• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

WJ brakes overhaul questions

ShoeterMcgav

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
Yo JeepFam!

As the title suggests Im overhauling my dubJ brake conversion. First and foremost I ordered some powerstop powder coated Akebonos to replace my Teeves. So far so good, they fit fine without having to change to 16" rims- id have ground the caliper before doing that anyhow, but they fit!
So I just I ordered new hub spacers from Iron rock with all 4 ¼" washers for the calipers too. Mine were rusted and crusted (like everything the previous owner touched)...
NOW, a few parts I'm struggling with. I have warn manual hubs and the 6 12 pt hub bolts that hold each hub to the knuckle have been cut. Idk how much but I'd guess just past the little guided/ tapered tip. I have no idea why, but they are a pita to get em started. SO, on the list of things I want to upgrade. Do I look for 2004 wj hub bolts? Or just stock xj hub bolts? With the ¼" spacer I'd think I'd need longer ones right?

Then comes the caliper bolts. These too have a ¼" spacer. Do I look for an OEM bolt, or can these just be found at a hardware store?

I've looked through many build threads about the wj swap, but very little if any mention of these 10 bolts.

Last question is about pads. I've liked Hawk and stoptech on other vehicles... but I also like serviceability on the jeep. Meaning, I can get a lifetime warranty on pads at the zone or advanced or orielys etc... any preferences on Duralast, car quest, or brakebest?

Thanks for any and all feedback!
Happy ID4 yall

Grade 8 or 10 and good to go.

Pads rotors are consumables. I find it slightly funny we jeep crowd thats changes and modify a jeep with tons of money would be worried about a warranty on a consumable part like brake pads.

That said im running some kinda ceramic carbon fiber mix of all kinds if stuff pads on my cummins. Pedal is pretty on point now.

But ive been driving it for over 200k and feel normal organic stuff works to. I do a couple sets of pads to 1 rotor. Ive changed rotors 4 times i think

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I get buy with AutoZone stuff up front myself.... Just some gold's and heck with it. Stops great imo

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I'll take the rusted hub spacers.

Didn't mean to hit the button but not sure what else I meant to say.

4piston calipers im sure are out there that mach wj caliper bolt spacing

Carbon fiber may actually not brake as well as plain Jane stuff as it work better at higher temp compared to a cold panic stop on the freeway
So it may be a placebo effect on my end. Or just the fact that I replaced rotors that had 50k on them

Same as drilled and slotted decreases surface area and clamping area but everyone says they're drilled and slotted works better than plain old rotors with no holes or slots.
Rotors are now inexpensive enough if a person is curious they can try both

I get buy with AutoZone stuff up front myself.... Just some gold's and heck with it. Stops great imo

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Ya my thoughts as well. This isn't a go fast rig, the bigger pistons and rear discs are plenty to hold the rig on a slope. Prolly go autozone as well, once they are low free replacements is a pretty solid deal

Grade 8 or 10 and good to go.

Pads rotors are consumables. I find it slightly funny we jeep crowd thats changes and modify a jeep with tons of money would be worried about a warranty on a consumable part like brake pads.

That said im running some kinda ceramic carbon fiber mix of all kinds if stuff pads on my cummins. Pedal is pretty on point now.

But ive been driving it for over 200k and feel normal organic stuff works to. I do a couple sets of pads to 1 rotor. Ive changed rotors 4 times i think

I'm not "worried" about a warranty... I'm of the mind that this isn't a track car so things like brake dust and slotted rotters aren't a big deal. I also don't blindly throw money at my rig. You then answered your own question. The regular brakes work just fine for our application. My brembos on my subi is another story, those rotors will glow if I don't have the proper pads rotor combo.

The rings are yours man... not a perfect fit on the hub, and the alignment is a pita but they work. You can make em fit then send em home with a welder if you want em.

Iron rock sold me the spacers, and all 4 caliper washers for like 50 shipped.

The caliper bolts can be grade 8 I suppose... the hub bolts though, are a special taper and well, just different. Hard to find the same kind of head, 12 point aside it has better clamping force than a regular hex head. I'm assuming the wj ones are longer to make up for the longer unit bearings. Have to make sure I'm not getting into anything with the manual hubs, the rotors are pressed on so harder to see what's up.

Speaking of, I just realized my regular hubs/ axle shafts that I carry for spares lack rotors. That's problematic if I grenade a warn hub an need to swap it.

What rotors are yall running on the wj swap? I've read 2000+ xj rotors? But haven't seen an actual reason why. I want to just pull some from a bone yard to go with my spare shafts/ hubs.

Patriot rotors or something. Matched 5x4.5 bolt pattern. I think many just drill wj rotor using xj rotor as a guide.

Think there's some mustang rotors with 5x4.5 pattern

Im going to drill wj rotors since I have them and they don't have to be super precise

Patriot rotors or something. Matched 5x4.5 bolt pattern. I think many just drill wj rotor using xj rotor as a guide.

Think there's some mustang rotors with 5x4.5 pattern

Im going to drill wj rotors since I have them and they don't have to be super precise

My uncle got his new WJ project and it will be needing the brake upgrade. We'll just finish installing the bumper and winch from 4Wheelonline before we can take a closer look and see what the previous owner has done. Appreciate any update. TIA

Is it an actual WJ or a WJ knuckle conversion onto an xj? If it's a wj, Oct nonbof this applies.

Accept the pads. I like the Hawk LTS pn: HWKHB446Y.725F

If you have the teeves calipers powerstop sells the akebonos for a decent price and they come powder coated. If you source em through 4wp you won't have to give em a core, which is handy... since my core would've been wrong had they wanted em

I think the caliper bolts are 38 mm stock length. I went with I think a 45 mm length. 50mm was a bit long.
I also went with the NAPA Adaptive rotor and Reactive pads on my latest WJ BB install. I have a set of Black Magic pads somewhere.

Good info there Thanks!

I ended up with dorman pn: 926-173 for the hub bolts. Oem direct replacement for 04 wj.. there are cheaper options but not locally for oem specifications. Keeps the desired flange head, but also ditches the crappy 12 point that is prone to rust/strip and converts to help head

I'll take the rusted hub spacers.

You really want em? They've held up fine for me the last 2 years, and however long the previous owner had em in there. Far from ideal just to be honest. PM your addy if so bro

I use XJ hub bolts, as the 1/4 hub bearing spacer makes it XJ length. I use stuff from NAPA. Past years, it could be 12 -pnt or 6 pnt heads. Last time, I think it was 6 pnt heads and a bit longer than stock. Almost that it touched the back of the wheel studs on the hub bearing.

Back