• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Who's going?

that's what I wanted to know... I'm not the type to slam the skinny pedal, and I tend to blow U-joints before axle shafts... from what I've done, I've found out that if I don't get bouncing, slamming, I'm pretty much OK. I haven't done a whole lot of rocks... mostly really tricky, really flexy dirt. anybody have pics of some of the harder spots? I mean... I do things that even guys with lockers struggle with... just takes some judgment.

Rocks are MUCH less forgiving than dirt. If you're breaking axle joints on rutted dirt then you're going to explode them in the rocks. Rocks bind up the wheels in big holes and against big rocks and ledges, which you just don't get in dirt. Also, if you've driven mostly rough dirt trails then you'll find rocks are different. The gearing thing is also an issue, with 35" tires and stock gearing it's even worse. I'd give 10 to 1 odds of you running the trail and having axle breakage.

Been there, done that, not doing it again. But, I won't be running with you guys, I'm going in Thurs, so it's up to those who you'll be holding up. Like I said, we all are happy to deal with incidental breakage, but most likely breakage is another matter.

BTW, that is a very nice jeep you have. Do those fenders have any give/flex, can you lean into a rock and not have them crack?

IMG01119.jpg

Thanks.
The front glass is pretty thick and can take a small impact, but I would'nt recomend leaning them against rocks much.

The rear is pretty flexable, but would crack if leaned up against rocks.

The bright side, I guess, is that they crack instead of bending into other parts like the hood and doors ect. they're all easily replaceable for not much more money than steel parts.

Eric

so what you guys are saying is it's probably not a good idea... haha. I've been in the area before, so I know there are other trails that I can play on. is anybody planning on running the easier ones?

I've done more than JUST dirt... when I break joints, it's usually because I've gotten the jeep bouncing hard in loose stuff... just the combination of not perfect pinion angle, axle wrap, and shitty gearing likes to explode U-joints.

I mean... I screw around in what few rocks there are at Hollister Hills SRVA... but I know I can't do the "mini rubicon". I do know my limitations, but I have to see the obstacle to know if I can drive it or not :p

This was back in 2003...
...not fun when you have to pull the carrier to get the pieces out...
standard.jpg

Also not fun when you have to drain the fluid and pull the cover just to get at the C-Clip to get the axle out. :fuse:

I mean... I screw around in what few rocks there are at Hollister Hills SRVA... but I know I can't do the "mini rubicon". I do know my limitations, but I have to see the obstacle to know if I can drive it or not :p

The Mini rubicon at hollister is flat unlike the hills on Swamp, also at Hollister you can get a tow truck and are not 5 miles away from any roads. If you go bring at least all 4 spair axles and a extra rear driveshaft, you should be ready to winch yourself out of more then a few spots and have all the tools to fix your own rig if it dose break.

Or you could go to Dinky Creek and camp out with us then run the easy lines up Bald. Mt. or try to grab a open seat.

I am not say'in "Don't go" but I am thinking you should listen to what others have said about what you are running.

Cheers

Also not fun when you have to drain the fluid and pull the cover just to get at the C-Clip to get the axle out. :fuse:

The Mini rubicon at hollister is flat unlike the hills on Swamp, also at Hollister you can get a tow truck and are not 5 miles away from any roads. If you go bring at least all 4 spair axles and a extra rear driveshaft, you should be ready to winch yourself out of more then a few spots and have all the tools to fix your own rig if it dose break.

Or you could go to Dinky Creek and camp out with us then run the easy lines up Bald. Mt. or try to grab a open seat.

I am not say'in "Don't go" but I am thinking you should listen to what others have said about what you are running.

Cheers

I have spare 30 shafts I can bring if someone wants to tote them around and the race jeep always has spare steering and driveshafts mounted in it that anyone with problems are welcome to use.

Eric

Alright guys, I think this is my plan: Go. but stay away from swamp! haha. I'll stick to the easier trails... Bald Mtn, Brewer Lake, and whatever else is around and not too hard. I'll gladly take a couple spare axle shafts, if somebody is just giving them to me! I already have a spare DS, and U-joints... I'll definitely go up there and explore the area. I've been up there once in our previous jeep... it was stock. we ran brewer trail, and came to a point where my dad said "turn around, we still have to tow the boat home". I want to finish the trail!!!!! Anyways, looks like I'll go for it, and just make a trip of it with whoever else can't run swamp.

Wish I could make it but I'm definately out.

Right on man. Glad you decided to still come. Be careful of Brewer, if you make that last drop just before the lake you might not be able to climb/drive back up it.

Alright guys, I think this is my plan: Go. but stay away from swamp! haha. I'll stick to the easier trails... Bald Mtn, Brewer Lake, and whatever else is around and not too hard. I'll gladly take a couple spare axle shafts, if somebody is just giving them to me! I already have a spare DS, and U-joints... I'll definitely go up there and explore the area. I've been up there once in our previous jeep... it was stock. we ran brewer trail, and came to a point where my dad said "turn around, we still have to tow the boat home". I want to finish the trail!!!!! Anyways, looks like I'll go for it, and just make a trip of it with whoever else can't run swamp.

Shoot I did swamp a few weeks ago then the dusy and I thot swamp was harder. I did it last year and this year it just seems so much worse. But thats what I like the trail is never the same two years running.

THanks for the trail update. I dont doubt it, and I'm glad it is tougher than last.

Well guys after much debate ive decided that im not going to make this one, as much as i want too i just cant afford it :(. hope to do this run sometime in the future.

Right on man. Glad you decided to still come. Be careful of Brewer, if you make that last drop just before the lake you might not be able to climb/drive back up it.

Hey thanks, good to know.

I've done all of that :p but then again, I've also been in the same situation as the grey one when the log jam was torn up like that... Where do you live red rock-it?

to everyone headed to this event -

Have a great time, and be safe! I'd love to be there, but unfortunately 1000 miles seperate me from this event.

:thumbup:

Back