• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What would you want from a new Cherokee?

..,remember that Pig 4 door Wrangler weights 1200 lbs+ more than your average XJ.
The frame by itself didn't add all that weight.
Remember that the "pig" 4Dr. Wrangler is bigger in every dimension then an XJ, meets current crash/safety standards, and has a removable top.

The XJ is far from perfect. If it was perfect, we wouldn't need to cut and grind on it. It is about perfect sized.

It would be nice to see a small SUV that weighs less then two tons. 'Won't happen, but it would be nice.

Jeep Patriot chassis with bigger wheel openings
Rubicon 44's w/lockers and 4:1 transfer case
Small diesel engine or the same V6 as the new JK's (or an engine similar to the 2.0L Ecoboost from Ford, Land Rover put one in the Evoque)
31 or 32" tires stock.

But as said above, the reason I bought my XJ was mainly because of the price. I got a great running 4x4 vehicle that was durable, compact in size, and very capable in adverse weather conditions and eventually offroading, for $5k. Don't have to worry about voiding a warranty, can fix everything myself, and don't have to worry about messing up the body or interior of a brand new vehicle.

So yeah, I've pretty much built what I'd want from a 'new' cherokee. You know you aren't getting everything I mentioned from the factory for less than $30k. Can't even get a base model Grand Cherokee Laredo for $30k.

• Diesel
  • Strong full floating axles with lockout hubs (like J8 axles)
  • Room for bigger tires
  • Frame rails that stick out like a TJ so it's easier to mount a winch
  • Shift on column (for autos at least) so I have more room for radios and shiz
There's about a million other things I could think of but if it came like that from the factory like that I think we could handle the rest.

won't happen.

But I'd like:
* 5.9L V8 (or any other decent V8, I just like keeping AMC heritage alive here) with a TD option
* 5 or 6 speed standard & a good reliable automatic option (none of that CVT horseshit and no chrysler autos... oh... hmm. I'll take a standard I guess)
* larger wheel wells from the factory with pinch seams parallel to the surface of the tire rather than the sidewall, plastic/rubber flares close the wheel well in a bit to make it look ok with stock tires
* straight axles, if it doesn't have em, I won't buy it
* a good solid transfer case as an option, i.e. if it comes by default with a 249 it better have a 242/241/231 as a low-line option
* the guy who came up with the commander headlights gets shot (I don't care where. kneecaps are fine, I'm not picky)
* rubicon package available would be nice but not required (taller suspension, better factory tires and gears, maybe 4:1 tcase, better axles, lockers?)
* I'd love a "pick and choose" option set, instead of predefined packages - but it'll never fly, that's how they make their money
* a switch to disable ABS (if required by law, switch functions only in 4lo/4fulltime or below a certain speed to keep it from being left off accidentally on the road)
* a full frame would be awesome but not required
* enough space in the dash to install two radios (factory one plus a ham/cb rig, CD changer, GPS unit/nav screen, etc) would be nice but not required - basically just make the slot most new cars have for a nav unit / console / stupid computer display thing no jeeper wants accept any DIN format radio bracket also.
* and there damn well better be another MJ, dammit

... but again, this will never happen. They're too busy turning out mallcrawlers, the time for bringing back the XJ has unfortunately passed.

* 5.9L V8 (or any other decent V8, I just like keeping AMC heritage alive here) with a TD option
* 5 or 6 speed standard & a good reliable automatic option (none of that CVT horseshit and no chrysler autos... oh... hmm. I'll take a standard I guess)
* straight axles, if it doesn't have em, I won't buy it
* a good solid transfer case as an option, i.e. if it comes by default with a 249 it better have a 242/241/231 as a low-line option
* a switch to disable ABS (if required by law, switch functions only in 4lo/4fulltime or below a certain speed to keep it from being left off accidentally on the road)

Who asked you ken. You and your pesky reliable drivelines :nono: :laugh3:

Who asked you ken. You and your pesky reliable drivelines :nono: :laugh3:
1. you did :laugh3:
2. reliable except my AW4s. I am all done with those. Give me standards or give me death!

