• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What did I do to my XJ today? (Post your XJ TECH happenings)

Re: What did I do to my XJ today? (Post your XJ happenings)

Here ya go. What I though was going to be a simple cut and fold turned into an all day ordeal. It started with the stupid rust. After cutting and bending the fender metal, I decided to weld the lip to the inside of the fender, instead of just liquid nails, rtv, etc. Well, what I didn't realize was there is a stupid mini-trashbag full of cotton and fiber insulation in the lower quarter panel. No idea what it is for other than to sabotage your metal with rust. Needless to say, after burning the fender lips together, I had smoke pouring out of my quarter panel and cargo area. I ripped out the interior panels like the incredible hulk, breaking a bunch of plastic in the process, and put out the flames inside my car. The rest of the day was spent repairing the stupid rust and getting more plastic from the junkyard...

The stupid bag full of suprises.
DSC02443.jpg

And how the fenders looked at the end of the day. Still have to sand down the fiberglass filler and shoot more primer/paint.
DSC02441.jpg

thanks for the chuckle. if that was my cargo area it would have wnet up in flames , my carpet was soaked in oil and grease back there, before i ripped it out..:cheers:

nice repair. my floor boards are shot on my 84...thinking about putting it out to pasture.. although it is a two door and those are rare in omaha, and i love my 2 door....maybe i will weld in some panels.

Worked on drilling out a broke bolt in my POS upper rear shock mount. I need a corded drill my cordless just does not have the power.

tomorrow im doing the ca's,motor and tranny mounts and making the seats work, if i have time i need to fix a hack job on the fenders from the PO.

Fail.
The wife had other ideas of how i should spend my day.

Saturday i dropped in the new stroker, and made random progress on hooking everything back up. it is going to be a long week of nights making everything right again.
Today i went to the junkyard to get a water pump pulley because i lost mine during the rebuild. got the water pump installed on the block, new hoses and clamps, initial fill of coolant, and cleaned the garage. in cleaning the garage, i found the water pump with pulley that i thought i lost, and purchased a replacement for:doh:
also landed a 136A alternator

Saturday i dropped in the new stroker, and made random progress on hooking everything back up. it is going to be a long week of nights making everything right again.
Today i went to the junkyard to get a water pump pulley because i lost mine during the rebuild. got the water pump installed on the block, new hoses and clamps, initial fill of coolant, and cleaned the garage. in cleaning the garage, i found the water pump with pulley that i thought i lost, and purchased a replacement for:doh:
also landed a 136A alternator

Post some pics man :geek: Would be nice to see and some bullets of what you purchased for this conversion

Post some pics man :geek: Would be nice to see and some bullets of what you purchased for this conversion
searching mod tech for alternator has all sorts of results, including my crappy thread on the topic
turns out the 136 won't work with the '99 field connectors without splicing the harness.
i could use a '04 durango 4.7 160a alternator, but then i would need upgraded mains etc. decided to get a reman stock 117a unit and upgrade the wiring later, THEN jump to the 160. probably get a set of brackets from the junkyard to mod them before doing the swap. the stroker has cost me enough already, and i need the coin to finish the 44, that 35 isn't going to like the stroker all that much.

anyway, i put in the alternator, PS pump and tensioner, mech. fan, belt and overflow tube, and hooked up the CPS, and put in that little bolt on the intake that holds the fuel rail and MAP/intake temp sensor wire in place. then it started raining.

starting to look like an engine compartment again

I scored a decent 95 2dr 4wd aw4 189K with an overheated engine for $300(first one I've bought with the skid). It starts, but is running rough, so I think it might just be a head gasket and find out why it was leaking in the first place. The guy had just bought it in March and so he paid for the brake work(calipers, rotors, pads, and new lines) and tires for it to pass inspection($700). I rented a tow dolly(to tow say a 91 tercel) from Uhaul and was 5 miles from the house when I had a big backfire that blew out the borla(I had to gut it a couple months ago from a backfire that blew the preferrated s in half--borla wouldn't redeem the million mile warranty, which is fair since it was my fault). She immediately lost power and I had to pull over. It started every 10 tries and I could blip it to 5K a couple times and then it would drop to 3K and then die out. I need to get a fuel pressure gauge and see if it's the pump. An IAC code was set, which is weird cause it backfired instead of frontfired. Brother with his 93 came to the rescue. Never a dull moment.

finally got my stroker finalized, installed, hooked up, plumbed, primed and running :woohoo:

new water pump, thermostat, thermostat housing, radiator, and cap, guage sensor tons of coolent added a spacer to back of hood, rotated tires, o and im still running at 230 deg WTF

new water pump, thermostat, thermostat housing, radiator, and cap, guage sensor tons of coolent added a spacer to back of hood, rotated tires, o and im still running at 230 deg WTF

Fan clutch and e-fan.

Cleaned the 95 head with carb cleaner and a brass brush after scraping gunk off intake ports. The carb cleaner seeped slowly through two intake valves--hopefully just carbon holding it up(cause I wasn't planning on a valve job).

Sunday afternoon I replaced the pinion oil seal in my Dana 30 and installed a new yoke and nut. With a pipe wrench in one hand holding the yoke and the torque wrench in the other nearing 150 ft lbs ( I had already gotten it to 140 ft lbs.) the torque wrench popped of the pinion nut and I got the mother of all knuckle busters as I punched the garage floor. It's Tuesday and I haven't stopped cursing!!!

Washed the rusty spots...and pulled the headliner and replaced the old droopy fabric with black vinyl. Looks better.

Just about finished up re gearing the front axle, and tore apart the rear. These new 4.56's should be able to get these 33's rolling.

Cant weight

My mj sat in my back driveway with a flat front tire and something messed up in the front end. Horrible popping coming from the steering box. Oh well, I'll get to it.

utf-8BSU1HMDAwNDUuanBn.jpg

utf-8BSU1HMDAwNDYuanBn.jpg

added some louvers to the hood should bring my traffic and crawling temps down a bit

Last edited:

I removed the grill and started cleaning all the crap and little rocks out of the A\C condensor. After that I started straightening all the MANY little fins. Man what a daunting task. Should help the airflow a bit with all the junk that came out.

I finished up my winch. I scored an old but working Ramsey REP8000 for $100. Rebuilt and cleaned up the winch. Added a Warn portable receiver mount, new wiring and a Masterpull winch rope.
jeep003-1.jpg

jeep006-1.jpg

jeep008-1.jpg

jeep010-1.jpg

jeep009-4.jpg

Tested out today and it it works great.

Let the battery die a little more in prep for the move to the auto shop this week.

It's only been sitting for 9 months......

I have worked on it, but I am out of options and tools for advance testing, so it's off to the shop!

Went doorless.
doorless.jpg

Tried stopping the grinder with my thumb
thumb.jpg

Back