• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

XJ BUILD THREAD (Potential)

Djmack

NAXJA Forum User
Ok, for starters, this could be a short lived thread depending on how the next 2 weeks go. I have been offered a free XJ. This is an earlier model with the vacuum disc. front axle. I'm not entirely sure of the year. But, It's a 4 door 4x4 AW4 auto 30/35 combo, Completely stock.

Since I already have a half built '95 XJ and an '04 Dodge ram 2500 DD. This will be a complete project with little to no care if i get it running again. Anyway..

My Plan: To pull the engine, transmission, XferCase, all interior, both axles. Rebuild. This could go one of two ways.. I could just do a stock rebuild, sell it for a nice chunk of change.. Or, I could rebuild and upgrade on the go. This would include XferCase upgrades (SYE, wide chain), Axle upgrades (D60's?), Fully plated frame and internal/partial Exo(cage later down the road)

Give me some idea's. Just remember, I'm a baller on a Budget. lol... If and when i get this, Ill post pictures of it and the beginning of the tear down. I plan to start with the engine and transmission first and finish those before i touch anything else.

I Offer Four Words:
Caged
Stroker
On
Fourties

I Offer Four Words:
Caged
Stroker
On
Fourties
Some good words. But those 4.2 Cranks are getting harder to find, unless some one found a cast and put them back into production.

baller on a budget, ie cant afford shit? finish your first project if its half built.
As much as i would like to, Its my secondary in case if something happens to my truck. And I'm not planning on this being a short term build.

What would be cool, is if i could come across a dodge diesel 5spd with the granny 1st for even better torque ratio.

Its a 1990, It has 228k miles on it.. i think theres more oil outside the engine than inside. And the body is Very straight. I need to wash it, see if theres still a clear coat underneath. If so, than i think ill keep it as is, except ill pull the rubber siding off and paint the kick panels black .

Ive been thinking, Im probably going to gut it all out, and start throwing steel reinforcements on it, cut the rockers out, weld in square tubing, weld in tubular wheel flares that attach to the front and rear bumper along with the rock sliders. Having everything out will give me a chance to also clean up any possible rust and respray the undercoating. After im done with all of that, Ill swap parts from my other jeep (including the manual trans and newer wiring (1995))

So, I pulled all the seats, carpet, headliner, trim, and center console today. The floor was in mint condition compared to what i expected to find for a free jeep. Just a little rust around the body plugs can be taken off with a grinder. Ill just primer up those spots after im finished and put the interior back in after a thorough pressure washing. Being one of the older cherokee's The rear bench back piece had a bend in the middle. Im guessing this can be taken out with a swift hopeful kick. The seats where still in pretty good condition, The driver seat had a rip and that was about it. As far as the carp goes, it looks like it was a family jeep never cleaned in its life. There as soda all over the carpet, jelly beans, skittles, peanuts, crumbs, tampons.., some changes. lol.. Further progress to be posted.

If any of yall are military and have ever lived in the dorms, They are strict about what you can and cant do in the parking lot. With that being said, it might take more time to get things done with either taking it to the hobby shop and using a stall for an hourly rate, or being incognito and doing it at night.

I had a "blast" today cleaning the carpet. Soooo Disgusting. I should have invited Mike Rowe out to help me.. anyway, its about as clean as im willing to get it. There are still a few slightly off colored spots in the carpet, but its no longer looking sad and pathetic. Tomorrow im vacuuming out the floor of its remains, grinding the rust, primer and paint on those spots. After that, I will put the carpet and front seats back in. Before I put in the back bench (Which bent back after stepping on it) I've decided to Rhino Line the back part with some free roll on bed liner i got. If i have time, I'll also compression test each cylinder. If any one can remind me what the stock compression PSI is, That would be great. I believe its 140psi. I expect a little bit of a drop due to the engine being old, Also the 10% rule.

Back