• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

whats the best 8.8 out of to swap into xj ?

I got mine out of a newer generation Explorer. 31 spline shafts and disc brakes.

Most people seem to say Explorer because of 31 spline shafts. I think Some Rangers and Crown Vics only have the 28 spline shafts.

The old Explorer 8.8's only had drum brakes. I cant tell you about the Rangers or CV's.

I think the F-150 8.8 is wider than the Cherokee. The Ranger and Explorer 8.8 is just a tad bit narrower. Hardly noticable if you dont know the difference.

FWIW Hope that helps.

Brian

The king of the 8.8 is the 95'-00 or 01' Explorer/Mountaineer with 31 spline shafts and nice disc brakes. Many aftermarket companies like Currie and others model their disc brakes after the Ford OEM style. The disc brakes alone make many people want to swap in this axle.

came across a 8.8 from an expedition, it was 50$. did i make a huge mistake in passing up on it? are these just as strong, any downsides?

Ramsey said:
came across a 8.8 from an expedition, it was 50$. did i make a huge mistake in passing up on it? are these just as strong, any downsides?

If it was from an expedition, it was probably full size width. IIRC, Explorers are the closest in WMS/WMS width.

Mine is from a 97 Explorer.

i know it is full size, personally i like the full width look stance and added stabilty. no really tight spots here or fender laws. oh well, guess i should have got it.

Ramsey said:
i know it is full size, personally i like the full width look stance and added stabilty. no really tight spots here or fender laws. oh well, guess i should have got it.

$50 is a good price but yah gotto think then you have to swap your front axle for a full size axle the same width , and wheel spacers im not a big fan of so i wouldnt do that. As for the 8.8's.

I can go to pick-a-part 20 minutes away and pull myself any axle out of any vehicle no matter what it is for $100 , so if I could choose of getting a full size for $50 or a explorer 8.8 with disc brakes for an extra $50 then id choose that explorer one. Although I do agree with how the full size axles look good but I dont see the $ for me to do 2 axle swaps so thats why my opinion is how it is.

Explorers
Explorer , Navajo 1990-1994: Width is 1.5" wider than 93+ Ranger, 3" wider than pre-93, 31 spline , Spring perches must be fabricated and welded on top , stock spring perches can be used to lower the truck (like a flip kit) , Shock mounts must be fabricated and welded on , Very common to find ltd. Slip, usually 3.73 or 4.10 (4x4) gears

Explorer , Mountaineer 1995-2001: Same as above, also has rear discs

Rangers
Ranger 4.0 1990-1992: Width is same as other pre-93 axles, 28 spline 3.08 (4x2), 3.55, 3.73 and 4.10 (4x4) factory ratios Either limited slip or open differential 10" drum brakes

Ranger 4.0 , 1993+: Width is same as other 93+ axles (1.5" wider than pre 93), 28 spline
B4000 1994+: Ratios and differential options as noted above

Ranger FX4 2002+:Width is same as other 93+ axles, 31 spline
4.10's and Torsen limited slip from factory

I have a 1990 XJ 4x4, are there any beefier rear ends that are pretty much a bolt-in or are they all going to require welding? Mine sounds like a rock grinder at any speed... If I were going to go through all the trouble of welding spring perches, etc, etc, which would be the better choice? I do not want to swap out the front axle.

RDX

rdx4me said:
I have a 1990 XJ 4x4, are there any beefier rear ends that are pretty much a bolt-in or are they all going to require welding? Mine sounds like a rock grinder at any speed... If I were going to go through all the trouble of welding spring perches, etc, etc, which would be the better choice? I do not want to swap out the front axle.

RDX

If you have a D35 a beefy bolt on would be an 8.25 ...cheap and readily available. The beefiest bolt on though would be a D44 out of an 87. D44's are getting harder to find though, and the price rises correspondingly.

Keep looking, and you might be able to make a great find.

So all 1987 XJ's have a D44 in them? Would the gears be the same as stock 1990? There are a few here in a local salvage yard. I can go check out the year this week...

Thanks

RDX

rdx4me said:
So all 1987 XJ's have a D44 in them? Would the gears be the same as stock 1990? There are a few here in a local salvage yard. I can go check out the year this week...
Nope, the D44 is rare even in the 87. It's virtually a drop-in replacement though if you find one. The gear ratio may be 3.07, 3.54 or possibly 3.73 so make sure you verify it before dropping the Jeep in 4wd.

Forgot to add: http://www.yuccaman.com/jeep/dana44.html

Do those Explorer axles come with ABS? I know a lot of people don't like it, but since my weekend wheelin' Jeep is my wife's daily driver, I'd prefer to keep it.

Explorer ABS isn't compatible with the Jeep ABS...from my pesonal experience you're better off without it anyway.

Yucca-Man said:
Explorer ABS isn't compatible with the Jeep ABS...from my pesonal experience you're better off without it anyway.

Hey Jim.. that's not entirely true. I just read not too long ago on Pirate that there was some shop that did get the Explorer ABS to work just fine in an XJ. It sounded like it was quite a bit of work but.. i guess anything is possible.

formatt said:
Hey Jim.. that's not entirely true. I just read not too long ago on Pirate that there was some shop that did get the Explorer ABS to work just fine in an XJ. It sounded like it was quite a bit of work but.. i guess anything is possible.
Ugh...all that work to add ABS? Thanks for the correction, but WHY do that??

lickdj said:
I can go to pick-a-part 20 minutes away and pull myself any axle out of any vehicle no matter what it is for $100
Reeeeaaaally...

If thats true, then find me a late 70's/early 80's f-350 front dana60 (hight pinion, driver side drop, kingpin) and not only will I give you the hundred bucks you paid for it, but i'll give you 100 more for your work, and 400 more to ship it to me.

I REALLY don't like the pinion being more than 2" to the passenger's side on the Exploder 8.8. I have yet to see anyone install a Mustang rear axle, but I think that is the way I want to go. the Mustang GT 8.8 from 94-98 has identical shaft lengths, which would be cool for carrying spares. i believe from flange to flange the mustang unit is 1.5" wider than the exploder unit, making it .75" wider than the cherokee axle. because it is a mustang part there are many options available for upgrades also. there are 4 contol arm mounts that would have to be cut off and a provision for a factory kicker shock. any opinions on this option?

nobody has given me any reason not to try this, and nobody else seems to have tried this. sombody had some thoughts on it and didn't care to respond, as i have some negative rock rash because of this post. they didn't even leave a comment with the rash! opinions anyone?

Back