• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Who has the highest Miles on an OEM 4.0L...no head/cylinder work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
199,000 93 2DR 4.0 AX15 (no third gear)

leaks oil from many different places (mainly o-ring adaptor)

blow by blowing oil out of dipstick tube !!! (previous owner never changed oil)

aside from the oil issues it runns flawlessly.

90' w/178k.....a little piston slap and lifter noise....lots of balls....really pisses my son of....this old thing has more sack off the line than his Grand. Cher........lol

hammerhead said:
92 Leredo 5speed,307's. 260.000 on 4.0 HO always used Quaker State 5w30 winter/10w30 summer.
Guess I'm gettin early onset, my odometer says
295,800. Change the oil myself every 3000,youd think I'd have a better idea of how many miles I'm puttin under the ol girl.

My 91 had 262,000. The last 5000 it had no oil pressure at idle and only 10psi above 1000rpm. Couldn't stand to see it suffer any more so replaced it with a Hessco 4.7 stroker bored .060 over. The old engine now hangs on the engine stand waiting for it's turn at becoming a 5.0 ?

345k on the XJ

hydrolocked twice, ran upside down once, overheated it a bunch, went on two trail rides w/ low enough oil to make the lifters rattle like hell, but when it's full and warm it's smooth and quiet.

anywhere from 3000-12000 mile oilchanges (no synthetic or nothin, just cheap 10w30)

never went farther than having the valve cover off.

ran circles around the 4.0 in my WJ (that blew up at 105k) and still feels stronger than the "new" one.

My 96 (5-spd) with 158K (biggest repair is a new distributor) runs as strong and smooth as when I bought it in '99 with 50K.

My wife's 92 (AW4) with 230K (biggest repair - P.O. replaced a water pump) really freaks out my shade-tree mechanic friend. "You sure this motor's never been rebuilt?" Yup. "When was the tranny rebuilt?" Never. He's used to GM/Ford stuff though. The motor's lost a little oomph but starts/runs/idles just fine and the tranny still shifts like new.

My wife jokes that in 50 years, when everyone's driving solar-powered flying cars, my grandkids will think it's cool that I'm the one old coot with a giant storage tank of illegal gasoline who drives on the old "roads" and bitches that the idiots at Napa Flying Car Parts don't stock oil filters and 10w-30 for a 73 year old polluter called a "Jeep". I think she's only half-joking.

I must have the least driven '92 XJ on this forum, possibly.
I bought it at 75K miles, and it now has 95K on it three years later.
The engine is pristine. The body has some rust from being in New England for ten years. It's possible that the engine has been replaced or rebuilt.
I have so much driving to do. I'll never catch up!

95k.....hell you have'nt even had to change the break in oil yet...lol..get some miles on that puppy, big country out there and what a better way to see it than in a Jeep XJ.

1989, 299,800 miles still running strong. Same tranny, too. Valve job at 153,000 that was because the head gasket was leaking.

--Karl

I have a 97 that just bit it at 226,000 because of a cooling problem. its a shame cause the thing was solid until one valve went bad. I'm counting on the new engine with about 70K to go at least 150K more.

94 stock 285K original engine and trans unopened. Tows trailer to the races every weekend about 160K one way. Works good jet black looks good. AC doesn't work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back