grip again. It was most noticable when loading the suspension up against an obstical. It would also hop in 2wd when screwing around doing burnouts.

A nicely built shackled ladder bar ought to remedy most potential issues, no?

WheelinJR said:
A nicely built shackled ladder bar ought to remedy most potential issues, no?

It will help, but the springs are meant to be mounted at the proper angle. The biggest issue is the spring angle, the rear mount is moved down to far.

Many people run relocated shackles with little or no issue, TNT I think you are trying to blow this way out of proportion.

I am running 6" long shackles at 45 degrees, with none of the issues you describe.

I did have to add a traction bar because my leaves are so soft they couldn't control the axle wrap, but 42's and 117:1 don't help that.

BTW here are some action shots for proof that they work on the trail.
DSCN2002.jpg

DSCN1975.jpg

Last edited:
Holy crap....

Yeah, thats all the proof I need! :D

I made my own version of these before they were available...

I dont have any of the unloading characteristics mentioned above...

my rig works pretty good... (at least I think so)...

stp84507.jpg

stp84509.jpg

stp84282.jpg

img_0911.jpg

stp84808.jpg

and the only 'unloading' right here is because my departure angle hung me, and my suspention fully drooped to touch the ground -
stp84811.jpg

stp84812.jpg

Last edited:
i wanna say something in regards to the anti-squat theory and in defense of the word 'unloading', hopefully it will help clarify the point;

in order to compress the suspension equal amounts of force must be applied from both the top and the bottom .. to illustrate my point take a shock absorber and grab one end in both hands and try to compress it .. nothing happens right ?? now grab each end and push with only one hand .. still nothing happens until you resist with the other hand and push back .. this is 'squat', the suspension compresses and the rear end seems to 'squat' down .. when the forces are great enough it will actually cause the tire footprint to shrink to the point of breaking traction and it is said to have 'unloaded'

now pull out on both ends of the shock to make it longer, it takes the same amount of pull on both ends to stretch it .. visualise it on a rig .. the force that lifts the top of the shock creates an equal amount of force that pushes the bottom of the shock down .. this pushes the tires onto the ground, increasing tire footprint and increasing traction

bear in mind that the variables in this equation are infinite and the nature of a leaf spring suspension and it's inherent 'sloppyness' compound the issue .. what works on paper might not cut it in the field and what seems to be theoretically impossible might hook up like velcro

there are a bunch of very basic drag racing suspension theory websites that cover this subject in greater detail and with way more clarity than i can hope to muster

How would mj spring work, I'm sure they ae longer. Are they, and will they work with these brackets or is it over kill. Thinking of useing the main or maybe complete. Just installed TNT bomerangs are it does ride better. My old shackles were 1.25" new ones are 1.5".

I have a question. I have a RE 4.5 Super Flex waiting to go in. If I use my ACOS I have and get this shackle relocation system, will I need new and longer control arms up front? I am just worried about changing the geometry under the vehicle by going higher.

Thanks,
Silent

I would say if the arms are the right length for the 4.5" lift you will probably be ok going up the extra 1/2-1" that they would need to go up to make everything level out.

Silent said:
I have a question. I have a RE 4.5 Super Flex waiting to go in. If I use my ACOS I have and get this shackle relocation system, will I need new and longer control arms up front? I am just worried about changing the geometry under the vehicle by going higher.

Thanks,
Silent
Starting at 4.5" and above you should be looking at DB's or LA's.Dont forget about trackbar and steering issues also!

Back