• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

XJ Pulls out Baja Trophy Truck

MahnkenVille

NAXJA Forum User
I just saw the episode of Monster Garage where they race a Baja 1000 trophy truck ("On the Road: Baja Trophy Truck 2"). Jesse got stuck in the silt and they searched all over trying to find a 4x4 to pull him out. A guy finally offered to help them out and pulls up in a lifted XJ and pulls out the 700 horsepower, 5,000 lb truck out of the sand. Pretty cool in my opinion.

o5dpxy.jpg

Leave it to Jesse James to get stuck

You obviously have no idea what Baja silt is like. You can't see a thing and can't let off or you will get stuck. It will stop a truck from 70mph to 10mph in about ten feet.
I guess they don't need to install brakes in that case. If its anything like pismo than its hard to get stuck if you maintain 30 mph, much less 70 mph, but your right I have no idea what I'm talking about.

I guess they don't need to install brakes in that case. If its anything like pismo than its hard to get stuck if you maintain 30 mph, much less 70 mph, but your right I have no idea what I'm talking about.

The silt is 10,000 times worse than sand. Its super fine....like corn starch.

The silt is 10,000 times worse than sand. Its super fine....like corn starch.

I use to visit family out in the south west. You cant really drive though silt, you have to float over it. It really is like cornstarch, it just swallows everything up. You could drop a quarter into a pile of it and it would hit the bottom.

I use to visit family out in the south west. You cant really drive though silt, you have to float over it. It really is like cornstarch, it just swallows everything up. You could drop a quarter into a pile of it and it would hit the bottom.
Sounds like the sugar sand in Florida.

I've done enough driving in sand to loathe the thought of trying to drive through silt like that.

I'm not a fan of ole' Jesse "DB" James, but I can't really knock him for getting buried in silt. (Other then the part where if you can afford one of those trucks, you should probably learn how to drive it,...)
You cant really drive though silt, you have to float over it. It really is like cornstarch, it just swallows everything up.
Nasty, nasty, nasty stuff.

There's a short section of silt on the Mojave Road right before you cross Soda dry lake. You just gotta hammer down.

Back