• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Who has the highest Miles on an OEM 4.0L...no head/cylinder work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
somewhere around 100k on my 99. lost where i wrote down the mileage when i changed out gauges.

My old 87 motor had 249k on it when i pulled it, leaked quart for every tank of gas or by the week i should say. Pulled it cause i got a newer "supposedly" better running 4.0 as i was going to move in 6 months. Well ended up at the rebuilder with that one cause of cylinder wall damage. Put in the best of the best in parts, steel crank, cromally this and that, ported and polished, went broke when it came time for injectors, took the best of 12 and slapped em in. Have had nothing but trouble since, still runs like a champ when "she" wants to. Have mentioned in the "vaporlock" post what all i plan on doing with it yet, wished i had the knowledge and funds then. Wish i would have spent the purchase and rebuild money on a rear main and head job, bet that motor would still get me 22+ on the highway with the A/C running in the hot and humid North Carolina summer.......Now in Nebraska it is paying me back for scrapping it.......

But now it is my daily driver since some lady decided to pull out in front of me back in june and total out my 97 Dakota, 4x4, V-8, towing, auto, extended cab, mud machine!!! I wont give up on it!

Cory

1992 W/ AX15 274000+ Still running strong. I change the oil twice a year weather it needs it or not. LOL. Its my DD with a round trip to work of 140+ miles a day. Now if I could just figure out hot to stop the body from cracking apart.

Tim D.

Mines pretty young, being a 95 4.0 with only 183,000.... Too bad the auto tranni kicked the bucket! I guess that happens when you strip the planetary gears? :D

Too bad it won't start though.....

i worked on one with 322k on it, and it still ran like a champ. i think it was a '91. but i have not seen the owner for over a year so who know what its got on it now or if it still runs (probably does). my 90 wagoneer only has 150k

I have 160K on my 1991, and it was trouble free until I hit 130K ...

Then all hell broke loose like the interior, seat rails, dash switches, starter, alternator, PS pump, steering shaft, idler pulley, AC compressor, radiator, front/rear main seals, axle seals, hydralic brake components, fuel lines, etc.

It's almost brand new again.

BTW--nothing worse than the starter going south in the parking lot of a strip club. Who do you call ?

Alas, I replaced the engine in my '88 last winter with rebuild after 174K miles. Of course, I bought it with 154K on the clock, so have no idea how the original owner treated the vehicle. I still have the original in my garage debating whether to return it for the core charge, or to tear it down and rebuild it some time. If the rebuild lasts anywhere near the mileage posted here, the original engine maybe bequeathed to my children!

I had 360k on mine when i traded it in on a new 97 tj, saw the guy less then a year ago, and he still hadnt opened up the engine. now have almost 200k on my 98 classic but dont seem to add up as quick now that I wheel every weekend instead of travel

Just bought a 91 with 205000 seems to run real good its the Select trac auto I'm parking it until spring and will leave it at the camp ground in Northern Mn all season I put synthetic in[hey will that clean out a high miles engine to much?}

roosterado9 said:
Just bought a 91 with 205000 seems to run real good its the Select trac auto I'm parking it until spring and will leave it at the camp ground in Northern Mn all season I put synthetic in[hey will that clean out a high miles engine to much?}

Did it always have synthetic in it. If not I wouldn't switch over at 205,000, you may discover new leaks....

Yea I think I'll just leave the syn in it for the winter [start it up on weekends] and change to some good reg oil for the spring-summer and fall months Ok to use heavy weight oil in the 4L HO? [say 15/40]

my 87 has 250K very hard miles.. was a teenagers daily driver before i made it the trail rig.. the 90 has 222K on it and it purrs smoother that any i've heard in a long time.. the 99 got a new engine (read: mopar reman long block) at 75K due to bad piston slap, now has 27K on the new engine and it idles like crap compared to the other rigs...

roosterado9 said:
Yea I think I'll just leave the syn in it for the winter [start it up on weekends] and change to some good reg oil for the spring-summer and fall months Ok to use heavy weight oil in the 4L HO? [say 15/40]

Heavy oil (15/40) is ok as long as you only use it in the summer. In the winter it takes to long to circulate. Some here run 5W-50 in the summer with good results.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back