• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Where to buy cheap steel in the IE

Renegade XJ

NAXJA Forum User
About 3 years ago my Dad mentioned to me that in Temecula some where he would buy used steel for projects. Anybody know of this place? My dads is no longer around so I can't really just ask him. Apparently the price of the steel was great but it was hit or miss on what you could get.

If that place is no longer around, any recommendations to places to buy steel from? I need to fab up some rocker guards a d bumpers for my XJ but the cost of material is killing me.

the temecula place mentioned was most likely Rancho metals which sold out and no longer sell metals. it is a recycle center only. the only other surplus supply that sells remnants and blems that i know of is escondido metals which is way to far for you. if you find something close to corona please post it up.

IMS is horrible, wouldn't send my worst enemies there.
I use Cal Mesa Steel, however the branch i use is in Escondido and cannot speak for the other two branches in IE. Many times they'll sell you reminants for cheap and they will cut to size for you.

hey Vanimal. i see that cal mesa steel is just up the street from escondido metals. how do they compare? in stock availability, remnant surplus, pricing, ect?

and does anyone know where the best pay out for recycling scrap steel is? i keep using Lee's metals and recycling in vista/san marcos, but i hear there are better places, just not close.

hey Vanimal. i see that cal mesa steel is just up the street from escondido metals. how do they compare? in stock availability, remnant surplus, pricing, ect?

and does anyone know where the best pay out for recycling scrap steel is? i keep using Lee's metals and recycling in vista/san marcos, but i hear there are better places, just not close.
escondido metals blows in the pricing department. i NEVER go there. I'd rather go to IMS if that tells you anything.
Cal Mesa Steel doesnt have any used steel, it's all new stuff, so there's that. it's all high quality, no chinese junk (yes, there's a difference). However, since they cut to order, they do have a lot of small reminants kicking around. They are fair, and do not upcharge for rems like IMS.
if you want good used metal in north county, go to hidden valley scrap/duco. they're on Andreason in escondido, right off of mission. They have a decent assortment of new and used material, and the guy who runs the place is pretty cool. His prices on new stuff is pretty hard to beat, however i hardly get it there as the stuff i buy isnt typically mild steel or basic aluminum alloys, which is what he carries. His price on used steel is .44/lb, so not bad.

great info. thanks. i will check out duco as well. i can use some used stuff for a small trailer project. making a flat bed from a watercraft trailer to haul bikes and quads on. i am also looking for some large diamond mesh, so if you see any for cheap, let me know.

There is Temecula recycling on Diaz Rd just south of Winchester. They sell steel but I have not been there to see what they carry. There is also a welding supply place on Enterprise Circle south that selld DOM by special order.

my wife told me about those signs so i had her go back and get the number. i called and they are a wholesaler. no used, no remnants, no surplus hardware stuff, just new metals. i have yet to check them out.

Back