• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Where to buy long degree shims

jonzer12

NAXJA Forum User
I am running ruffstuff perches on my 8.8
They are 7.75 inches long which help with axle wrap.
I need some matching 7.75" or longer degree shims as I am
going to add more lift to rear.
Anyone know where I can get some?

http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/ForSale/Shims.shtml is the site I was going to go with before I switched my plans over to an axle that would require welding new perches on anyways, and thus wouldn't require shims (till I change my setup again... doh!)

Looks like you could be out up to 50 bucks for a set. Still not that bad, since they're actually made from steel instead of being aluminum that will crumble and fall out leaving your axle flopping around like many other brands.

I should note I haven't actually dealt with this guy and don't know if he's good or not.

Are aluminum shims really that bad? I just bought a pair for $19 w/ pins included versus $33 w/ pins for steel.

If you live where rust happens, they're a poor choice. They tend to crack from wheeling abuse in any climate from what I've heard, but salted winter roads will eat aluminum shims up very, very quickly.

If you live where rust happens, they're a poor choice. They tend to crack from wheeling abuse in any climate from what I've heard, but salted winter roads will eat aluminum shims up very, very quickly.

Luckily they do not salt the roads where I live and my 96 is 100% rust free.

If I painted them would that ad an additional layer of protection?

Aluminum shims/blocks are a bad idea period, regardless of your local conditions!

http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/ForSale/Shims.shtml is the site I was going to go with before I switched my plans over to an axle that would require welding new perches on anyways, and thus wouldn't require shims (till I change my setup again... doh!)

Looks like you could be out up to 50 bucks for a set. Still not that bad, since they're actually made from steel instead of being aluminum that will crumble and fall out leaving your axle flopping around like many other brands.

I should note I haven't actually dealt with this guy and don't know if he's good or not.

Thanks for the info, exactly what I was looking for.

Why didn't you set the pinion angle correctly when you originally welded them on? It's probably cheaper and stronger to get new perches and weld them on. Or even try to reuse these.

He did - he then lifted it more, and the pinion angle needs to change again (hopefully not much.)

Why didn't you set the pinion angle correctly when you originally welded them on? It's probably cheaper and stronger to get new perches and weld them on. Or even try to reuse these.

I am
going to add more lift to rear.

I can see the reasoning for not running aluminum shims, but I ran them for at least 2 years and never had a problem. Jumped my XJ and everything. Never cracked or anything.

I can see the reasoning for not running aluminum shims, but I ran them for at least 2 years and never had a problem. Jumped my XJ and everything. Never cracked or anything.

A lot depends on the metallurgical properties of the aluminum shims. If they were machined out of billet stock, they should hold up ok. However, if you get the cheapo cast aluminum ones, they'll crumble like a dry cracker over time....

Back