• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Who HASN'T had a passenger side motor mount failure?

andyr354 said:
Is this more common on rigs with a manual trans? I wheel mine and others all have autos, have never had this problem.
knock on wood.

9Years & counting, Still good on my 93. Hope they don't :passgas: now.

Rob

I don't know if my jeep is special or what but there is alot of things that have never happened to mine. 1987 4.0 AW4 ; the plastic overflow tank for the radiator has NEVER failed (I have the complete service history and the truck has been in the family since new), the exhaust manifold is the origional one ; as is the S-pipe (s pipe is rust and will need to go in a year or so, the exhaust manifold is a little rusty as well), and the motor mounts have never broke, both are origional. I know for a fact that the TDC/CPS sensor has gone a few times, and from what I hear that is somthing almost regular for cherokees.

Not........................ yet, and i aint holding my breath either...

Not here.... '95

Well mine just broke. I have a 95 with an auto, owned it since new. Coming home from work last night I went over a rough set of RR tracks. As soon as I hit them I started getting this clunking sound. After some investigating I found that all three bolts on the passenger side motor mount had sheared off in the block. This looks and sounds like it's going to be a pain in the @ss.

Before you start telling me to search the forums, I'm doing that right now. A new post never hurts.

What's the best way to remove the old bolts? It doesn't look likes there's much room to get in there to get the old bolts out. Do you have to pull the motor? I read that some people were able to drill them out with a right angle drill. What about new bolts? Can anyone tell me what size and grade I should use?

Find someone with a MIG welder and weld a blob of metal to the exposed surface of the sheared bolts. Grab that blob and extract the bolts (they usually turn by hand).
I did mine in about 20 minutes. You DON'T need to pull the motor!

jakecj7 said:
Well mine just broke. I have a 95 with an auto, owned it since new. Coming home from work last night I went over a rough set of RR tracks. As soon as I hit them I started getting this clunking sound. After some investigating I found that all three bolts on the passenger side motor mount had sheared off in the block. This looks and sounds like it's going to be a pain in the @ss.

Before you start telling me to search the forums, I'm doing that right now. A new post never hurts.

What's the best way to remove the old bolts? It doesn't look likes there's much room to get in there to get the old bolts out. Do you have to pull the motor? I read that some people were able to drill them out with a right angle drill. What about new bolts? Can anyone tell me what size and grade I should use?

I had a horrible p-side motor mount failure this time a year ago. Broke one of the tabs off the motor block. I had to weld a stud into the motor, it was quite an event. However, it's held strong ever since. How is your transfer case mount? I understand that the crossmember mount under the jeep takes the most torque. If you're constantly snapping motor mounts, maybe you should replace the T-case mount too. Also, check to make sure your cross member bolts are tight.

If you're still having problems, go purchase some of the after market brackets that use the extra holes in the block. That seems like the way to go!

Present xj owned since 99 and have never broken or replaced a mount or bolt yet. Was a 2x but used to do burn outs, now convrted t 4x. By the way, about 200k now.

With three failures of one component, wouldn't that indicate that you've got another issue as well? My 97 Manual 4.0 has 160k...they've never been replaced. I don't beat on it...but i don't pamper it either.

My '92 still has the original mounts, although my tranny clunks when putting it in drive. I may have a failing mount somewhere. I need to check on it.

Just broke an another passenger side motor mount. It is a 96 with a manual shift with 86k on the odometer. This time, the bolts broke when leaving a stop light. The wheels did not even break loose. It was a quick 1-1.5k rpm start. First one broke at 34k when I was driving on some cobble stones. I was on the gas, hit a bump, wheel hopped, and BAM broke it. I have a stock motor too. Given a stroker, how soon would the bolts fail?

Definitely thinking about upgrading to MORE Bomb proof motor mounts.

Back