• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Who has the highest Miles on an OEM 4.0L...no head/cylinder work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, I realize my 93 Grand Cherokee isn't really part of the question here, but it does have the 4.0L engine.

So far: 386,919 miles. The valve cover's been off twice, once for a bad gasket, once for new rocker-arms to quiet the valve train down. I've replaced all the parts that bolt on the engine at least once, radiator once, exhaust manifold once (with a used one from an XJ), Throttle Position Sensor once, rebuilt the front diff once, rear 4 times!!! (you'd think Dana would get it right eventually!), one time on the transfer case (249) due to a worn shift fork. Rebuilt the front driveshaft once, rear driveshaft twice. Oil-filter adapter O-ring 3 times, harmonic balancer once. The transmission (AW-4) has never had the pan off, but the drain-plug has been replaced twice.

I change the oil every 4000 miles, and every other oil change the fluid in the trans pan gets drained and refilled. I've changed the spark plugs 4 times and the dist. cap & rotor 3 times. Wires twice. Air filter once a year.

If anyone's interested, I've used mostly Chevron Supreme 5/30 or 10/30, depending on the season. And an AC-Delco or Motorcraft FL-1 oil filter. Also, the current rear differential has lasted longer than all the rest with over 100K on it. Shortly after I rebuilt it the last time it developed a very low whine. I started using Lubrication Engineers gear oil on the advice of a friend, and it quieted down and has lasted longer than the rest. I've heard the same thing from other people that use it (not the salesman!)

I drive mostly freeway miles between 75-80 MPH, about 40K/year. Mileage averages about 17 at those speeds but gets up near 21 at 65-70.

I've noticed lately that my oil consumption is up to about a quart/700 miles and I'm blowing some smoke. Also some interesting rattles coming from the bottom-end on start-up but still pulls hard and smooth right up to 4500RPM. I've got another complete engine that I'm putting together and I plan on swapping them in the next few weeks.

I also have two XJ's, an 88 & a 90 that my kids use. No problem with either of those other than the &%&^*& drivers door latch!

Gene

87 AW4 4.0, only thing I've done mechanical-wise is change the transfer case pressure switch, and today I changed out the TPS. 277,000 miles on the clock, and all of a sudden it's a completely diferent truck. You can't kill these things, at least not if you take care of them.

took this a few minutes ago...

JEEEEEP.jpg

:party: :party:

my 98 has 260k and i beat the piss outta that thing, my only gripe is that it has a little "thump" only noticable at 45 mph, no big deal until you get stuck behind someone going 45 mph

sense i don't want to read all 17 pages of this post..............how has the most miles......................just skining thru i see a 390 some thousand mile any body higher then that?????

This thread makes me a lot more comfortable with my 317,000 on my clock.

Flash.

My buddy has a '96 with over 425000 no major engine or tranny work. Did replace rear end with a junker unit. Changes his oil every 3000 miles and uses K&N filter. I just bought a '92 with 184000 for a grand for my 17yr old daughter. By her reaction you would have thought she got a Vette. Appreciation is definately NOT over rated.

1992 xj 4.0.........210,XXX miles or so. still runs strong. no oil leaks, no oil consumption that i am aware off. only things i have replaces is the harmonic balancer pullys belts, and timing cover (balancer wore through it)..
gota love the 4.0!!!:rtm:

:repair: My newly purchased 88 xj 4 door has 236k on er, she leaks and sounds likes its gonna blow oats anyday but its nothing a good tuneup and new vacuum lines shouldnt cure, the rear main will be done as soon as its warmer out
did the water pump AND alternator last night in zero degree temps noticed the harmonic balancer is creeping into the timing cover, not bad tho for 500 bucks huhNAXJA

89 4.0 /XJ with aprox 200,000 (odometer was stuck at 190 when i fixed it) leaks oil like a siv , but always starts. Always rode hard and put away wet.

93 4.0 /ZJ 190,000 works great other than the occaisional sputter, still has plenty of life left in it

I can't beat the high mileage record, but what about low miles. I have a '91 XJ Limited with 102k. The engine pulls super strong and the heep is in excellent shape. I lucked when I found it. It is from the coast so there is hardly any rust. Not trying to boast, just proud that's all. I hope that my rig will rack up as many miles as the rest here!! The 4.0L is a kick ass engine!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back