• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Windshield Wiper Fix...and new pics of the jeep

When the windsheild is dry do you notice the wipers traveling down faster when in slow speed, or is that all motor related?

Oh I see a response was already posting asking this too.....Mine only jump around when it's not entirely wet. Is this motor related?

Glad to see someone else knows what I'm talking about :)

WTF!!! You guys LIE!!!!

Haha, I went and replaced said bushings. I am glad I did it. Took about 30 min start to finish. (For those of you spending over an hour, using a press, vice, etc.....you're nuts!!!)

I missed using my torch, so I just torched the bushings and poked them out. Then used two channel locks to press the new ones in.

But, like I was saying.... You LIE!!!!

Not only did this not fix the problem, it made it substantially worse. Now instead of a nice soft erracting skipping, with the new bushings, there is a nice tight precision skipping. Like twice as bad as before at least. On the upside, they no longer hit the cowl when on high.

So, I polished my windshield, then I waxed it (all with an orbital buffer). Now the window feels as slick as glass. (Oh would have thought!)
The don't seem to skip as much.

Oh, and btw, my neighbor thought I was nuts standing there with the garden hose, spraying the windshield with the wiper running.

Oh, and with a dry windscreen, the wipers actually come to a dead stop!

The threads on wiper bushings reference part number 49447 as the current package to get from parts store. Anywhere I look I only find 49445 which I have read is obsolete. These 49445s I find, are these just left over / overstock stuff? Would I be OK buying these, or is the 49445s I find are for something else now days?

TIA

Thanks a bunch. read this last night and just did it now after work.
Now my jeep wont get made fun of for its passenger wiper smacking the windshield trim, or being stuck up in the middle of the window.

Yes the part numbers are still the same. Got it from Advance.

skipped to the end sorry if this has been mentioned, but those bushings are universal to pretty much all chrysler/dodge/plymouth/jeep van/truck applications through the 90s.

Next time you order from Rockauto, I got a set of these bushings from there as well. I've been wondering how to install them. Thanks for the write-up!

OK, Just Finished the Bushing install. The bushings looked very good to start with however, I went ahead and replaced them. The Problem is still the same. The wipers are overrunning the "A" Pillar on the drivers side and just touching at the bottom of the windshield. Has anybody run across this and how did you correct it ???? Thanks. :dunce:

OK, Just Finished the Bushing install. The bushings looked very good to start with however, I went ahead and replaced them. The Problem is still the same. The wipers are overrunning the "A" Pillar on the drivers side and just touching at the bottom of the windshield. Has anybody run across this and how did you correct it ???? Thanks. :dunce:

Yep, same here, done bushings myself no help with over run. I've come to the conclusion the stop adjustment in the wiper motor might be the problem. I will let you folks know if a new motor works.

Yep, same here, done bushings myself no help with over run. I've come to the conclusion the stop adjustment in the wiper motor might be the problem. I will let you folks know if a new motor works.

I'm curious to see if you found a solution. I have the same problem now. Years ago, I used this very thread to replace my bushings on my 97 xj and that solved the problem. The problem came back a few months ago and I immediately assumed the bushings were the culprit. The old ones still looked great, but I replaced them anyway and the problem is still there. I have not tried going back in to see what the problem may be.

Another bump to the top for a great write-up.
Autozone had the Dorman 49447 bushing kit at a great price, in stock. It was $6 or $7.
Bushings did not seem too loose, but apparently they were. Fixed the parked location (all over the place) problem with the wiper arms.
I love this forum for great tips for our XJs.

Back