• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

XJ-8 Grill (Round headlight grill)

So now you have taken away the square headlights which is the staple of the XJ and you have made it a 13 bat grille? I see the "out of the box" thinking but you kinda defaced the Jeep idea there IMO.

Scottye

1_sik_xj said:
So now you have taken away the square headlights which is the staple of the XJ and you have made it a 13 bat grille? I see the "out of the box" thinking but you kinda defaced the Jeep idea there IMO.

Scottye

I used CJ grills so I don't see that as defacing the Jeep idea. The 7 grill slot thing never really ment much to my Cherokee because the last time I counted my original grill had 8 openings.

Boulder_jeeps said:
Just found this, different as well.
custom-blackie-lrg.jpg

i think that's detours rig, but i'm not sure.
1002919tm6.jpg

no.. i meant the fenders were tubed in the more recent photo, the first pic posted asked if it was the detours rig. i said yea it does, but before the fenders were tubed (like they are in the more recent pic)

I figured it out! I looked and looked and I think I know whats throwing it off, the chrome bezels of the side markers make your grill look added on. Had you used a 97+ header panel or if you paint the bezels body color the whole thing will tie in together better. Some one photoshop that for the man.

rocklandxjer said:
no.. i meant the fenders were tubed in the more recent photo, the first pic posted asked if it was the detours rig. i said yea it does, but before the fenders were tubed (like they are in the more recent pic)

Oh, I see said the blind man. Jeff

Thanks for everyone opinions. It did help me change a couple of things when building the grill and painting it. I did accomplish what I set out to do. I have round headlights, kept it Jeep (CJ grills), and be the first to try something like this and have it look well done. Not just hack what is existing and try to stuff something in it's place. Thanks again to all that gave ideas. Thanks 87xjco for the help with the paint.

Cruzin Illusion said:
Thanks for everyone opinions. It did help me change a couple of things when building the grill and painting it. I did accomplish what I set out to do. I have round headlights, kept it Jeep (CJ grills), and be the first to try something like this and have it look well done. Not just hack what is existing and try to stuff something in it's place. Thanks again to all that gave ideas. Thanks 87xjco for the help with the paint.

I think you should be proud of your work. The skills/time/effort involved in doing this is pretty signifiant and no matter what others think of it, it turned out with exceptional quality and what you set out to do!!

This thread has also reminded me of how open people are with their opinions, particularly when it is set on the "web".

As a side note, what paint/process did you use for the "silver" on the bumpers? Lower doors? other trim? Has it held up well to rocks and roots and such?

Thanks,
Michael

2xtreme said:
I think you should be proud of your work. The skills/time/effort involved in doing this is pretty signifiant and no matter what others think of it, it turned out with exceptional quality and what you set out to do!!

This thread has also reminded me of how open people are with their opinions, particularly when it is set on the "web".

As a side note, what paint/process did you use for the "silver" on the bumpers? Lower doors? other trim? Has it held up well to rocks and roots and such?

Thanks,
Michael

Thank you!!!

I don't worry to much about what everybody says the stuff I make. I post things up like this to get possible ideas I might not have thought of. Everyone is an individual and has their own thoughts on what they would want.

The silver I used on the bumpers, lower doors, rockers, ect... is a Chrysler bright silver base coat clear coat. It holds up well to the tree branches, bushes, ect.. well. I do wax the jeep regularly. You wouldn't believe how much the wax protects your paint. The rockers and the bumpers that get rock rash, I usually just tape them off, scuff them up and reshoot them every winter. I doesn't take that long and they look good.

Cruzin Illusion said:
Thank you!!!

The silver I used on the bumpers, lower doors, rockers, ect... is a Chrysler bright silver base coat clear coat. It holds up well to the tree branches, bushes, ect.. well. I do wax the jeep regularly. You wouldn't believe how much the wax protects your paint. The rockers and the bumpers that get rock rash, I usually just tape them off, scuff them up and reshoot them every winter. I doesn't take that long and they look good.

Thanks for the info. I figured it was a two stage paint. Looks very nice!!

Michael

First of all I'm not knocking you at all...

Now what still bugs me is the turn signals, they just seem out of place.

Perhaps TJ flares (or YJ/CJ to keep the CJ theme) with their side markers and some sort of round lamp up front below the headlamp. The area where the lamps were would need to be filled in of course...

Back