• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What was your biggest mod mistake

goodburbon said:
I was using a grinder and it was just a few sparks, didn't hurt when they hit me so I didn't figure on them melting into the windshield. Must be laminated with something on the OUTSIDE too!
i cant talk, nearly all of mine are pitted from welding

My biggest mistake was getting into an informal "Jeep acquisition contest" with Eagle. I lost, and now I have too many projects. Some day though, I'll have a collection of really cool rigs, and my neighbors can &*#$% themselves.

Georgia Mike said:
Well,for starters,they aren't quite as common as they are in Australia,so I can understand the "Why?" statement:D

I'll break it down for you:
4- Everytime folks would pass me on the highway,it was inevitable that the passenger in the car would give themselves whiplash staring at it.
3- It would snag low-hanging tree branches sometimes
2- My co-workers nick-named my XJ "Snuffelupticus",whatever that means,but I was certain it had something to do with the snorkel:D

1 - The absurdly ridiculous questions that I'd get asked relating to it,such as:
"Is that a camera?"
"Is that a radar gun?"
"Is that the exhaust?"-this one's especially funny,as the engine could be running,and they'd put their hands on it and *STILL* have to ask,anyway! I'd just reply "Yep! Space age PLASTIC exhaust!! You saw it here first" :D :D
Ahahahah I went through that same exact thing. I also had alot of people ask me if that was the exhast!! cracked me up every time.:laugh2:

well this doesnt have to do anything with XJ's but . . . .

wheeling a CJ-7 with with a snow plow . . . :doh:

. . . then after getting stuck , using the plow to pull me out:nono:

hey i was 16:twak:

:flame: Flame on:flame:

Biggest mod mistakes?

Not starting from scratch with a tube steel frame, and strong drivetrain parts

and

Not starting off with an FZJ80 for a daily driver/light-duty trail rider.

biggest mistake? Dana 44 front axle...

its been nothing but a nightmare since I started working on it over 1 year ago...

Selling my first jeep, after I put a 4" lift on it and MTRs.
Telling my brother-in-law I rolled the jeep I sold him, can't drive it now:smsoap:
Wanting to buy the jeep back from him, sold it to get a better one

Putting lift shackles on my 01 and thinking it would fit 31's, it did for a month.
Wheeling my tow rig when the trail beater wouldn't run, and wrecking it.
Buying AAL, sold them before I used them and only lost $10
And, oh yeah selling my first jeep, even though the ENTIRE rear floor is rusted out.

I must say the searching here as save a LOT of :smsoap::rattle:

Starting with an 88 YJ Wrangler with a Carbed 4.2 and:

putting Holley FI on it
Putting a Hesco Cam in it
Putting a 4.0 head on it
Putting a Mandrel bent 2.5 inch exhaust on it with Flowmaster
Putting an expensive timing set in it
Putting comp cams expensive lifters in it (at least they are quite!)
rebuilding most of the engine

Then getting a tired old 145K stocker XJ with a 4.0 and realizing that the YJ was still WOEFULLY under powered. In truth I learned plenty from all that.

xjbmx said:
rustys track bar-- thank god it broke wheeling rather than on the street

You think buying A Rusty's trackbar is a mistake?................

How about buying THREE before realizing it's a mistake! HA!

Chris

Snarky said:
Ahahahah I went through that same exact thing. I also had alot of people ask me if that was the exhast!! cracked me up every time.:laugh2:

I just tell them it's a snorkel for me.

"Yeah, if I go underwater, I hook up a tube on the inside and I suck through that, that way I can still breathe even if my jeep dies."
"Oh.....well that makes sense actually."

Patriot said:
Putting rubberized undercoating under the body. I'm not sure it's considered a mod, but it sure was a mistake to add. I'm going to try the herculiner since the rubber undercoating is letting water through and rusting some parts. It's a pain trying to remove. A big mistake!

Paint/Prime the surface BEFORE undercoating. That's your mistake!:sure:

Gibson's cat-back exhaust was the worst.
The SS 34X9.5 tires are a close second unless you enjoy re-seating tires on the trail or have inner and outer beadlocks.

XJ_ranger said:

its been nothing but a nightmare since I started working on it over 1 year ago...

I agree, I ran my HP44 for one weekend & broke 3 axle shafts. Thats after I installed gear's & detroit locker, FTN Had them milled & drilled & High steer arms, new ball joints, ect. That was enough for me. Sold whats left of it & bought a HP 60 & all the goods (4340 axles, longfield joints, detroit,ect). I shouldnt break this one!!!!

DONT DO A 44, JUST STEP UP TO A 60 & BE DONE WITH IT!!!!! My 30 held up better than the 44 did.

Mine was bittersweet...

Removing the doors from my 2 door

I think at least 3 people got in accidents looking at it thinking what the

My favorite thing in life is now driving with out doors, just plain sick

problem came when I started taking them on and off, I guess its fine for 4 doors, but the doors on the 2 door are damm heavy. Worked fine for a week, then cracked both the hinges and started leaking and creaking

another mistake during that mod could have been taking a di-grinder to the some of the bolt heads when I couldn't get them off, I just wanted them off

I also took them off in april, cold mornings and nights here in MA at that time

addction said:
I agree, I ran my HP44 for one weekend & broke 3 axle shafts. Thats after I installed gear's & detroit locker, FTN Had them milled & drilled & High steer arms, new ball joints, ect. That was enough for me. Sold whats left of it & bought a HP 60 & all the goods (4340 axles, longfield joints, detroit,ect). I shouldnt break this one!!!!

DONT DO A 44, JUST STEP UP TO A 60 & BE DONE WITH IT!!!!! My 30 held up better than the 44 did.
hes ditching the 44 for a 30:D

XJ_ranger said:

X8!

worst waste of money ever.

POLISH THE TURDY OR GO BIG, REAL BIG!!!

i think your right, i know he didnt want to lose those selectable hubs:D

Back