• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What did you do to your XJ today

It was! Brake lines look good and it's not leaking anywhere. I had been stopped for about 30 seconds before the pedal gave out. I'm leaning towards the master cylinder so I think I'll hit up the junk yard this weekend and see if I can get a zj MC and booster

I guess I don't have a really good reason for the ZJ parts other than there are a ton of them at the junk yard and good writeups for the swaps on here. If there are any newer xj's then I will probably look at them first.

Did a bunch of stuff, but one I want to share is the installation of longer wheel studs. I had my wheels off over the weekend and realized that I had forgotten about this sketchy situation:
756795557a6c1f2ad32b8dd847a85f58.jpg

I "needed" front wheel spacers as a result of my WJ swap, and was tired of spending time and money on the Jeep when I put them on and found that the stock studs come up woefully short when a spacer is added. I've been running like this for a year without issue, but it was time to stop rolling the dice.

Again, NAXJA came to the rescue.

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1057992

Longer studs from a TJ Rubicon. Since I had put in new unit bearings during my build, the existing studs popped right out with a couple hammer blows. I used the shade tree method and pulled the new ones through an oversized nut with my impact. Safety wins!
2c7d90ed8ebe987a8a2f1b9d4636b707.jpg

Anyone installing spacers or swapping in alloy wheels should look into this.

Last edited:
Well haven't done anything to the jeep yet but while I was stopped at a red light on the way home from work today, the brake pedal decided it wanted to go to the floor and stop doing its job. Luckily I was able to pull the e brake before I rolled into traffic. It made for a pretty scary drive the rest of the way home. I think redoing the brakes has just moved to the top of my list..

I have nightmares about this all the time. Glad you made it through just fine.

Me too! I'm just glad I was stopped when they quit, it could have been a lot worse. It did force me to upgrade though! I picked up a WJ master and booster the other day at the JY. They didn't have any xj's or zj's with them. I think I'm just about done with the swap now. I need to replace two fittings and flare the line's and to bleed the brakes.
6161ae769c09ae7826bbf58b270937b2.jpg

I may take the brake lines to someone else to flare though, I haven't been able to get one to look anywhere near trust worthy on my practice flares.

I installed a second hand IRO double shear track bar tonight cause my JKS needed to be rebuilt. Is it my crappy welding job or is it hard to get track bar brackets to line up after front frame cladding is installed? The factory one fits like crap and now the IRO bracket needed some hammer time.

My Jeep has just been issue after issue trying to get her to run again.

Replaced the Crank Position Sensor, after the... Hell, I don't remember sensor.

Then replaced the ignition coil and she would start up, and then she wouldn't.
Once Casper was running, she ran for an hour and then wouldn't...

Finally got a code for the Idle Air Control sensor. Replaced that, and it would start and run until the idle stabilized, and then it won't run. Pull out the IAC, and it starts and runs, but at a high RPM. Replace with another one, and it will run only under acceleration. My son took it around the block and at idle it stalls. As of yesterday would not start at all.

We are now thinking PCM, or fuel pump...

Anyone have input?

Replaced rear driveshaft u.joint it was just about ready to fall out.

Finally got a code for the Idle Air Control sensor. Replaced that, and it would start and run until the idle stabilized, and then it won't run. Pull out the IAC, and it starts and runs, but at a high RPM. Replace with another one, and it will run only under acceleration. My son took it around the block and at idle it stalls. As of yesterday would not start at all.

Anyone have input?

Are the sensors dealership? Maybe try abd check the voltage/ohm of the sensors to make sure they're working.
Maybe check your wiring for any cut or Frayed wiring that could be causing shorts

As demonoid suggested ohm and volt check your replaced sensors. I found out the hard way as you might too I replaced all my sensors with Napa stuff my jeep kept having issues checked them and they were junk lucky I found Mopar replacements online about half the cost of the stealership.

Anyone have input?

Sounds like its time to check and clean the TB. from that i would say check the throttle position sensor. ohm it and adjust. also check the map sensor hose and connection.

Ohm it and adjust... Not my language...

I have no clue there how to do.

Will probably pull the TB in the next couple days

I've been having cooling issues with my rig since Day 1. I initially did the "electric fan switch the easy way" mod, so the e-fan runs all the time. The engine still frequently got over 200*, and even 210*, on long uphill climbs or while wheeling.
I installed a ZJ fan clutch about 10 days ago, flogged the Jeep, and it never got above 180. Who knows if just a new stock XJ clutch would have fixed it, but I'm definitely digging this mod. Part # 272310.

I've been having cooling issues with my rig since Day 1. I initially did the "electric fan switch the easy way" mod, so the e-fan runs all the time. The engine still frequently got over 200*, and even 210*, on long uphill climbs or while wheeling.
I installed a ZJ fan clutch about 10 days ago, flogged the Jeep, and it never got above 180. Who knows if just a new stock XJ clutch would have fixed it, but I'm definitely digging this mod. Part # 272310.
Any clearance issue between the fan clutch and the radiator?

I remember trying this years ago, and found the ZJ fan clutch to be longer. Maybe I got the wrong part # at the time, but it seems like an easy mod to gain some CFM's though.

Isn't 190-200 where they're supposed to be?

I forget, been too long since I've driven mine.... :(

Tested the Fuel pressure and stripped the wires and distributor of misc parts, to have replaced under warranty. Guy at the store said lets take a look the cheap "free" stuff first. So took back all of the lifetime warranty stuff.

Back