• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Who broke what?

03s and newer have a big problem with front drive shaft ujoints shelling out. The tolerances are way too tight and they cook pretty easily. I would bet this is the problem.

I'm going to take it to the local drivetrain shop and have them go through the shafts with me on their "pit", find what they think the problems are and then pull the stuff and have them replace/repair as necessary.

I do know that I have a bit of play in the carrier bearing and there is some slip in the splines on the 1st of the two rear driveshafts...I'll check the front out too.

I also think that the 600 cummins motor has so much power that I might be getting some axle hop too and may be fabbing up some traction bars...

my buddy has a 00 f350 7.3 powerstroke with 150k plus and has never touched his driveshafts either...with 88k on my 06 I'm a little bummed about it.

mac 'and i thought i wanted to lift a tow rig...no way' gyvr

Lucky in a couple of ways. It was a good thing it was the rear ujoint and not the front.

I can't imagine the damage a big heavy driveshaft could do to the underside of a truck still connected to the axle.

Yep, it could have been nasty. I thought I should replace the driveline u-joints, but I checked them and they were tight. With 190k on the original joints, I should have just replaced them.

We stopped traffic on the bridge, but overall it was a lucky break.

I was lucky...nothing broke getting there, while there or while driving home. That's because everything broke hours before I left for Moab.

Got a call from Mary this morning, the motorhome failed west bound at Tehacahpi weigh station. She got towed and repaired underwarranty is is heading home now. The turbo resonator (?) failed, pretty common item and throws the ECU into a limp home mode.

Back