• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Who has the highest Miles on an OEM 4.0L...no head/cylinder work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
The head mechanic where I work has an '87 Commanche with 480K on the clock. Its a short bed with a 4.0, BA-10 (yes, the original BA-10), 231, D30, and D35.

Between 3 mechanics, the parts manager, and my self, we cumulatively have about 1.5 million miles on our 4.0s.

--Matt

Well, now I am nervous. I have a '96 with 192K and it couldn't possibly run better. Starts and cools perfect, never used a single drop of oil, no piston slap or pinging. Is a 96 block like mine less well built than the older renix ones? Do the old ones really have more nickel content and last longer, while the new ones are junk, or what?

where did you get this nickel content info? sounds kind of silly (but intresting) since all the 4.0's i've seen go were #6 rod bearings (except for the poorly maintained, drowned, left running upsidedown, overheated)

Last edited:
We picked up an engine out of an '88 XJ for my buddy's '95 YJ. It had 217,000 miles on the odometer, sat for two months unused, and fired right up. No unusual noises or anything; heck, this thing sounded better than my Wrangler did when I bought it with 63k. The guy only wanted $250 for the motor, computer and wiring harness included! It'll be a nice 4.7L stroker project.

'How 'bout this: '88XJ Limited (black) 354000 miles + '88XJ Limited (red) 184,000 miles + '91XJ ("plane-jane" - - blue) 222000 miles = 760,000 miles on the three we currently own ...............................

1994 manual tranny w/138,000 and the original clutch. I guess comparatively its just a baby at 10 years old!!!

Jackhill442 said:
Well, now I am nervous. I have a '96 with 192K and it couldn't possibly run better. Starts and cools perfect, never used a single drop of oil, no piston slap or pinging. Is a 96 block like mine less well built than the older renix ones? Do the old ones really have more nickel content and last longer, while the new ones are junk, or what?

Didn't the '96+ motors get a block redesign (added webbing, etc.)? I read that somewhere. Chrysler was apparently trying to solve issues with block warpage presnt in the earlier HO motors.

BTW, I have a 94 4.0 with 160,000 on it. Oil stays clean but it burns and leaks a little.

my first (93 country) 4.0aw4 had 239 when she went out in a fiery blaze (The interior burned up, but the motor was still prime.)
bought another (92 laredo) with the same setup 1t 185, and she's going past 200k this week.
Still better pickup, speed and MPG than my 98 Durango (Course the Kenne Bell supercharger upgrade takes a little more gas than average)

the water pump has been replaced twice, the Steering pump has gotten new pressure hoses.
had to replace the distributor (the whole shaft assembly had frozen up). Had a bad rattle by the flywheel, but it had just loosened it's bolts after 213k (the old one) Tightened them up and all was good.

Great motor. Great off and on road, and it gets a lot of both.

Maybe there's hope for my 89 limited with 202,000. In 2002 it floated for a about ten seconds before sinking to about window sill height in Houston flood waters. Engine stalls fast when sucking water. Drained everything and flushed and installed new synthetic fluids. Everything ok, except electric seats don't work anymore. Tranny is slipping a little when cold (30 to 40 degrees outside) but is ok when warmed up. I really need some new a/c lines, especially the one with the built in filter bubble thing. Got any info in this email me, please.
Ken

thooogy said:
The engine runs strong & clean - but it's ready for it's third clutch. (Does 90K for a clutch sound right?)

Well, not really. I just replaced the original clutch at 212K on my '92 while the engine was out. Slave cylinder was leaking and I just started a compression drop in #2, so I bit the bullet and put in a reman long block. A bit early for the 4.0, but I have to say I was happy with the clutch performance over the past 14 years. Not just highway miles either - a lot of trailer pulling and trail work. Most others I know of got 150K or more from the clutch.

Not trying to judge, but your shifting technique might have something to do with a 90K life - since that sounds shorter than usual.

Mike in NJ :patriot:

I sold my '90 a little over a year ago with 267K on it. The only things I did to the engine were injector o-rings, oil filter housing o-rings, new coolant bottle and valve cover gasket...from what I've heard it's still running around.

...my current '98 has 127K and an unsolvable fuel delivery problem :rolleyes:

98 with 267,000mi. Water pump, tstats, belts, hoses, idlers, oil filters and oil, plugs, caps, rotors and wires. Mobil-1 engine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back