• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What was done to YOUR rig(XJ/MJ) today MECHANICALY????

Re: What was done to YOUR rig today?

Finished the roof rack, hood spacer for the heat, got a little more dust on it -no rain around here so everything is turning to dust!

Turned my Jeep into a trailer, I've been waiting to do this build forever! Only took me three hours to complete. Think I did a pretty good job.

1666624005_large.jpg

Is that the new invisible trailer tongue and tow hitch set-up I have been reading so much about lately. Thats so sweet I am so jealous. You even put the matching stickers on the trailer how cute...lol

got my Jeep running Thursday night. 3 of 4 torque converter bolts were loose.

Got my bike running today. new radiator, fan, coolant temp switch, coolant flush (switched to redline with water wetter), new main fuse, new main relay, new battery, new gauge cluster. Runs now!

How hard was it to do that?

and info on bike? kthx

Ed- torque converter was easy. 4 bolts hold on the inspection window plate. take it off, and spin the flywheel with a prybar (compression stroke makes it a little hard,) and tighten the bolts.

radiator/fan/cooling switch on the bike was a little tough, because it was out of an 04 GSXR, so there was a little fabricating that had to happen. cluster and battery were easy as hell.
bike is an 03 GSXR 600. It's my 8th or 9th bike, but I have a good idea I'm selling it back to the dude tonight. It's a basket case. I don't need yet another vehicle with issues. I'd rather just use the payments i am making to pay off debt, and save up for a more reliable truck/Jeep.

Ed- torque converter was easy. 4 bolts hold on the inspection window plate. take it off, and spin the flywheel with a prybar (compression stroke makes it a little hard,) and tighten the bolts.

radiator/fan/cooling switch on the bike was a little tough, because it was out of an 04 GSXR, so there was a little fabricating that had to happen. cluster and battery were easy as hell.
bike is an 03 GSXR 600. It's my 8th or 9th bike, but I have a good idea I'm selling it back to the dude tonight. It's a basket case. I don't need yet another vehicle with issues. I'd rather just use the payments i am making to pay off debt, and save up for a more reliable truck/Jeep.

I want a bike :(

Ah well.

I drove my Jeep to school.

I'll be ordering a HackNTap for it in a bit. Still need to finish rebuilding the NP242 that the HackNTap is going to go on. Then get a front driveshaft with the cardan joint thing and the flange adapter thing that goes on the hackntap.

I want a bike :(

Ah well.

I drove my Jeep to school.

I'll be ordering a HackNTap for it in a bit. Still need to finish rebuilding the NP242 that the HackNTap is going to go on. Then get a front driveshaft with the cardan joint thing and the flange adapter thing that goes on the hackntap.

You should just buy my 231 with the HD internals, and Hack-n-tap it. It is a sealed case so you wouldn't have the TC leaks that people always get with Hack-n-taps. I will even throw in the drive shafts.

You should just buy my 231 with the HD internals, and Hack-n-tap it. It is a sealed case so you wouldn't have the TC leaks that people always get with Hack-n-taps. I will even throw in the drive shafts.

how come it'll leak? just wondering. Because i think i might do that for my cherokee but i have a 231 i think so....

Sounds good, but I'm planning on sticking with the 242 for the time being. I like full-time :D

Unless your T-case is a sealed output like mine you have to buy a bushing/seal kit that seals the output shaft to do the hack-n-tap. Pretty much every one of them I have ever seen leaks.

Not all 231's are sealed outputs. It's actually kind of rare to find one in an XJ. However the 231 is the more desireable case.

We did a H&T on a members 242 and it never had issues with leaks BTW. He had a 4.0, AW4, 242, D44 rear and the XJ front shaft was fully extended when used in the rear and he had to order a custom shaft. roughly 4" of lift, bastard s10/xj leaf pack. And he always had a slight vibe from it also. It was a RE H&T and from what I remember the yoke was kinda crappy, it was basically a slip yoke with the shaft cut off and a washer welded on that wasnt quite centered good enough. To fix the problem, we rolled the jeep and started over on a different one and got a PORC SYE and a 231. Tom Woods sells a whole replacement shaft SYE deal for the 242 but thats a little more $$$ as I am sure you already know. They do 4:1 kits for the 242 also if you are interested.

so basically the sye kit from PORC is alot better then the h&t for RE? i mean i want to kinda be cheap but i don't want anything to happen to it you know haha.

and i mean i'm 6.5in. high with 33's i kinda need one haha

and where do you see an sye kit for $169? the cheapest one i see is $357.99

or is it $169 with out the driveshaft? you know wat i'm just gonna get off this tread and PM you

Last edited:

The $169 will not come with a driveshaft. It will most likely require you to use a front shaft from an XJ, and you may or may not have to have it lengthened.

ok yeah that's what i figured i think i found it but they also have another one that's like $20 bucks more and i think it'll be better in the long run but i'm not sure.... what do you think?

oh and does it matter what year i have to get a driveshaft out of a cherokee? can it be a grand cherokee? does it have to come out of a 4.0L?

Back