• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

44s & a 3 link

Anyone know how makes this trackbar mount?

DSCF1507.jpg

Dunno

looks similar to https://store.jksmfg.com/merchant2/...0_925&Store_Code=JKS01&Category_Code=FABParts

Got both frame stiffeners partially welded up today.

I drilled two 7/8s hole on both side of the frame where the old crossmember stud/nut used to go. That was NOT fun, i broke one of my expensive step drill bits, and a couple other drill bits. I was using my dads super heavy duty milwaukee drill, that damn thing almost broke both my wrists multiple times.

I then welded in 1/2 nuts inside the stiffener on both sides.

Getting the nuts lined up with the holes i drilled in the frame was not an easy task, but after some "convincing" i got both stiffeners lined up great.

Heres the passenger side link mount

IMG_20110712_215145.jpg

IMG_20110712_215231.jpg

Im going to weld the upper link mount to the inside of the frame rail for added support. I might even run a gusset that goes from the rear of the link mount to the inside of the frame rail for even more support.

Ill get better/more pics of everything after its all burned in tommorow.

Got the stiffeners completely welded in, the only thing is im concerned about small gaps between the stiffeners and the frame rail, could i seal the thing up with some seam sealer? You guys think it would hold up and stop water from getting between the frame and stiffener?

I mocked up my control arms:

IMG_20110715_163600.jpg

Steering and trackbar mocked up:

IMG_20110715_164110.jpg

Set my caster at 6 degrees when the coil buckets are at 0, completely burned in the control/coil bracketry and the upper control arm link tower. Painted it, rustoleum brush on, semi flat

IMG_20110715_185839.jpg

My DOM is here, so i have basically everything i need to finish the jeep, oh yeah, i also need som etype of flex joint at the axle, poly joints will NOT work, because the coil brackets are mounted wider than my control arm brackets, so rather than cutting the coil brackets back off, and playing with those until the point directly at the brackets on the frame, ill just order some type of flex joint, whether it be a heim, currie johnny joint, or a ballistic joint. Besides im sure a smidgeon of misalignment wont do much.

Im leaning towards ballistic joints because i could trade my poly bushings in and get those? Anyone out there ever used ballistic joints? Id rather stay away from a heim at both ends.

just my opinion, but if you goto anything other then a poly/rubber bushing, aka a hard joint of somekind... there will be vibes/noise transferred.
I am using 1 1/4" heims on both ends, considering the use of the vehicle the small amount of vibes shouldn't matter that much.
so be it ballistic joint, evolution joint, heims, etc there will be vibes. so I went for what I figure will be the longest lasting, strongest joint for the money.

just my opinion, but if you goto anything other then a poly/rubber bushing, aka a hard joint of somekind... there will be vibes/noise transferred.
I am using 1 1/4" heims on both ends, considering the use of the vehicle the small amount of vibes shouldn't matter that much.
so be it ballistic joint, evolution joint, heims, etc there will be vibes. so I went for what I figure will be the longest lasting, strongest joint for the money.

How bad exactly are the vibes?

It seems like a lot of things get hyped up on the interwebs, for example, a lot of people hate an aussie in the front axle in the snow. Supposedly youll drive your rig right off a cliff, i ran that setup for 2 winters, and i loved it.

Maybe ill just have to run it and see for myself.

How bad exactly are the vibes?

It seems like a lot of things get hyped up on the interwebs, for example, a lot of people hate an aussie in the front axle in the snow. Supposedly youll drive your rig right off a cliff, i ran that setup for 2 winters, and i loved it.

Maybe ill just have to run it and see for myself.

vibes? zero. course I haven't driven it yet (still building)
I will be driving mine on the road occasionally, but I figure with large offroad tires, chopped doors, no rear roof the few vibes I may get won't be enough to keep me from driving it.

same thing on the Aussie up here, is it the best? no, but I didn't install of for on-road drive-ability, and I drove it accordingly.

Anyone know how makes this trackbar mount?

DSCF1507.jpg

i made it.... i used a cut up bracket and some plate and added it to the ballistic coil bucket.....

also since it looke like your usingmy old waggy build thread you NEED to brace the upper mount to the frame very well..... it will bend without proper bracing

Ok, so i didnt really like wheeling with 3.73s 33s and a 5 speed, hopefully it will be better with the 4.88s 35s and a 5 speed.

Now, if i still dont like it, id be willing to swap in an aw4. Id also be willing to trade my ax15 (78k) and all needed accesories, hopefully to someone more knowledgeable when it comes to swapping transmissions. So yeah, just getting the word out there.

How did you like the front spool?

Ok, so i didnt really like wheeling with 3.73s 33s and a 5 speed, hopefully it will be better with the 4.88s 35s and a 5 speed.

Now, if i still dont like it, id be willing to swap in an aw4. Id also be willing to trade my ax15 (78k) and all needed accesories, hopefully to someone more knowledgeable when it comes to swapping transmissions. So yeah, just getting the word out there.
If you wanted to come to NH for that swap we could do it in my garage. :D

Stock steering? If so you will get bump steer with your track bar set up as it is. If you go crossover you would have them closer in length.

Stock steering? If so you will get bump steer with your track bar set up as it is. If you go crossover you would have them closer in length.

Nope, its a OTK setup with chevy 1 ton TREs. Ill take pics of the steering and drag link angles, they are identical.

In other news, i ordered my wheels, spacers for the rear, and the copperhead fab rim stiffeners.

Hopefully it will be all together in about 2 weeks.

Today i got my passenger side hub/rotor/wheel bearing assy. all together, it went smooth, but i need a new caliper.

The driver side however, was a disaster, i broke two of my torx bits, when they broke the tips stayed inside the head of the bolt, so when i tried to drill through them, it just destroyed the aluminum around it. I got pissed off and smashed the hub off...oops, its okay they were shitty superwinch hubs anyway.

So now i need to order hubs, calipers, and pads....it just never ends.

Warns just work and and it is easy to get parts for them.

Back