• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Where to find Shotgun parts and acessories

i am looking for parts and accessories for my tactical shotgun. i want a good tri-rail forend and also a mag tube extension that also has a bayonet lug on it. the weapon is a 870 police magnum, 18.5" barrel, M4 style butt stock with 5 shell carrier, 5+1 capacity (for now), and ghost ring sights.

i have seen the forend that available from CCA and i like it but the side rails are really short. i am hoping for one that will be stable enough to not only mount a light and vertical forgrip but also a laser for slugs. and i have not found a source for the bayo studs

so i am wondering what else you guys know is out there- what works well and what doesnt.

thanks

A pistol grip type stock doesn't really work well with a bayonet, for various reasons. Holding onto the pistol grip limits your motion (follow through) and in many positions limits your leverage. Switching your grip to the neck of the stock (for successful bayonet use) makes it unlikely you can reach the trigger in a hurry if you need to, without changing your hand grip again.
The mag extension has to have some serious bracing to hold up to any sort of bayonet drill. The brace that ties the extension into the barrel has to be very robust and at the same time allow for a little barrel expansion.
Successful bayonet drill goes way beyond just trying to stick somebody and uses mostly slashes and butt strokes. One of the main reasons being, if you get your bayonet stuck between the ribs, you may need a hi lift to get it back out again.
It's hard to find any good teachers and/or info anymore on bayonet drill. 5-90 may have some links, the short staff movements and bayonet are often very similar. To be proficient you'll likely have to learn some katas.
Knowing bayonet drill, even without a bayonet, is in my opinion a plus anyway. The barrel and stock of your shotgun make efficient weapons in close combat. You may want to take someone out without shooting them, options are always good.

A pistol grip type stock doesn't really work well with a bayonet, for various reasons. Holding onto the pistol grip limits your motion (follow through) and in many positions limits your leverage. Switching your grip to the neck of the stock (for successful bayonet use) makes it unlikely you can reach the trigger in a hurry if you need to, without changing your hand grip again.
The mag extension has to have some serious bracing to hold up to any sort of bayonet drill. The brace that ties the extension into the barrel has to be very robust and at the same time allow for a little barrel expansion.
Successful bayonet drill goes way beyond just trying to stick somebody and uses mostly slashes and butt strokes. One of the main reasons being, if you get your bayonet stuck between the ribs, you may need a hi lift to get it back out again.
It's hard to find any good teachers and/or info anymore on bayonet drill. 5-90 may have some links, the short staff movements and bayonet are often very similar. To be proficient you'll likely have to learn some katas.
Knowing bayonet drill, even without a bayonet, is in my opinion a plus anyway. The barrel and stock of your shotgun make efficient weapons in close combat. You may want to take someone out without shooting them, options are always good.

Why do you even try to explain things you obviously don't understand?

Which is why I've never been much for pistol grip stocks on shotguns. Having shot a 12ga one-handed (might as well train for "worst case conditions...") like a pistol, I can attest that it's easier to do using a traditional stock than a pistol grip - I've tried both.

And, even without a bayonet, Mud is right that you can still jab, poke, whack, or otherwise harm someone (or force compliance) with a shotgun - and do so more effectively without the pistol grip. I've not even seen pistol grips on most "patrol shotguns" - probably for that reason.

Learning movements with escrima sticks and, I believe, the jo staff (the shorter between the bo and the jo, anyhow...) would be good for non-firing use of a shotgun. Some full-length quarterstaff movements also come in handy, but you have to make the transition to realise that you're not working with a seven-foot-long staff, you're working with a two-and-a-half-foot-long staff. (Which do I prefer? Depends on what I'm doing. It's easier to lean on a quarterstaff than a shotgun, and the staff is an easier "hidden weapon" to have, since most people aren't proficient in their use. Just like knowing a few things about "cane-fu" - they don't expect a guy leaning on a cane to know how to wrap it around your head, but that's exactly why I don't buy "adjustable" canes. Solid wood or fibreglas, please.)

yes, a pistol gripped M4 butt stock is not ideal for bayonet use. its something that was dealt with in SP school when we learned bayo use on the M16A2. so yes, i have been trained in bayonet use. however the butt stock is more ideal for CQC (i dont know anything more CQC than home defense) so that is a trade off that i am willing to take. the bayo will not the the primary use of the weapon, but is an option that i am willing to leave open for situations where a shot would not be ideal. i have seen some bayo mounts in use on various shotguns both mil and civ uses so i know they are out there, just havent found some to suite my needs yet. (i havent had a chance to check the links yet). oh, and good rifle fighting techniques can be used with a naked rifle, shotgun, or on a weapon with bayonet affixed.

the forend is the big thing that i am looking for.

Why do you even try to explain things you obviously don't understand?
The guy that taught me, had "The Medal" and I have expert proficiency.
Why don't you go visit the Zoo and feed your Mama some peanuts.

