• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What was done to YOUR rig(XJ/MJ) today MECHANICALY????

Picked up some spare side glass today

Shopping for the 4 remaining heater hoses on the Renix Bottle-Vac operated heat valve masturbation hose set that they used with the 2 Ts, where all the hoses are bent curved hoses with different hose sizes on each end. The OEM was 2 hose assys with the Ts, but the factory parts replacement has 6 hoses and you reuse or buy the Ts. The parts stores have no idea which hose which so it is painful part number and cross reference hunt and shop treasure hunt online.

Got lucky on an auto search email update from Ebay today, and scored a 1996 Snapon Jeep troubleshooting cartridge manual for under $10 delivered. :clap:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/222323836960

and one for the transmission troubleshooting cartridge

http://www.ebay.com/itm/311826672911

$12 delivered.

I now have the MT-2500 Sanp On rig with 1997 and older to 1987 and maybe 1986 banger Renix, Jeep coverage on the Primary cartridge troubleshooting and the Transmission troubleshooting and now all three manuals. Only thing I do not have is the OBD-1 Cable and power cable as I do own any 91-95 rigs.

Tried to change the AC PwrSteering belt on the 85 diesel and had the wrong length belt (what a pain), changed the oil filter finally on the 89 white 4x4 and found the rig had been running all this time with the Dizzy cap not even bolted in place from the prior owner, amazing!!!! Cleaned the cap and rotor and reused it for now. Still need 3-4 heater hoses and a bottle ready for the coolant. It will need the AC repaired next.

Got my jeep back from the ac guy yesterday

He couldn't find a leak. Recharged it and its working fine so far. Hopefully it holds, about time I had a project come in under budget

1B1F5403-183F-420B-B729-A8E84352F7E6_zpsvjfflrys.jpg

Ran down to SLP today

OK, that's it, now I jealous. I miss the beach.

My daughter just reported 275 mile fill up to fill up trip using 12 gallons of gas on here 1989, 230,000 mile 4x4, new to her Cherokee in CO. :D

I suspect a small 1-2 gallon error in the 12 gallon number. But who knows.

Life is Good!!!!:roll:

On the old XJ I started cutting off the cross member (don't have money for a new one), removed the power brake booster, master cylinder (from a 96 XJ) and proportional valve (from a ZJ for the disc brakes on all 4) and removed the transfer case (spare for later). On the newer XJ, replaced the oil filter adapter seals, no more oil leak. There is still a long way to go. I should make a lot of head way this weekend though.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

Replaced the PS/AC compressor belt on my 85 FrankenDiesel XJ Jeep. Got 10 years out of the old one.

Finally got a chance to upload some pictures. This is why I replaced the gas tank and not just the pump on my 89 4x4 jeep after I saw the crud on the pump assy.
Picture is worth a thousand words. How it was still running just before it died I have no idea, the level sensor even still worked, but I have no idea how. That black muck you see was all over the tank walls too, it was like molten tar, so I had to replace the tank and the pump, or risk the new pump :nono:
Looks to me like some one put acetone or similar stuff in the tank and it melted the old style rubbers used. Perhaps it was 10% ethanol that did this? Not sure. I recently found the fuel line hoses on my 85 had also turned to mush from using today's 10% biodiesel the last 15 years. Today's hose has Viton core (Viton is essentially a rubber like Teflon). A fuel leak was how I found the mush...on the diesel hoses. Cruiser54 tells me it is the worst looking fuel pump he has every seen, and he worked for years at a dealership.

picture.php

You all heard the war story on how my best running 1989 2WD drive jeep got rear ended on the freeway and rolled while my son was driving it at 5:30 am on a Sunday. The other driver claims the accident was my sons fault, that he made an unsafe lane change on an empty 6 lane freeway, and that he thus could not avoid rear-ending my son and the jeep. State Farm is buying the other guys story because my son was unconscious and could not make a statement at the accident scene, and the Cop screwed up and bought the other guys story on the accident report.
What do you all think?

Looks to me like that much damage had to be from the other guy doing over 100 MPH (lets say 30-40 mph over the speed limit) to not be able to stop in time and avoid ending up hitting my jeep with enough force to do that much damage. I think State Farm is full of shit. :smsoap:Am I right?

The gas tank wash crushed, the rear leaf springs were broken, the bottom spring was sheared!!!! The hitch was shoved all the way through the steel gear axle housing cover, into the cover and the gear box, and the other guys air bag went off (I was told that can only happen if his car was doing at least 25 mph more than my jeep was doing on impact), the tail gate was destroyed, and about 1/4 of the jeep was shoved up to the rear seat and the impact sent my jeep in a multiple roll that rolled it off the freeway.

picture.php

Cleaning day, cleaned and Rain-x treated the windows (work in progress), cleaned inside and out, vacuumed, UV treatment of the plastics, rearranged my junk, completed the belt install on my diesel, odds and ends. Accumulating the hoses and Renix- Poly-bottles, T fittings and valves for redoing the heater hose cooling system on one jeep and bottle swap on my DD. This poly-coolant bottle is about 8 years old and has severe stress cracks now, Time to replace it.

