• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What do you have left to do?

IntrepidXJ said:
rear driveshaft in......took it around the block a few times, did a few burnouts in high and low, forwards and reverse to make sure it wouldn't pop out and grind. working flawlessly now. few minor things to finish up, but i could load up and go as it is right now :)

Have'nt you left yet Randy?

:D

my "to do" list is still pretty extensive but it's all small stuff.

7 days left and the next 4 are forecast as RAIN!! AARRGGHHH!!

MUST DO:

tear into rear brakes and make E-brake work.

rebuild RE trackbar flex-joint

change valve cover and gasket. (i really hope thats where my oil leak is...)

change ALL oil / fluids.

fab a CB antenna mount on the tire carrier.

Like I said earlier, 1 step forward 2 steps back. I went for a ride last night just to make sure everything was working. Got into the mud and snow, threw it in 4 wheel. Had to get on it to get moving again and heard a bunch of popping in the front end. Ugghhh....

clint said:
Had to get on it to get moving again and heard a bunch of popping in the front end. Ugghhh....

We can figure it out tomorrow.:D

Geepfreak said:
We can figure it out tomorrow.:D
I hope so. I'm thinking it's the collar that connects the 2 axles together, I do not think the posi-lock is adjusted correctly so I think the collar may have been slipping off....I sure hope its that easy.

clint said:
I hope so. I'm thinking it's the collar that connects the 2 axles together, I do not think the posi-lock is adjusted correctly so I think the collar may have been slipping off....I sure hope its that easy.

Of course it'll be easy, we'll gut it, and replace with a warn one piece.:thumbup:
Get rid of the whole disconnect thing altogether..:D

Clint, the Posi-lock cable has a very short throw so you only need to be off a little to not have it engage. Pretty easy to fine tune with two people.

I'm never done, but other than changing the oil and checking the diff fluid I'm ready to go. :)

See you guys Wed.

Probably around 3:00, no later than that. I might get there earlier depending on when I get away from work on Tuesday.

What are you guys doing Wed eveing? Planning a central campfire anywhere? I'd be up for dinner at Moab Brewery or somewhere.

Goatman said:
Probably around 3:00, no later than that. I might get there earlier depending on when I get away from work on Tuesday.

What are you guys doing Wed eveing? Planning a central campfire anywhere? I'd be up for dinner at Moab Brewery or somewhere.
Most will be at Slickrock. I changed my plans a little and will be staying at a hotel. If anyone is dry camping somewhere we should invade them. :D

We'll stay at Slickrock. Mostly want to say hi to everyone. My daughter is going to be there Wed leaving on a rafting trip down Cataract Canyon, so I'm hoping to get there in time to see her.

If we were keeping score......
After tonights work party the score would be
Jeep & Suburban 2, Tom ZERO!

Trying to install the fuel tank skid I got from my future son in law and the thing isn't fitting just right. Only has four holes and two do not line up with the nutstrips. The tow hitch for a rear recovery point is a dubious fit, came from my nephew. It does fit without the skid though. So I look at the underside of my DD and the skid is sandwiched between the hitch and uni-body. The DD is OEM stuff.

Well on the 88 no worky that way. :confused: The skid actually has a cut out perpindicular to the ground for the hitch's rails to go back towards the front. and mounts after the hith is on. The skid has four holes only the rear most two sorta line up with the hitch/unibody/nutstrip.

Ok so I'll just grab a butt load of self tapping bolts and drill a few holes and wahlah! it will be installed...guess again Tonto...The tail pipe is in the way on the curbside and I never replaced my right angle drill after it was stolen. May have cross threaded the nut strip also. Mary to the rescue, she's going to the hardware store tomorrow.

Score 1 for the XJ.

So ok I'm at an impasse with the XJ...on to the tow vehicle my wonderful 1990 Suburban. It had blown a rubber trans cooler line a couple of months ago so I replaced the line and while I was at it extended them with formed steel and flare fittings. Well two weeks ago I decided to get fancy and install a temp guage. Cut one of the steel lines and install the tee that came with the JC Witney B&M guage kit (I'm really not sure of the orgin as this thing has sat on my parts shelf for several years, but the box does say B&M). The tee fitting uses compression fittings and well...somewhere between the Sierra Chapter M&G at Farmer Matts they started weeping. I never liked compression fittings. So I take it all apart, remove the lines get a tee with the correct size flare ends, break out the flaring tool, reach onto the shelf and pull down some steel line and fittings and well....I broke my tubing cutter last time out and never replaced it. :doh: Mary to the rescue, she's going to the hardware store tomorrow.

Score 1 for the Suburban.

So vehicles 2, Tom Zero.:looser:

my consulation prize...Ranting here and knowing one week from tonight I'll be in Moab with wonderful scenery and good friends.:)

Tom

Got my rock sliders and transfer case skid mounted up yesterday. (thanks Jeremy!) I still have not decided if I'm gonna cut fenders before I go or not, but other than that I'm ready to roll! Less than 1 week!

Back