• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Improve your shackle angle

YES! :D

sleeperjeeper said:
What is a good angle for your shackles? straight down? angled one way or the other?

Between 30-45 has been the best for me, top of shackle closer to the front of the heep.

C85D4x4 said:
NO.......I want sheet metal......:looney:

don't our XJs have enough of that for you? :D

Jimbo_1321 said:
you can just bolt it in.
it's got those three holes on the framerail and the one for the stock shackle.

Did you read the thread or just look at the pictures?

The two pieces bolt together and the holes are slotted. They instruct you to weld those two pieces together after your angles are set. I wouldn't be brave enough to leave a slotted hole setup like that JUST bolted in.

Very good design and I want a set but personally I would not slot the holes and would weld the two together. Shackle angle isnt that big of and issue that you would need that extra inch of adjustment. I believe the multiple holes would be plenty and I believe it would be stronger without the slots. But were do I get some and how much becuase they will be welded on mine. No bolts for me!!!

Chad29860 said:
But where do I get some and how much becuase they will be welded on mine. No bolts for me!!!

PM myself or BRIANHO13 and we will get you set up.

Thanks

WheelinJR said:

The two pieces bolt together and the holes are slotted. They instruct you to weld those two pieces together after your angles are set. I wouldn't be brave enough to leave a slotted hole setup like that JUST bolted in.

They should also sell a set without the slots (Holes only), for those that want a Bolt on setup.

If I was going to do all this for shackle angle I would remove the stock box and make a longer one that has holes further up and uses weld nuts on the frame side. That way your springs are further out of harms way. Since the angle is increased use 1"-1.5" greasable shackles mounted in further over at a 45 degree angle would be the perfect setup. It would also allow maximum flex in the rear without having the higher side loads a drop box would have. You would only gain 1/2"-3/4" of lift because of the shackle angle. It would also have less antisquat then a dropped box shackle set-up.

I say build a bolt on box and a replacement weld on box that moves the spring forward.

Either that or get some Dodge B-van springs which have a longer main leaf for a bastard pack to correct the angle and use boomerang shackles to keep the shackles from hitting the back of the stock shackle box. One bumper bolt would also need to be replaced with a shorter one to increase the shackle clearance.

WheelinJR said:

oh right.
I thought you just meant the regular box part.
that would cost you like 5 bucks to get it welded at a small shop.

Well guys, I Finally got them installed. From only taking it out around the block 1 time, all I can say is...........the ride...........is amazingly smooth!!!

I can now push up and down on the corner of my rear bumper and see and feel movement.

Ill let everyone know how well it does next time I take it out on the trail.

Here are some pics of it installed

(Note: I took out the bolts for the frame rail so I can get by trailer hitch back on, and I also loosed the adjustment nuts so I can fine tune the shackle angle this weekend. So no flaming me for installing it wrong or that my shackle angle looks off)

O and sorry for the crapy pics, I will get better 1s once it’s all properly installed and on the trail

IMG_0202.jpg

IMG_0204.jpg

IMG_0205-1.jpg

We are adding a couple more holes for rev 2 so you can use the slots or use the holes (please keep in mind the lower piece should be welded to the upper piece after your final location is determined).

fwm92q.jpg

C85D4x4 said:
Well guys, I Finally got them installed. From only taking it out around the block 1 time, all I can say is...........the ride...........is amazingly smooth!!!

I can now push up and down on the corner of my rear bumper and see and feel movement.

Ill let everyone know how well it does next time I take it out on the trail.

Here are some pics of it installed

(Note: I took out the bolts for the frame rail so I can get by trailer hitch back on, and I also loosed the adjustment nuts so I can fine tune the shackle angle this weekend. So no flaming me for installing it wrong or that my shackle angle looks off)

O and sorry for the crapy pics, I will get better 1s once it’s all properly installed and on the trail

IMG_0202.jpg

IMG_0204.jpg

IMG_0205-1.jpg

The angle looks good as long as your shackle doesn't hit the mount on compression. Let us know how you think the increased anti-squat effects the handling.

When I tried this basic set-up a few years ago and the added anti-squat would cause the rear suspension to extend fully and walk under the chassis on rocky trails when the front end would have to crawl a steep ledge or wall.

I switched to using Dodge B-van main leafs which are about 1.5" longer from the centering pin to the rear bushing and a mix of XJ leafs. Combined with 1" lift boomerang shackles set at a 45% angle at ride height reduced the anti-squat enough to eliminate 99% of the issues. They rode great and flexed out great. The increased shackle length only provided 1/2" of lift because of the angle. It also keeps the springs up out of harms way.

I haven't noticed any of those issues with mine.

TNT said:
The angle looks good as long as your shackle doesn't hit the mount on compression. Let us know how you think the increased anti-squat effects the handling.

When I tried this basic set-up a few years ago and the added anti-squat would cause the rear suspension to extend fully and walk under the chassis on rocky trails when the front end would have to crawl a steep ledge or wall.

I switched to using Dodge B-van main leafs which are about 1.5" longer from the centering pin to the rear bushing and a mix of XJ leafs. Combined with 1" lift boomerang shackles set at a 45% angle at ride height reduced the anti-squat enough to eliminate 99% of the issues. They rode great and flexed out great. The increased shackle length only provided 1/2" of lift because of the angle. It also keeps the springs up out of harms way.

Ok. Educate me :dunce: What is 'Anti-Squat' and why is it undesirable?

TNT said:

I haven’t noticed any anti-squat or any bad handling effects yet. I have some flex pic Ill post up some time this week too.

Back