• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Windshield Wiper Fix...and new pics of the jeep

Even though they say 2000-1993 cherokee I have an 86 and they were the right bushings so if you have an older XJ just go to the help section at Kragen/Advanced auto and they will work.

Yup I'm working on something with Dorman Products right now(the HELP! people) to see if I can get some other stuff put on the shelves. Sun visor clips among other things. Mine snapped off(after 17 years) the other day when I was putting the sun visor down and I can't find them anywhere accept the junkyard.

i have to ask how much lift do you have and what size tires on the jeep.

i think i have seen a couple of jeeps with the 93 hood orniment

Last edited:
Gnat5680 said:
i have to ask how much lift do you have and what size tires on the jeep.

i think i have seen a couple of jeeps with the 93 hood orniment

It has a 3" Skyjacker and 2" RockyRoad...it's actual lift is 6"...and those are 34x10.50 LTB's on 15x8" Rockcrawlers.

Yeah...some other jeeps came with the factory hood orniment...but what sucks is that it costs a lot more to have one!

Got mine done tonight. 1/2 hour job. Only needed the following:
10mm socket
12mm socket
19mm socket
1/4" drive rachet
Hammer
#2 phillips
Flathead or torx head ( don't have one but used a flathead )
Pipe pliers ( instead on vise )
Grease for the new bushings

Piece of cake of a job. You just have to watch out which way you install the bushings. I found it easier to do 1 at a time, that way each replacement took no more than 15 seconds.

Did mine last week,IT SUCKED trying to get the damn thing back in the cowl but I got it done.For around $4.00 this has to be the cheapest thing I ever done to my jeep that work so well!!!

Sucked 2X for me. Did mine last year...thought I remembered how it went back together and tried to install in the cowl. Spent over an hour trying to get it in then realized I had the arms on the wrong way...spent another hour trying different configurations until one worked...sucked big time but in the end it was worth it.

Grease each bushing...it will last longer and run smoother.

You guys need to do more work on your trucks then. I never removed the arm, just popped off and replaced 1 bushing at a time. Also, for re-installation, you have to put it in twisted at 90 degrees, then twist into position once in the hole. If you have to fight it to get it in, you are doing something wrong.

I guess you're just a better mechanic than me....I've only totally rebuilt my jeep from the ground up with out a shop even touching it since I've owned it.

I did mine the same way u did Calata. Pair of robo-grips on either side of the bushing to pop em out one at a time, went back in without a problem(i did put a little lube on em first). Getting the whole assembly out took a little twisting and turning, but it went in easily. As long as you line up the bolt that holds the motor down on the correct side, its not much of a prob putting it all back in there.

I appologize in advance for bringing back this thread, but i just did this, and what a difference! I am so happy that the wipers dont smash the cowl everytime i hit the switch. And my cherokee is an 88, so it was pretty bad! I Strongly recommend this to anyone with wipers that have worn bushings. From start to finish took me 20 minutes.

My wipers jump around sometimes. It gets annoying. Do these bushings sound like the culprit? They don't hit the cowl or anything, just instead of a smooth motion, they jerk. Also, with no water on window, and on high, mine move EXTREMELY slow. So I wonder if it is just a worn out motor causing all of this.

looks like a hotty, jeep looks good to btw

I wipe down my wiper blades a couple times a year with rubbing alcohol. It is amazing how much black crud comes off and how well they work after. Just like new. An old guy at a parts counter told me to try this years ago when I complained that my wipers only lasted a few months.

Eventually you have to replace 'em, but now I can get a couple years out of mine. FWIW.

I'm assuming once everything is back together you used lithium grease/silicone to lube moving parts?!?

Yup, I put some regular old marine grease inside the bushings before I put them on the posts. Actually, I almost always use marine grease instead of the regular automotive grease.

Back