• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What would this XJ be worth?

Amway Man

NAXJA Forum User
Hey everyone,
Newbie to the site, not to XJs. Name is Kirk and I'm looking to potentially sell my XJ and buy a JK but just curious what would be a good price for it with the mods/condition.
Moderators - sorry if this is the wrong section, but I figured since it isn't up for sale yet and I'm in CO that this would be a good spot for it.

Specs:
1998 XJ Sport 4.0 4 door 5 speed ~ 120,000 miles
8.25 Rear w/arb & 4.56's
D30 front w/arb & 4.56's
ARBs are wired to run independently of each other
RE 3.5" Super Flex lift w/rear add-a-leaf on Up-Country leaf packs
33x12.50x15 Peerless tire mudders on black steel 15" rims 4.5" backspacing
Custom CV rear drive shaft from Tom Woods
Advanced Adapters HD SYE
JKS Quick Disconnects II - the newer ones
IPF Headlight housings (replace burned out bulbs now, not housings too)
Silverstar Ultra lights
PIAA 1500XT Ion Driving lights on front bumper
Mean Green 200+ amp alternator
Center force Dual friction clutch - 12-15,000 miles on it
Rubicon Express 62mm throttle body
K&N Air Raid cool air intake
8mm plug wires
Borla S/S header
Custom 2.5" cat & catback exhaust w/flowmaster muffler
Optima Red top battery
Cobra CB radio w/hood mounted antenna
Alpine MP3 CD deck
Kicker RS6 separates w/cross-overs in all 4 speakers
4" Bushwhacker TJ flares w/functioning front signals
Custom Rocker rails - 3 supports, angle up with plate to block mud

Conditon:
Hood had/has a wind deflector that rubbed, some unpainted patches now
Hood at CB mount has an unpainted patch - slight rusting
Rocker rails have slight rusting on them, paint worn off
Front fenders trimmed to fit 33's and drivers front quarter has a sawzall "oops" from the installer (not me) - no rusting
Rear quarters trimmed to fit 33's which has opened the cab to some spraying from road water - no rusting
Just below passengers far rear window and towards tail gate - dent aprox 6"x3" with slight paint cracks and a small amount of rusting at tail gate
Mechanically sound and the motor runs great. Been using valvoline max life synthetic oil since 65,000 miles.
If I remember anything else that I've done to it I'll edit this post and add it at the bottom.

Any help as to figuring out what this would be worth is greatly appreciated. If its not worth what I would hope I may just keep it to have fun on the more hard core trails and keep the JK more stock for now.

Thanks in advance!

- Kirk :eeks1:

You're gonna need to post a couple pics too. Hard to assess value without 'em.

:thumbup:

Last edited:
I'll get pics up tonight after work. Will be dark but I'll do my best to get the spots I was refering to above. I have a sneaking feeling it's worth a bit more than $45 though :laugh3:

You should jus part out and gimme those bushwacker flares.. =P

I guess I can't edit that earlier post so here are some pics to hopefully help clear things up.

Drivers front quarter
Drivers_Front_Quarter.JPG

Drivers side
Drivers_Side1.JPG

Passengers side
Passengers_Side.JPG

Best shot I could get of the header from the bottom side
Header.JPG

Trimmed front fender with bushwhacker
Front_Fender.JPG

Trimmed rear fender with bushwhacker
Rear_Fender.JPG

JKS Disconnects
JKS_Discos.JPG

Front axle with dif guard
Front_Axle1.JPG

T-case, CV joint rear drive shaft and some exhaust
Rear_Drive_Shaft_2.JPG

Bottom of rear drive shaft and rear axle. Fuel line with tape striping has the air line for the rear ARB inside it
Rear_Drive_Shaft.JPG

CB mount
CB_Mount.JPG

Rocker guard from the top
Rockers.JPG

Under side of the rockers and a portion of the exhaust
Rockers_and_Exhaust.JPG

Drivers front fender sawzall oops
Sawzall_Oops.JPG

Hope these work!

- Kirk

I'll give ya $90 thats twice what the other guy offered:rolleyes:

Interior shots? Under hood?

Well, if we're being honest here..........

You need to spend a weekend with it to maximize it's curb appeal...... it looks rough brutha.

First, I just gotta say - those bushwhackers are hideous. I know you made them fit the XJ since they're designed for a TJ, but honestly, that was a huge step in the wrong direction - speaking of wrong direction, the rear flares look like they're on backwards. There, I said it. Now on to the constructive part...... :thumbup:

Pros:
Lift kit, gears & ARB's, header & exhaust, tires/wheels, low miles.

Cons:
Rusty rock sliders. Dood - get some sand paper, scuff 'em up and spray 'em black! As they are, it makes it look like you gave up on the project.

