• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

4.6L stroker in the works

Well, the Isky problem was my fault. Even though the dots ont he timing set lined up, it was still a tooth off. Fixed and degreed.

Its running well. Started up on the first try like nothing ever happened. Broke the cam in for 30 minutes(felt like 3 hours), drained the oil after it cooled off and filled it with fresh oil and new filter. Only thing that concerns me a bit is that with 10w-30 oil hot idle oil pressure is 15 psi. Its not under spec, but I had around 30 PSI previous. I'm going to keep an eye on it, perhaps the pump isn't as tight as the previous one. Idle is around 600, and a bit rough (just like the Comp Cam 68-231-4). The valve train is much quieter. I can't really tell a difference between the Comp Cam and this one, but it has also been a while since I have drove it. The hesitation and stalling issue is gone, guess it was from the damaged cam. I'm going to re index the cam sensor because I don't like the direction its pointing, more to the passenger side then straight back.

Now for the bad... that damn knock from the bell housing is still there!!! Two transmissions, 3 torque converters and the engine gone over with a fine tooth comb. The torque converter to flex plate bolts are torqued to spec at 28 ft/lbs. I don't know.

I am considering a stroker from Titan. How did you like it? I hear they just came out with a 4.9l producing somewhere around 315 hp. Let me know what you think.

KJ

I am considering a stroker from Titan. How did you like it? I hear they just came out with a 4.9l producing somewhere around 315 hp. Let me know what you think.

KJ
Titan's a joke. They can't get their 4.6L strokers to work properly. Their 4.9L is bound to cost the buyer even more in hidden repair/ downtime costs.

Have you considered Mountain OffRoad Engineering....
I have had MORE mounts in for 6 years....
If you are concerned about vibrations...; the poly material is softer than other manufacturers... and provides excellent performance...
You will notice a little vibration at idle, but otherwise you dont know they are there....

Looks to be a strong design....
Are you planning to do alot of tough obstacles with your Jeep?
What kind of HP/TQ are you expecting to put out when your engine is tuned with the new cam ?

In '02 Steve Ward "BONES" built a 4.7L stroker before all the engines and kits were available... running a Detroit in a D44 and TruTrac in a D30. .He offroaded trails in the Missouri, Arkansas, Carolinas, Colorado and Utah areas...and his engine was putting out around 300 HP/ 325TQ. As far as I know.... the MORE mounts were more than capable of the abuse he put them thru....
With that said.... Strengthening the area where the mounts attach to the engine is certainly a good idea....

Many of the stroker kits were out a while prior to 2002. I'm looking to hit around 280 hp... going to be hard to get a 100% true number as it will be taken at the wheels. But I do have a slightly modded 4.0L dyno sheet to compare to. I'm not so much interested in a stronger bushing as I am in strengthening the engine block mounting. I have seen mounting bosses break off the engine block.

With the stroker and different cam poly mounts can be very loud annoying some times. I'm going to be switching to the Brown Dog rubber mounts soon.

Gorgeous Jeep! Sorry you're having so much trouble with the engines. Let's hope this post finds you running great.

So reading through this I got the itch to finally buy my buddies 4.7. The only thing is that he built it from my old '88. Do you know if my '99 head and accessories will fit on an '88 block? This stroker has a worked over HO head but I'm pretty sure I have to keep my head for emissions.

As a side note, what is a used (~40k miles) stroker worth?

Still got a slight knock? I have heard you cannot use an unmodified girdle with the 258 crank. Interference issues.

Still got a slight knock? I have heard you cannot use an unmodified girdle with the 258 crank. Interference issues.

It would be much more than a knock if that was the case. There is no way it would run without modification IIRC. I had to shim mine about 1/4-3/8" of an inch.

Back