• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Woohooo! past the first 2 of 8 ASE!

four_shot

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
I've been putting them off for a long time. Now that I've started, I want to get them all over with. Either way I'm a little stoked to be able to say that I'm certified.

yay me!

I'll stop tooting my own horn now.:laugh:

shooting to hit master before years end.

go for the parts pro cert too, even if you don't ever plan on working a parts counter. if you ever get tired of working on cars but want to stay in the biz that will give you an in to the parts dept at a dealership instead of getting stuck behind the counter at a regular parts store chain.

keep up the good work :thumbup:

They wont let the job experience cross over for parts pro. Luckily I have realtime counter experience too....lol....I did list it on my job experience work sheet so a verification and the actual test will be all i need. But, I'm thinking a Master cert would carry more weight. Good news is that we were on the same page. ;)

Good job, I have 17 under my belt, Including 2 master certs, looks good when looking for a job.

2 more down 4 to go! :party:

I got my gas engines and engine performance yesterday!

I was sweating the eng. perf. test so much I had heartburn. turns out I only got one wrong! I am my own worst enemy...lol:laugh3:

Good job, I have 17 under my belt, Including 2 master certs, looks good when looking for a job.

show off.

auto, deisel, and what is #17, L1?

P.S. thanks to all for the congrats.

I'm thinking I'm going to skip the desiel. L1 is definately on the agenda. I'm also thinking of taking X1 as well. Working at a Midas i think it would help.

I'm thinking I'm going to skip the desiel. L1 is definately on the agenda. I'm also thinking of taking X1 as well. Working at a Midas i think it would help.
Midas? wtf? Guess where I work?

Just don't be "that guy" who roams the internet claiming to be the master of all things mechanical because you are ASE certified.

Good thing to have if you are in the profession but just remember that in the end its only about .05% of making you a good mechanic. The rest comes from experience and the willingness to learn from the old timers experience.

I've seen far too many know it all kids who think that the school they go to makes them smarter than the mechanic who has worked on cars for 40 years.

I have all 8 and the l1 passed 3 while buzzed. Caught a ride with a service writer we were early so we went to the bar. The l1 is not that difficult they give you a packet that has all the readings from a vehicle and the test questions are diagnosis.

Just don't be "that guy" who roams the internet claiming to be the master of all things mechanical because you are ASE certified.

Good thing to have if you are in the profession but just remember that in the end its only about .05% of making you a good mechanic. The rest comes from experience and the willingness to learn from the old timers experience.

I've seen far too many know it all kids who think that the school they go to makes them smarter than the mechanic who has worked on cars for 40 years.

Dr. Moab is correct. I hire & sometimes fire mechanics. Good knowledgeable mechanics are hard to find. ASE is good but only one component of the whole package.

BTW: We hire off a civil service list, had 28 openings and the list only had 21 candidates. $39 per hour plus medical, retirement, sick pay and vacation. Next budget cycle have those seven openings plus 28 additional plus up as the transit system expands service.

Dang Tom, if I still lived in California I would be hitting you up for a job! Working on flat rate is starting to get old.

BTW, ASE has been good to me. In 2010 I won Lexus/ASE Master Technician of the Year, got a Caribbean cruise for the prize. Then last year this thing showed up in the mail:
large.jpg

Yes I feel old looking at that. :gee:

Dr. Moab is correct. I hire & sometimes fire mechanics. Good knowledgeable mechanics are hard to find. ASE is good but only one component of the whole package.

BTW: We hire off a civil service list, had 28 openings and the list only had 21 candidates. $39 per hour plus medical, retirement, sick pay and vacation. Next budget cycle have those seven openings plus 28 additional plus up as the transit system expands service.

I put off getting my certs for over a decade for that exact reason. I hated seeing all the ASE certified idiots in my feild locally giving techs a bad name so i didnt want to be associated with them. I would hope my posts in OEM tech would lend some credibility to to my trying to stay humble.

On other news, I'm scheduled to take the other 4 tests late july early august! Wooo hooo!

ASE=Ask Someone Else :D Had a guy working for me who said that when I asked if he had any ASE certifications. We fired him after a few weeks. Nice guy but couldn't fix a ham sandwich.

I have had my ASE certificates for many years. Just renewed 9 of the tests last year, passed them all with only a couple missed questions each. If you know your stuff, they aren't very hard at all.

My only complaint is that with the new computerized tests they won't allow me to schedule the A1 through A8 tests and the L1 test in one day. Had to split it up into 2 Saturdays, pissed me off because I was nowhere near the max time allotment for each test.

Back