* the guy who came up with the commander headlights gets shot (I don't care where. kneecaps are fine, I'm not picky)

Hey now! Those "self leveling" XK H.I.D.s are a work of art! The assemblies are only 2k each from Chrysler;)

I agree Ken they look like crap but they are the best headlights I have ever had on any vehicle. I can spot snot on a deer's nose at a 100 yards with those night blazers.

I like the XK, if it only had a SFA

0521111615.jpg

Hey now! Those "self leveling" XK H.I.D.s are a work of art! The assemblies are only 2k each from Chrysler;)

I agree Ken they look like crap but they are the best headlights I have ever had on any vehicle. I can spot snot on a deer's nose at a 100 yards with those night blazers.

x2 on them being bright as hell. My mom just bought one and I dont think I have seen a better light pattern for the PA backroads where most lights just illuminate the road signs.

Whats up with the self leveling stuff? It works as your driving on the twistys?

edit: My only problem with the XK is how big it is. It has better visibility than the liberty but its still shit compared to the XJ. It feels so much bigger than the XJ that I dont think it would make as good a trail rig as an XJ.

Last edited:
1. you did :laugh3:
2. reliable except my AW4s. I am all done with those. Give me standards or give me death!

1. Details :flipoff2:
2. I have only ever blown one aw4 and it was already gone when I bought it. Other than that and the overheating I dont have a problem with them.

x2 on them being bright as hell. My mom just bought one and I dont think I have seen a better light pattern for the PA backroads where most lights just illuminate the road signs.

Whats up with the self leveling stuff? It works as your driving on the twistys?

They adjust to the "pitch" of the Jeep or if you are loaded/pulling a trailer. They also adjust to the cars in front of you(will aim down as you close in to their bumper). They do not adjust to curvature of the road.

Mine recently malfunctioned and after a week at the dealer and 2 new assemblies(2k each) and a new headlight control unit(400 bucks) they work as they should now. I'm just glad they were covered under warranty.

1. Details :flipoff2:
2. I have only ever blown one aw4 and it was already gone when I bought it. Other than that and the overheating I dont have a problem with them.
yeah the AW4's a good trans for an auto. I still managed to kill two (though one was already on its way out when I got the jeep.) I have two left, one will be leaving the truck it came in as soon as I find a V8/5spd donor I can afford and the other will be staying until I run out of spares, since I need it to test/reverse engineer things.

However any new jeep would end up with either a terribad CVT like the compass (iirc) or a chryco junk slushbox like the other chrysler offerings. Neither is anything I want anything to do with.

Also, whether the XK lights put out good light or not, they still make it look like an anime XJ and I can't stand it. If they looked like XJ or TJ (yeah, I said it, I'd buy a new XJ with round headlights, sue me) headlights and had the same pattern as the XK headlights it'd be awesome.

They adjust to the "pitch" of the Jeep or if you are loaded/pulling a trailer. They also adjust to the cars in front of you(will aim down as you close in to their bumper). They do not adjust to curvature of the road.

Mine recently malfunctioned and after a week at the dealer and 2 new assemblies(2k each) and a new headlight control unit(400 bucks) they work as they should now. I'm just glad they were covered under warranty.

Sorry I didnt think that they went side to side but more up and down which you say they do. My big problem with most headlights in pa is that all the back roads are hilly as hell so your headlights usually dont light up very far down the road (up the hill or the other side of the dip)

If it weren't for the oil pan of the motor smashing right into the axle housing those would be awesome.

I hope they quit trying to 'bring back' the Cherokee, any reference to a new 'XJ', styling reminiscent to the XJ or anything of that sort. Just come out with something new, that doesn't suck, and let it find it's own niche. The XJ had plenty of new ideas and features and bucked trends within Jeep, and it did just fine.

As long as we're in fantasy land, let's see, what would I want?

Pretty much what the old Cherokee is, otherwise what's the point?

But as long as we're writing our own specs, I'd like rear disk brakes, maybe a bit of refinement on the engine....how about an overhead cam straight 6? Or a turbo diesel. One of the things I always regretted was that when Daimler took over they didn't throw a Merc tubodiesel into the XJ. Imagine a Jeep with a Sprinter engine!

Better rust protection, and more thoughtful interior storage. It's criminal that the later XJ lacked seat back and door pockets! That about does it.

Oh yes, and bring back the Renix era rocker seats!

Back