Last edited:
yes, a pistol gripped M4 butt stock is not ideal for bayonet use. its something that was dealt with in SP school when we learned bayo use on the M16A2. so yes, i have been trained in bayonet use. however the butt stock is more ideal for CQC (i dont know anything more CQC than home defense) so that is a trade off that i am willing to take. the bayo will not the the primary use of the weapon, but is an option that i am willing to leave open for situations where a shot would not be ideal. i have seen some bayo mounts in use on various shotguns both mil and civ uses so i know they are out there, just havent found some to suite my needs yet. (i havent had a chance to check the links yet). oh, and good rifle fighting techniques can be used with a naked rifle, shotgun, or on a weapon with bayonet affixed.

I made my own, I bent my first magazine tube in practice. On the second try, I used two braces instead of one and popped the bead out of my slug barrel sight (when the front brace shifted and bent). I've got plans to have a full length magazine tube brace made from billet aluminum. Barrel expansion may or may not be a factor, likely not an issue with a split brace. But having dinged shotgun barrels before, they aren't as robust as you might think. I'd be hesitant to over tighten a magazine tube brace if it was actually strong enough to do any good, in strengthening the tube enough, to take a full power bayonet slash.
Of course I don't know what I'm talking about and our resident expert for every facet of anything weapons related, will likely have an opposing view.
Over here they could care less how long the barrel is or if it has a bayonet or not. All they require is that it has a full stock (Carriage guns are common). A lot of hunters have bayonets on there slug guns, that's what they use looking for wounded pigs in thick brush. I've had my dogs jaw locked on a pig, on many occasions, shooting may not be the best solution (if you like the dog).

Last edited:

Bayonet? Where a shot would not be ideal? If you're going to stab/jab/slice someone, you're committed to that level of lethal force, which is right up there with taking the shot. Deadly weapons are deadly weapons. There's also a lesser chance of actually neutralizing the threat, which is a kickass way to set yourself up for a lawsuit. That's also not to mention how ridiculously long it will make the stick. I'd REALLY reconsider that.

Find a place to take a basic shotgun course with the money you'd spend on the pistol grip M4 thingy-majig. You'll thank me for it. ;) As we say, "Learn to shoot the thing before spending another dime on it." There are safety courses everywhere that teach you the legal ramifications of the use of force, both criminal and civil. Figure that in most places, a jackass entering your home is committing a felony...which can also put you and the family in jeopardy. Your home is your castle, learn how to keep it safe.

IIRC I saw them at Brownells. If you're looking for a flashlight holder, there are others that attach right to tubes. For a mag extension, look no further than Wilson. Everything else attaches with a clamp to the barrel, which tends to put stress on everything. Not good. ;)

The setup here is a factory 18" barrel with a front bead, Wilson 2-shot extension, Vang Comp Systems oversized safety button, and a stock I shortened about 2.25" for a shorter length of pull and better manipulation. After running through some courses with it I've seen other people remove frilly crap on the spot because it did NOT suit the mission, added weight, and was downright gimmicky. The simpler, the better. When I got rid of this one a couple months ago I was only planning on putting a clamp mount on the mag extension to hold a simple SureFire G2 light and a pressure switch attached to the forend. Silly lightweight, easy to move, nothing to hang up on, and with the standard stock it's much easier to manipulate the safety left and right handed. Pistol grips usually just get in the way on firearms they weren't designed around. ;)

614496499_JuLz6-L-1.jpg

Bayonets are always loaded. ;)

Last edited:
Pistol grips on patrol shottys is quite common place now. Reason being, for most officers, it allows them to suck in their elbow making for a smaller profile and making it easier to maneuver in tight places (ie. hallways of houses when clearing homes).

As for bayonets on shotguns? Buy a sword if you plan on going Kung Fu on someone. Me, I'll save my energy and let my weapon do the work...

Last edited:
Pistol grips on patrol shottys is quite common place now. Reason being, for most officers, it allows them to suck in their elbow making for a smaller profile and making it easier to maneuver in tight places (ie. hallways of houses when clearing homes).

lol wut? Elbow can't go down with a regular stock? (n)

if you can bayonet someone and your justified... stop trying to be cool and shoot him. This thread sucks wicked hard and 8mud, you are the reason.

btw odds are if your reading this, you not badass enough to bayonet someone. Deal with it, the sooner you do the sooner we can move on to real threads.

Take care,
Josh

im not gumby and i can drop elbow w/o a pistol grip.......as far as a bayonet...unless your just trying to look like a bad ass in the mirror.......why waist your time? i mean isent that what a side arm is for?

Shane

As for bayonets on shotguns? Buy a sword if you plan on going Kung Fu on someone. Me, I'll save my energy and let my weapon do the work...

It's funny - I remember a bayo instructor saying "If the bastard gets stuck on your blade, fire a round to get him unstuck."

If I've got a round, why am I sticking him with the bayonet?

With a little practise, you can do "tight elbow" with a standard stock.

Also, it's much easier to do "off the hip" in a hurry with a standard stock than it is with a pistol grip (just sayin'...)

Back