• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Which to buy

Farley

NAXJA Forum User
OK. I think I'm in a pretty good situation, relatively speaking...

After losing my 99 to a collision with a deer, man I miss my Jeep, I am now in the market for a new XJ and have found two potential contenders.

First is a 2000 Classic 41k miles with the tow package, up country/off road package, sunroof, electric seats, etc.

Second is a 96 with 13k original miles, I checked carfax and the miles are legit.

Both have ABS so that means no 8.25 rear axel, but I was only planning on doing a mild lift and running 30's anyway.

The car will, for the most part, be a DD with a few excursions off road and an annual trip to the boudry waters with the wife and dogs.

Any input you guys might have on either one would be great.

Thanks in advance...

I'd go with the 2000 out of those two... Newer body style, more options, and IMO the more miles means it was driven, not just sitting around... But if I was in your shoes I'd be looking for a '97 - '99 with a 8.25 (or D35 if you want ABS) that comes with the HPD30, and less expensive, ignition system...

Just my $.03...

I have a '96 with 190K, and it has been flawless. I love it, and it never has any trouble, is a cinch to work on, and looks awesome. With a few upgrades like I have made, it can be an incredibly desirable car for the money. I just think the '96 may be more reliable, plus the interior arguably is better looking, less rental carlike. Let me know if you have other ques.

I would go with the 2000, for the tow package and the Up Country suspension. That means you'll have slightly higher rate springs, you'll have an external tranny cooler, and you'll already be at a good height to run 30" tires.

The 2000 does have a low-pinion front axle, but for the purposes you have in mind that doesn't appear like a major drawback.

You didn't mention the asking price on either one. But I would lean towards the 96 with only 13,000 miles on it. That is if it is equiped with a 4.0 and the price is reasonable.

thats a tough choice but with what you have in mind i would get teh newer one, which like eagle said should be good to run what you want

Get the 2000. The 96 isnt worth more than 7g's i idont care how low the mileage is...and like mentioned about...sitting for that long isnt always a good thing. Good luck w/ your choice...if it helps i just sold my 93 for a 00 classic and i love it.

Congrats on the new vehicle. So when does the sawzall comeout of the closet?

for a difference in 800 and 4 years of uncertanty - id go for the 2000...

Well the 00 was sold before I even had a chance to look at it. That being siad, they do also have an 01 Freedom edition with @ the same mileage (actually about 1k less) for the same price. Unfortunately I am not all that familiar with the Freedom to know if it is worth the look or what made the Freedom different than the other models.

Thanks for all of the replies...

Farley said:
Well the 00 was sold before I even had a chance to look at it. That being siad, they do also have an 01 Freedom edition with @ the same mileage (actually about 1k less) for the same price. Unfortunately I am not all that familiar with the Freedom to know if it is worth the look or what made the Freedom different than the other models.
Paint.

Don¿t recall if it's based on the SE or the Sport. Go by the options, not the fact that it's a Freedom package.

I know I told you to go with the 96, but I just went to kellybluebook.com and the 96 you are looking at even with the low miledge was $5800 for private party value, which was surprisingly low. I still think it may be a better vehicle than a newer one, but you would be getting ripped off.

If your talking freedom edition, you are no longer comparing apples to apples. I would look for a different XJ. '96 seems a bit steep, so I say keep looking.

If the price is that close, definitely go with the 2000.

13k on an 8-year-old vehicle is just asking for trouble. My first car was
8 years old with 30k, and *it* had mainly "age/lack-of-use" related problems for the first year or so.

Den

Back