• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Yacolt Burn Motorized Trails Update!

LJ dude

NAXJA Forum User
Copied from Pistons Wild

"To All Off-Road Enthusiasts:

As you may have heard there is good news brewing in the Yacolt Burn State Forest. After nearly seven years of planning we are finally going to begin building new 4x4, ATV, and Dirt Bike trails as part of the first phase of the DNR's ten year recreation plan for the Yacolt Burn.

Yes, it's true - it's actually going to happen!

Leadership from Piston’s Wild Motorsports and the Jones Creek Trail Riders Association (JCTRA) as well as other supporting organizations has already engaged in several meetings with the Washington Department of Natural Resources (DNR) to discuss the “nuts and bolts” of implementing the trail building process.

Throughout the month of May, our groups will be working on the ground with the DNR finalizing trail layout and roughing in the first sections of new trails. Much of the roughing in process will be handled using heavy equipment, so the need for volunteers will be minimal during the month of May.

Once a portion of the trails has been roughed-in, we will need an outpouring of volunteer support to complete the trail building process. Toward the end of May, dates will be announced for work parties in June and beyond and that is when we will need the off-road community to join in and help build the new trails!

To put it simply, Piston’s Wild Motorsports will take the lead on building most of the 4X4 trails and JCTRA will take the lead on building most of the ATV and Dirt Bike (single-track) trails. Both groups will be working in cooperation with the DNR and in accordance with the approved plan. In most cases there will be separate operations going on in the forest for these projects although it will not be uncommon to share resources to promote building trails at the least cost and the highest rate of efficiency. In some cases volunteers may be asked to help out with either type of trail building project as the need arises.

Please remember that it is in all of our best interests to see both groups succeed as the trail projects are linked together. If one group falls too far behind, the other will not be allowed to proceed. This will be a team effort to bring additional motorized recreation to the Yacolt Burn!

So how can you help?

The best way to stay informed about the progress of the new trail building and what you can do to help is to register on the www.jctra.org website (ATV/MC) or www.pistonswild.com forum (4x4). Registering on these internet sites will add you to the respective clubs email address list which means you'll get up to date emails letting you know what's is going on, when there are work parties planned, and how you can get involved in the process. It is 100% free and you do not have to join or become a member of either club to be added to the email list(s). Registering is easy and you can have your name removed from the list(s) at any time.

We will also be posting periodic news and calls for volunteers on some of the local forums such as PNW4WDA, Thumpertalk, and OMRA forums . . . but adding your name to these email lists is the only way to ensure that you will receive the most up to date and accurate information.

We thank you for your patience and we look forward to seeing you on the trails ! ! !"

We've all heard this before. I'll reserve my joy for reality rather than more promises and talk.

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/usa-northwest/813375-legal-wheeling-yacolt-burn-coming-soon.html

Ready, Set, Go !

We expect to begin preparing existing trails that are already on the ground as early as November 2009. Our goal is to have at least 20 miles of 4x4 trails ready and open to the general public before the 2010 recreation season (opening May 1). We will work on construction of additional “challenging” features as weather, funding and volunteer hours allow. That should bring us up to a total of 25 miles of dedicated 4x4 trails. 

Got the email today, good to hear.

If you guys need help with any ground work let me know. I think you and I both have more than a few miles under our belts up there. ;)

P1050737.jpg

Thanks guys, we really appreciate the support. And as you all know its been a long journey with lots of bump in the road.

We've all heard this before. I'll reserve my joy for reality rather than more promises and talk.

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/usa-northwest/813375-legal-wheeling-yacolt-burn-coming-soon.html

Ready, Set, Go !

We expect to begin preparing existing trails that are already on the ground as early as November 2009. Our goal is to have at least 20 miles of 4x4 trails ready and open to the general public before the 2010 recreation season (opening May 1). We will work on construction of additional “challenging” features as weather, funding and volunteer hours allow. That should bring us up to a total of 25 miles of dedicated 4x4 trails.

AwesomeXJ, I understand your skepticism. Hell I'm still a little skeptical. This is a project thats been going on for 7 years and Ive been involved in for the last 4 years. And your link above is more then enough reason to be skeptical. Ive been through the ups and downs. Dustin and I have over 100 hours each scouting trail through the Yacolt Burn. These trails shouldve been opened up years ago. But unfortunately for the 4x4 community there was a lawsuit from an environmental group that was opposed to the project. Thats whats been stopping this project since July of 2012.

I agree that in the past that the goals and statements that were put out there were overzealous. Heres a perfect example.
"Our goal is to have at least 20 miles of 4x4 trails ready and open to the general public before the 2010 recreation season (opening May 1)."
As far as Im concerned this trails update isnt a reason for celebration. All that it is is a statement that the trails project isnt done yet and that we are finally moving forward. Something that we havent been able to do in almost 2 years. As you said the time to celebrate is when the rubber is in the dirt. Thats our goal and once the work gets started I hope that you'll be there to give us a hand.

See you on the trail

Daryl

This is great news, if it happens. I'd think about waiting until I have a shovel in the dirt or a bull dozer on the ground before I post anymore trail updates.

Last edited:
Back