Bug deflector. Dood - remove that busted up thing completely. Leaving that piece of crap attached to your rig makes it look like you don't care about the XJ.

Inner fender wells. Dood - more black paint please! Take an hour, mask off the coils, shocks, etc and spray bomb those fender wells! That detail alone will dramatically help the appearance.

Hacked up rear fender openings: Dood - what happened there? Why so much cutting? Leaving that lower rocker cavity wide open is gonna be a big turn off and the next owner is going to feel like some serious body work is gonna be needed to seal that up. Between the hacked up fenders and the odd flares, they're going to be the parts that hurt the overall value.

Also, those JKS discos need to be adjusted. Screw them up about an inch or two so that the top end of the sway bar arm is level with the ground. It'll move it farther away from the coil springs too.

Basically, you've got some really decent parts bolted onto a mechanically solid rig...... with big cosmetic issues.

My estimated value: $4,500 tops. And that's gonna take the absolute right buyer to get that.

Last edited:
PART OUT! =D

45 plus 64 is well over a hundred dollars........last nights bar tab and tonight.s..........well woth it.....offer him whatever that adds up to.

Thanks for the input! Like I said, not selling it yet, will clean it up before doing that, just looking for a price range to see how much cleaning I shoud do. Going to sand down and paint the rockers as well as the inner fenders. Going to have the engine steam cleaned as well as the interior detailed.

The fenders were trimmed and the bushwackers installed while I was at work by a shop thats now closed. They states they had to trim that much or the rears would rub. Said that the bushwackers were on that way to prevent too much spray back to cars behind me.

I will also be removing the bug guard.

Any other suggestions/ideas? Estimates?

- Kirk

Thanks for the input! Like I said, not selling it yet, will clean it up before doing that, just looking for a price range to see how much cleaning I shoud do. Going to sand down and paint the rockers as well as the inner fenders. Going to have the engine steam cleaned as well as the interior detailed.

The fenders were trimmed and the bushwackers installed while I was at work by a shop thats now closed. They states they had to trim that much or the rears would rub. Said that the bushwackers were on that way to prevent too much spray back to cars behind me.

I will also be removing the bug guard.

Any other suggestions/ideas? Estimates?

- Kirk

I agree with the cosmetic issues on an otherwise decently built rig. Assuming the interior is in good condition, I think you could get maybe better than $6k for it, if you were patient, and if you do what is suggested above -- primarily ditch the TJ Bushwackers. Pick up a set of 4 TJ flares for a song, and mount them up once you have done some repair work to your cut pinch seam in back -- cheap, easy, and fairly stock looking, plus I don't think you will lose any travel/clearance...

i Normally love the look of Bushwackers, but TJ bushwackers are Hideous on your rig.

Try and find a Cheap set of Stock TJ flares. Maybe 4 rear TJ flares.

i think with a bit of touch up work. You should be able to get 5-6k

Thanks everyone for your input and help. I will get an engine shot as well as a couple interior shots here in the next day or so.

One question about the bushwackers - if I go to stock type TJ flares, wouldn't I have to drill new holes to fit them or should they fit into the same holes already drilled for the bushwackers?

Also - xj-grin - what/how do I get the rear pinch seam fixed? I wasn't aware it would be a big issue, but if it is I would like to fix it asap! Anyone know where to get some interior rear door pannels? I cant seem to find mine (had them off to adjust the screws on the flares and as I only drive the Jeep about once-twice a month I dont recall where I put them) :wierd: Junk yard maybe?

Would it be worth replacing the wind deflector/bug guard with a new one or just pull it off and leave it off? I don't mind spending some $$ to fix some things on the Jeep and am in no rush to sell it. I would just like to have it in good/better condition for when I do.

Thanks again everyone for your input/advise!

- Kirk

I'll have those rear door panels if you need 'em - I have both the dark gray (Agate) and the light gray.

As far as the bushwhackers vs. Wrangler flares...... more than likely they'll fit similarly, but the holes won't be the same - if you're lucky, the outside edge of the Wrangler flares will cover the holes from the BW's.

Fixing that cut to the lower rear rocker/pinch seam area is gonna require some light sheetmetal work. Probably just have to make a cap and have it welded on to cover the hole. Then paint the repair black I suppose.

A new bug deflector will hide the rub marks you have, but taking it off is gonna look a whole lot better than it does now with the broken one on.

Thought I would post hear instead of respond in PM to yours... I have actually never replaced/repaired a rear pinch seam cut, but I know I wouldn't buy an XJ that was taking in water to the passenger compartment from such a cut... Do a bit of searching, and you will likely find more detail, but I would think it will involve some hammering, some welding, and likely some body seam sealer to get it sealed up. Yella probably has some rear interior door panels for you...

Back