• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Which Fire Extinguisher and where to mount in a 97+

BCParker said:
also, with a standard dry chemical extinguisher, pull it out of it's holder every once in a while and tap it upside down to keep it from caking up.

Only if it's an older model. Most of your newer extinguishers don't need it as the chemical has been treated with chemicals to reduce caking. however I know alot of the manufacturers still reccommend it, just don't worry if you forget for a while!

Ta-Daa!!! $20 WalMart special, its better then nothing!
extinguisher.jpg

XJ-addiction,

Glad to have a fire pro adding info! OK, so I will get the ABC, but I don't understand the "1A: 10BC".

Also, Where do you recomend I get it? I have a few around the house, I noticed they are Kidde's. They say on the back 3lbs 5oz min and 3lbs 10oz max. They do say 1-A:10-B:C, but what does that mean? Is this size big enough to carry one, or should I carry two of these or one of these and a bigger one? If so, what size bigger? I like these, just don't know how to mount it safely!

Thanks, sorry for all the dumb questions, just wanna get it right the first time!
Jason

3lb seems like it would be way to small. I plan on putting a 10lb unit in the MJ when I find a suitable place to mount it.

I have one of the smaller "household" sized extinguishers mounted under the drivers seat. It's larger than the common "auto" size but having a backup is still a good idea. I found that the mount bolts to the plastic trim securly enough to allow me to release it from the bracket with one hand while seated. On a side note, I prefer units with a pressure gauge on the side, I used to have one of those with the little green "push to test" buttons on top. Problem was it was in the middle of the trigger button and when I pushed it one day I was a little over-enthusiastic and discharged the damn thing momentarily. At least I wasn't looking down the nozzle at the time :) In a drawer somewhere I have a halon extinguisher I bought at Value City probably 10 years ago for like $5. It appears to have a canister of 1211 and 1301 side by side in a plastic housing. On the bottom is a sticker that says "Made in Israel". After reading this post, I am suddenly glad I never had to use it :skull1:

what about mounting it directly infront of each front seat. between the seat and your feet?

mine's mounted on the passenger-side a-pillar (in my '99). ricer-style. i figure the cargo area is definitely NOT the best place if there's really an emergency - i want it as close as possible. it fits perfect and looks decent, and i can grab it before i even leave the drivers' seat. i don't have a pic, but can get one if you'd like.

kinda in the way though...think about having to go around a right-hand corner with a steep embankment below. that might be somewhere you want to look. i have heard a lot of people complain about the lack of visibility around the enormous oh-sh*t handles in most late model pickups.

I think four wheeler or one of the truck mags did a story on a halon type it wasn' the exact cemical but it was similar. called h3r i think.

PapaPump said:
kinda in the way though...think about having to go around a right-hand corner with a steep embankment below. that might be somewhere you want to look. i have heard a lot of people complain about the lack of visibility around the enormous oh-sh*t handles in most late model pickups.

you might think so, but it's not. trust me! otherwise it wouldn't be there. it's like 5% more in the way than the A-pillar is.

91 Jeep Project said:
I had one on the A-Pillar of my last rig. It didn't obstruct my view, but it rattled like a bitch. Never again!!

JeepForSale10.jpg

was the crack a fashion statement.....for mall crawlin

I am starting to think a skinny ABC 3lb would fit along the tranny tunnel on my 97 on the drivers side. At top right where carpet meets plastic running slightly under dash. I think I could rest my skinny pedal leg on it..... unsure if this would be better than no leg support now or having something to rest on.

Anybody else ever done this?

By the way, I think I would do one also on the pass. side as well.

Back