• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What was done to YOUR rig(XJ/MJ) today MECHANICALY????

Jeep isnt driveable :( Think Ill start working on getting the axle out after work.

I think I have everything now to swap my d44 in.
20151112_173112_zpspsv0te2q.jpg

Put a tailpipe back on the truck. Got tired of the race bullet muffler dumping underneath just behind the cab, it's almost quiet again! Welded on the passenger front frame stiffener, and put working interior lights in.

Got the other 8.25 swapped in. Still can't go wheeling, but at least I can drive my own vehicle now.

Replaced master cylinder, installed extended steel brake lines on the front, redid rear brakes and bled all of them in proper order with my new hand powered vacuum pump. Coincidentally there is a muscle in my arm that is really sore now. My brake light is still on for some reason though which was the original problem I was trying to fix...

brought it home!! got some welding done at a friends shop. front frame stiffeners and steering gear cross brace. Steering is back!!

Last edited:
Taco Run

AEA8A963-C496-40CF-8EB4-34223A989BB4_zpsbzq49bac.jpg

With some hired driveway help, got the brakes reworked on the 87 Waggy, got the brakes working again, but still fighting the 3 year old mushy peddle when the engine is on, that vanishes with engine off (no vacuum).
????? No one has figured it out, many have tried.
All parts have been replaced, some 2-3 times last 3 years trying to solve the mush problem. Only part I never replaced is the combo valve. Finally got rid of the mystery source of air bubbles, the rear non-leaking (fluid) wheel cylinder was letting air in, but never leaked brake fluid out. BTW all Autozone parts, this time wheel cylinders, leaking fluid brand new out of the box) are junk now it seems. Seems like 75% of their parts I bought at AZ the last 2-3 years have been junk and failed way to soon, some were bad in the box, others failed in days to weeks. I use to get years out of their stuff.

Daughter's 89, 2wd Jeep is back on the road, all new front end and new front wheel bearings (death wobble gone), Saturn is on the road again, new T-stat and upper hose, got lucky on the head and head gasket on that one. Ford Taurus is driveable but has a shifting 1-2 issue when hot. The Dex III we drained out was in real bad shape, drained it 4 times, added 3 different additives, which all helped, All new motor and trans mounts installed too, brake work and new CV joint and battery. White 89 4x4 is still not letting me swap the fuel pump, can't get the seal ring loose and off, need a better tool that actually fits the damn thing.

BTW my daughter is moving to Michigan Dec 30, so I may be looking for a room mate. She is looking for a good used Honda work car for up there near Detroit. Her boyfriend is a new engineer at GM :)

Also got my tools and spare parts pile organized a bit and got the melted headlight switch harness connector replaced on the 85 diesel XJ. Need to fix the head lights next, one bad bulb I think the other a possible bad relay. Drilling a hole next in the firewall for new wiring for the AC and transducer based tachometer and for the new speedometer cable, matching the Jeep dash gauges with the SD-22 Nissan diesel 5 speed transmission.

I stopped there every morning senior year in high school after feeding my show heifer at the barns up the road.

Place is amazing, I just wish they were open later

Place is amazing, I just wish they were open later

I haven't been back in years. It used to be run/owned by a guy and his wife, but they sold it probably 10 years ago. They used to do Menudo on Saturday mornings. No idea if they still do.

Shakedown run at Barnwell. Still have a loose steering gear.... Guess I'm gonna have to buy a welder

This weekend I installed my Napier fender flares, built a new frame side track bar bracket and tried to get the anti rock to work. I'll need to modify the arms a little more than I had time to this weekend. I also replaced my leaking high pressure power steering hose.

Been daily driving my Jeep. Might try and tackle installing the new drag link and tierod sometime this weekend. Also thinking of finding someone to gear the rear axle I just swapped in since I still have no idea on when the guy that geared my other axle will be able to check it out. Might just stick to an actual shop this time. :|

I haven't been back in years. It used to be run/owned by a guy and his wife, but they sold it probably 10 years ago. They used to do Menudo on Saturday mornings. No idea if they still do.

RRC Houston taco meet?

The first weekend that I don't have something on Saturday morning is possibly Feb 27th. Should I put it on the calendar?

Back