• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What are you towing with?

It's big, it's slow, it gets 10 MPG.

I love it.

DSCF1962.jpg

DSCF1971.jpg

DSCF1976.jpg

1989 S1654, 33ft overall length.
Scaled at 17K gross weight last trip it made. That was with a mildly built XJ. My MJ is a big fat pig, so probably a bit heavier.

I love the looks I get at the pump :D

2011-01-03131609.jpg

'05 Liberty CRD

Going over the maximum weight rating for a vehicle is a no no. :twak:

Going over the maximum weight rating for a vehicle is a no no. :twak:

Making assumptions is a no no :twak:

The Disco and trailer were just under my max tow capacity... not over. ;)

I did feel her back there tough, and thankfully will never be asked to do it again.

Making assumptions is a no no :twak:

The Disco and trailer were just under my max tow capacity... not over. ;)

I did feel her back there tough, and thankfully will never be asked to do it again.

The Dicovery weighs 4500# and the max towing capacity on that wannabe Jeep is 5000#. The trailer has to be at the minimum 1300#

with the pic i posted, I figure trailer weighs 2200lbs unloaded.. jeep was loaded so i guestimate that load at about 7800lbs... plus the jeep was loaded with 3 adults and camp gear.. GCVW was somewhere around 14,000lbs

could of killed many people that day.... Glad i called it off like 10 mins after the picture!

The Dicovery weighs 4500# and the max towing capacity on that wannabe Jeep is 5000#. The trailer has to be at the minimum 1300#

The Disco's curb weight is 4465, minus 20 some gal of fuel, engine, transmission, t-case, coolant, trans fulid, radiator, and some other bips and bops.... so we'll call it an even 3400lbs. Add 2220lb for the trailer, and you are looking at 5620lbs. Considering my wannabe Jeep was purchased on foreign soil, and spec'd as such, I have a factory rated tow capacity of 2800kg (~6172lbs) with brakes, thus the towed package was under rated capacity. I towed the Disco for a total of 15mi, and as said, I could feel it back there and doubt I would ever to do it again. Again, don't assume too much. ;)

I am not here to argue with anyone, just to post a picture of what we use to tow... isn't that the point of the thread?

I own two Jeeps, the XJ and the KJ.

The day my KJ can wheel as well as my XJ, is the day I scrap the XJ.

The day my XJ can get the same fuel economy, power output, and road manners of the KJ, is the day I dump the IFS retard in the family.

Sadly, those days will never happen; the KJ will never wheel as well... and the XJ will never be as pleasant to drive. Therefore, I suck up my pride and get 30+mpg in the wannabe, driving the XJ only when the need for beating on something out weighs 15mpg on the highway, or it's winter.

edit to stay on topic:
The KJ mostly drags around my Japanese Type-73 military trailer for various hauling duties.

IMG_2701.jpg

Last edited:
I didn't realize that Discovery had no drivetrain in it. That changes things up a lot.

with the pic i posted, I figure trailer weighs 2200lbs unloaded.. jeep was loaded so i guestimate that load at about 7800lbs... plus the jeep was loaded with 3 adults and camp gear.. GCVW was somewhere around 14,000lbs

could of killed many people that day.... Glad i called it off like 10 mins after the picture!

Are you the sexy big guy?

05 vw touareg v8 air ride

Towed with my XJ. The guy flat tows this to the trail with a COMPASS. It died on the trail and the compass wasn't able to drag it out. So my (at time) brake less XJ towed it out

312353_563941651273_202202220_31346472_1596366_n.jpg

Last edited:
05 vw touareg v8 air ride

Is that the gas one? I know at one time the Touareg had a Diesel that had a 7K lb tow rating. I think it was the first year or two they came out and was maybe a v12? How does it handle the load? What is it's toe rating now? Aluminum trailer or a standard steel one? I like it.

VW had a 5.0 V10 TDI in it. CA killed it after like the first year or two. I thought they kept selling it elsewhere though?

Is that the gas one? I know at one time the Touareg had a Diesel that had a 7K lb tow rating. I think it was the first year or two they came out and was maybe a v12? How does it handle the load? What is it's toe rating now? Aluminum trailer or a standard steel one? I like it.

It is the gas one.it has a 7700lb tow rating.it tows really well with the air ride no sag .it is a standard steel one

Back