• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What does someone think of a Hobart 500414?

AJPulley

NAXJA Forum User
I had asked some questions about stick welding my floorpan and a few of you suggested using a mig. Since I was looking at buying a welder, and most of the posts I've read suggest just buying a mig as well, I wanted to ask everyone's opinion on the Hobart 500414. Its a 120V, 135A welder.
http://www.tool-crib.net/hobart_welders_mig135.html. I've found a few places that are selling factory reconditioned.

I looks nice, but I've never had one. 240V is out since I don't have a garage. I like the variable output rather than a switch, and it comes ready for mig instead of only being able to use flux core. Why don't they come with a tank? I know I would have to go get it filled, but at least I wouldn't have to go find one.

I have that one. I've been happy with it. It's a light duty unit, and does have a 20% duty cycle. It only has four voltage settings. I bought mine from Harbor Freight. Factory reconditioned (full factory warranty), for $379.
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=55236

My only complaints are the low duty cycle (everything I've seen in it's class is 20% as well), and the lack of infinite voltage control.

Static-XJ said:
I have that one. I've been happy with it. It's a light duty unit, and does have a 20% duty cycle. It only has four voltage settings. I bought mine from Harbor Freight. Factory reconditioned (full factory warranty), for $379.
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=55236

My only complaints are the low duty cycle (everything I've seen in it's class is 20% as well), and the lack of infinite voltage control.
Thanks Andy

I agree, you can get it for less money elsewhere. I would look for a 220V welder, then you can do everything from floor pans to heavy duty bumpers, etc.. etc.. You will spend $200 $300 more for a 220V, but will be well worth it. If you cant or dont want to step up that much, than the one you were looking at is a very good welder.

you can do 220v even if you don't have a garage. there are extension cords for 220v just like 110v and you will not be kicking yourself later.

Well, ToolKing was out of the one I was looking at, so I ordered the 500500, the Handler 140.

BJ-666, the reason I didn't want to get the 220V one is because I can move the 110V around, depending on where I want to use it, and I am fairly confident with a stick welder working on larger material. Besides, I am an electrician and the last thing I want to do when I come home is wire something on my own house. I hope the 140 turns out to be as good as the 135.

The 140 replaced the 135. I used a 135 to build my XJ. From my control arms to bumpers, and crossmember. Its heavy enough do do just about anything if you have the juice going to it. I just picked up a used L-tec mig on ebay it runs on 110 and 220. So I have the best of both worlds now.

Back