Spent most of 8 hrs on my feet today working outside!!!!! :D

Live is getting a wee bit better for this old man.

You all heard the war story on how my best running 1989 2WD drive jeep got rear ended on the freeway and rolled while my son was driving it at 5:30 am on a Sunday. The other driver claims the accident was my sons fault, that he made an unsafe lane change on an empty 6 lane freeway, and that he thus could not avoid rear-ending my son and the jeep. State Farm is buying the other guys story because my son was unconscious and could not make a statement at the accident scene, and the Cop screwed up and bought the other guys story on the accident report.
What do you all think?

Looks to me like that much damage had to be from the other guy doing over 100 MPH (lets say 30-40 mph over the speed limit) to not be able to stop in time and avoid ending up hitting my jeep with enough force to do that much damage. I think State Farm is full of shit. :smsoap:Am I right?

The gas tank wash crushed, the rear leaf springs were broken, the bottom spring was sheared!!!! The hitch was shoved all the way through the steel gear axle housing cover, into the cover and the gear box, and the other guys air bag went off (I was told that can only happen if his car was doing at least 25 mph more than my jeep was doing on impact), the tail gate was destroyed, and about 1/4 of the jeep was shoved up to the rear seat and the impact sent my jeep in a multiple roll that rolled it off the freeway.

picture.php

Time to hire a lawyer and an expert. Your sons neck and back are going to give him grief. My not be immediate, but may last a lifetime. We are talking big bucks here. If the other guy has the same insurance as you, chances are the insurance company is going to side with the cheapest option. You are going to have to fight.

Hope your boy has few lasting issues, but chances are he will have. Some of that stuff may not show up for years.

I was passenger in a car, the driver lost control on black ice, hit a solid vertical rock at a round 35 MPH. I hurt but did OK for years, I blew it off playing the manly man. I'm almost a cripple now.

I have gotten a lot done on the XJ to XJ swap, I will post more on that later but I just wanted to show the difference in the brake boosters for now.

c5a914599d184b12123b802e0f98d00a.jpg

That is the 93 single diphram on the top and the 96 double diphram on the bottom . One of the best upgrades I did on my 86 and now the 93.

Adjusted an ABS sensor and got the dash light to go off, adjusted rear brakes and emergency brake. Now just to add some mudflaps and I'll be ready for an over due safety inspection.

Well the 86 its back to stock and the 93 is now 6 inches taller. Too dark for pictures but I will post some tomorrow. Now for all the little, well kinda little, things like SYE, bleeding the brakes, fender trimming, attaching the Trac bar and steering, etc...

Man, I am wore out. I have not done this much mechanic work since the 86 build 8 years ago.

Started doing some cleaning, waxing, windshield treatment and detailing on my jeeps. Need to start researching the the latest and best poor mans jeep paint job techniques, color match and rust hole repair techniques.

64b015b4012ee94c91398b01500f2988.jpg

Still have a lot to do, ugh.

I think I need to change the starter on the jeep before I try to sell. It'll hardly turn over now.

Started some paint and body and rust fix work on my rigs. Tested the diesel in prep for inspection sticker inspection and the emerg-flashers did nothing. :mad:

More issues with the dash and under hood wiring where I still have a slow battery drain issue that does not blow a fuse or smoke wires but drains the battery in 2-3 days, and has been an issue for months now.

Oh and the lack of use seems to have trashed the brake MC after sitting unused for 3-4 years (maybe had 500 miles on the MC). Just replaced the MC clutch MC 2 weeks ago when it seized up. The new belt is tension-ed and working fine (replaced a week ago). Starting to wonder if I will ever be able to drive it again, Hood has a bad case of rust, but I have 2 spare hoods :)

And she seems to rust very fast with the battery disconnected!!!! You all ever notice that?

Prepping to replace the heater hose and coolant bottle and cap montage on my newest jeep, and the bottle and cap (volvo cap and modified bottle) on my Wagoneer (old one is 8 years old now, the experiment worked for 8 years, but the plastic is showing stress cracks in the cap and bottle that I doubt will survive this summer)

And I'm starting roof leak, roof rack mount hole rust, bad nutserts replacement work. Found an awesome site for the new GM style jack nuts for the roof racks and mirror mounts.

http://www.thefastenerwarehouse.com/catalog/item/570438/5979747.htm

They seem to have every imaginable oddball auto fastener there is.

What I want to really do is go to the damn beach with my jeep and be a bum for a few days LOL.:clap::party:

Found new tail gate weather strip on line for $22 this weekend :eek:

Still no final word on the State Farm totaled jeep issue. :soapbox:

You don't need emergency flashers for inspection.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back