• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What was your biggest mod mistake

Georgia Mike said:
Doesn't that mean you're driving an auto? :D

Ryan,why didn't you like the 33X10.50 Swampers? I run them here in the south and the traction is outstanding with them! :dunno: Best tires I've ever had on my XJ,IMHO:D

Really poor tread design first and foremost. I think the center treads are too close and as a result didnt provide me any traction. They are also pathetic in the rain.

They dont even come close to measuring 33x1050, mine were about 9.50 inches wide. Way too narrow, and I could never keep a bead at low pressure because of it.

If you like your 33s go to the 32x1050 TSL radial, those tires are impressive.

Mine are the same 9.5" wide,but that's at the tread. The tire's center section (bulge in the sidewall) is where manufacturers get the 10.50,11.50,12.50,and so on,from. So,most 12.50's are only actually 10" wide at the tread,but 12.5" at the bulge:D Mine are almost a true 33" tall,though,and that's where I was most concerned so I had every amount of clearance possible.:)

Mine werent even close to being 33" tall, maybe they finally addressed that issue. When I ran them I went 32s to 33s and the 32s were actually bigger than the 33s.

Ryan4x4XJ said:
Spending time and money on fender flares

Lifting it originally with an aal and blocks. That worked until I broke a leaf spring :eek:

Lifting it higher than I needed it to be and before I was fully prepared to have it at that height

Going with 33x1050 tsl radials, worst tire I have ever run

Not going with a SYE sooner

Selling it :(

Ryan, you have a Jeep at all anymore?

Ryan4x4XJ said:
Mine werent even close to being 33" tall, maybe they finally addressed that issue. When I ran them I went 32s to 33s and the 32s were actually bigger than the 33s.

Ryan, those Swamper 32's were bigger than my current Uniroyal Laredo 33's. Those were good tires, but I always got crap in the rims when I aired them down. More so than any other tire I have ran.

BTW, those tires made there way north to Chicago. Not sure if they are on the road though.

Not exactly a Mod but...

Buying a WJ was the worst money I've spent. I'm in the XJ now cause my wife really likes the new one (the WJ). Sold an F-150 Lightning for it:confused:

well.....

Anything that I bought from RUSTYS....

4.5 leaf pack (bent)
6.0 leaf pack (bent and shipping problems)
Upper and lower control arms (too short fixed then loooong shipping problems on adj uppers, and broken upper control arms x2)
Poly motor mounts (they do wear out, and design problems)
Steering conversion (even modified still junk)
Skid plate (what a joke)

mac 'finally got almost all of it replaced on my XJ' gyvr

Beezil said:
hmmmm..

so the rear coil conversion didn't make the list?

:D

Speaking of rear coil conversion we had a jeep jamboree done here in florence junction recently ran such trails as hi-way to hell and the woodpeckers anyways one of the guys I used to kind of look up to for doing what everyone says he cant do such as running 35s on a c-35 He did a home fab of what he called a rear coil conversion it was so stupid looking I laughed when I saw it but he said it was awesome and the first time he flexed out it fell apart tore the brackets right off and ruined everything in the rear I felt bad because he had payed to be there and now it was a ruined trip but I could tell it was going to fall apart.

KY Chris said:
Ryan, you have a Jeep at all anymore?

I have an 01 sport for daily driving duties, but I couldnt help adding an ome lift to it :eek:

Still in the market for a trail jeep, but I dont have anywhere to store it or work on it right now. Im probably going to wait until after Im done with grad school to make a purchase.

KY Chris said:
Ryan, those Swamper 32's were bigger than my current Uniroyal Laredo 33's. Those were good tires, but I always got crap in the rims when I aired them down. More so than any other tire I have ran.

BTW, those tires made there way north to Chicago. Not sure if they are on the road though.

Thats weird about getting stuff in the rim. I dont think that happened to me, or I probably didnt air down as much as you.

Those tires sure got around didnt they :eek: :laugh2:

Cutting down a Ford 9" for the rear of my XJ. Spending $300 having the orignal 1979 shafts cut down, resplined and redrilled for 5 x 4.5 pattern. Getting them back and the next day finding out brand new moser alloys were only $295....

I have done many of the things that people are listing here. Many of them I don't really regret though. They were necessary steps to get me to where I am, with the money I had at the time.
I locked my d35, but that only cost me 50 bucks, after I sold the locker.
I started with AAL in the rear and they did sag, but that only cost me 25 bucks more than starting with the full packs, and they lasted me 6 months of wheeling, so that was worth it to me.
Also, I started with just a 3" lift, that worked pretty well, but didn't work near as well as my current 5" setup, but was much cheaper, and a good base for me to build upon.
The only mod I really REGRET is not spending the extra $200 bucks to go to 4.88's when I installed the 8.8. Instead I stuck with the 4.10's in the 8.8 and geared the front to match. Works ok with my current 32's, but I am in need of upping my tire size, and these gears are really going to suck with my next set of tires (currently run bias Swampers and will more than likely go with these again).
So, it is all a learning experience, and I wouldn't have near the wrenching and hands on experience that I have, let alone wheeling experience, if I had just saved my money and done it "right" from the beginning.
The biggest regret I have when it comes to my Jeep, is not caring a little more about it a couple years ago, and spearing it some body damage. At that time, it was just an $800 rig, so I was like "who cares?" Well, now I have a lot more than that in it, and I care enough that I want it to still be functional for a little while longer. If I had only spent some of the first money on body protection, then it would be in a lot better shape than it is today.
HTH someone

Back to the top for all the Newbs...

You dug low John, that was awhile back...

I think I'll add my Rough Country short AAL's - I sure hope nobody makes short AAL's anymore. Although it was kinda fun being the only guy out on the trails with W shaped leaf springs!

that was an interesting read. Glad i'm past the newbie phase of making mistakes;)

Thanks for bringing this back up John. Good read, from before my time.

Haleyes said:
Thanks for bringing this back up John. Good read, from before my time.

x2

and to add to it.

Buying a RC lift, Jacobs ignition, Jet chip, a roof rack, and not noticing how close the exhaust blew in relation to my now gone rear pinion seal.

goodburbon said:
x2

and to add to it.

Buying a RC lift, Jacobs ignition, Jet chip, a roof rack, and not noticing how close the exhaust blew in relation to my now gone rear pinion seal.
This thread could of saved you alot of headaches.:banghead: :doh: JIM.

A lot of headache......

I forgot about blowing the fire on my new windshield when I cut the hood vent holes too. Yet another one this thread could have saved me.

Back