• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Where to buy best gears?

JB Flex

NAXJA Forum User
Ok, I know there are lots of opinions out there, but I am looking for a good company to buy a COMPLETE setup for my XJ. It a 99 with 4.0, auto tranny, 33" tires, 8.25 rear, assuming the front is the Dana 30, if that is wrong let me know. Decided on 4.56 gears, debating on a locker. Its a DD, but I do take it off road. What and all am I going to need, install kit, gear set etc. I want to be able to make a call, talk to a competent, friendly rep who will steer me in the right direction. Customer service is very important to me, and how a compnay treats their customers drastically sways my opinion. Quality is a must, and while we are at it, I do want a locker, but can't decide which one. Who is running what right now and do you like it? Again DD so a spool or something always locked up is not cutting it. Thanks for the help.

Where in NC are you?
Near Charlotte Call Carolina Rock shop 704 525 5109
Near Western NC call Clemson 4x4 800 257 4294
Near Greensboro Call KC extreme machine
Near Salisbury, call Galloways 704 463 1072

Last edited:
Raleigh at NC State senior year right now, after May not sure, but will end up back in New Bern on the Coast. I will make the call to those guys as well, unless you know some in Raleigh or closer to the coast. thanks.

Theres a new place that opened in Raleigh/Durham but I don't recall the name. Galloways or KC may be your best bet

If money isn't an issue go with a full Detroit rear and a Detroit TruTrac front,

If money is a issue go with a Aussie up front and whatever is available for the 8.25 rear in a LB locker.

I'm currently running a TruTrac rear and Aussie in the front and don't have any issues other than the noisy Aussie on the road. I plan on putting the axle with the TruTrac into my DD and setting up a full Detroit for the rear of the trail rig.

Just my $.02

Has anyone delt with 4wheel parts or directly with Randy's Ring and Pinion? I have a local shop to install, and if either of these two, or anyone else, what do I need to get to do the job right?

You will need the master install kits for both and then just the R&P's..

If you have a place local, thats great.

I would get Yukon or Supior gears, Yukon is pricey but well worth it. I have been on randy's site a few times and called once, they seem to know thier ish pretty well. They even have package deals so call and see what they have for the 30/8.25 combo, much cheaper that way.

X2 on tru-trac and aussie unless yoiu can get a selectable like ARB

I got my yukon gears and axle's from Complete Offroad , they where decent to deal with .

If its a DD/weekend wheeler I'm sure they will sufice...

Hey ther. I used to work with some of these people,gear suppliers. Four wheel parts is customer oriented, ask for a pakage deal and they should work with you. A guy named Pat should be running the drivetrain show at their 800 #. Also Alloy USA is on the left coast, was just there on vacation and visited the place. Did some testing work for them. Warranty on gears is longer! Just make sure your shop DOES KNOW what they are doing. Pinion preload, carrier preload and BL clearance are critical. As is a very clean assembly. If you talk to these people drop "Greg the gear guy" Glad to help.

Your setup is a D30 HP (Reverse) for the front and an 8.25 29 spline rear if you dont have ABS.

alloy Usa is a great place with excellent products and customer service.
Yukon is ok
Superior is good
dont do Genuine gears

Randys Ring & pinion are great vendors.

Good deal on R&Ps at rustysoffroad since they sell Superior but beware of shipping costs / customer service.

summitracing is also an option.

a year or two ago when I was shipping for the same setup, here were the cheapest vendors:
Dana30 Master Install Kit:
Rustysoffroad.com at $69

Dana30 R&P
4wheelersupply.com $129.50

8.25 Master install kit
rustysoffroad.com at $69

8.25 R&P
peakempire.com at $179

prices might have changed since.

whitexj98 said:
you will also need a new carrier for the 8.25.

I don't remember there being a carrier break for the 8.25 but there is one for the D-30. Its at 3.73.

I use Yukon gears exclusively and shop only at Randys, I've never had any issues with either.

I bought Yukon gears from DC4WD and am running 4:56's with an Aussie in front and a lockright in my 27spl 8.25" so far I'm very happy with this setup and I spent under a grand doing it.

I'm a fan of Spicer gears. They are my 1st choice for any Dana axle if they are available in the right ratio. They have 4.56 gears for your front axle. A Detroit TruTrac for the front is a good choice. For the rear IMO a true locker is the only way to go, unless you weld it or put a spool in it.

I've run and done setups with Spicer gears and with Yukon gears. Never a problem with either. You can put any locker (not spool) in the front and pretty much not feel it except when in 4wd. Choose a selectable for the rear, ARB, OX, Electrac, etc.

Back