• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What are you doing to your rig - the continuing saga

A big shout-out to Trail Jeeps in Golden!

My old tires were pretty much done. When I saw the owner of Trail Jeeps at the Toys for Tots event, I asked him if he sold take-offs for my 18" wheels. To keep life simple, he made me a SCREAMIN'! deal on tires and wheels.

These grew on me pretty fast:

attachment.php

attachment.php

Yeah Weston is a good dude...known him for a while. Ran into him on Green Day out at BFE last year.

Spent many an hour in his truck with friends goinf to WERock comps back when he had buggies.

Yeah Weston is a good dude...known him for a while. Ran into him on Green Day out at BFE last year.

Spent many an hour in his truck with friends going to WERock comps back when he had buggies.
Yes, he is! When I was dismantling the railcar repair shop, I stopped in and asked for some empty wooden crates they had on hand. Everyone there treated me well.

The day I picked up my tires, there were two people working in the shop, and two built XJs in the employee parking. :laugh:

I posted on the Chapter Facebook Page. Can we prevail upon the moderators there to "like" Trail Jeeps?

Looking all fancy like Mike!
Thanks Dillon!

Part I like best, is the tires track well enough that the back axle does not try to break out and pass the front axle! :shocked: :shiver:

I posted on the Chapter Facebook Page. Can we prevail upon the moderators there to "like" Trail Jeeps?

All the credentials were handed over to social media when I quit running everything. I don’t know who has or runs it now - Haven’t been admin for good while.

All the credentials were handed over to social media when I quit running everything. I don’t know who has or runs it now - Haven’t been admin for good while.

That page is still run by Flores. Never could get him to give it up.

Ya'll need to get this going. That is what is tied to the social media account that I created last year or the year before.

https://www.facebook.com/naxja.colorado.7

Set the new seats in to see how they'll fit before I get too far on the interior and finished the rear exo cage tie in plates to the inner c hoop and triangulated the c hoop which was just a set of dead nodes b4 .

IMG_20190127_33987.jpg IMG_20190127_12335.jpg IMG_20190127_37869.jpg IMG_20190127_56226.jpg

Got pretty much all the new frame plating done. Starting on upper link mount now. The hole on the right is a small tube that connects the frame plate to outer frame plate to help "box" it all in. Links should all be pretty close to same length like this. I made another piece to tie the two link tabs together. Anyone has any suggestions let me know!

39934612813_2f410241a2_c.jpg

Got pretty much all the new frame plating done. Starting on upper link mount now. The hole on the right is a small tube that connects the frame plate to outer frame plate to help "box" it all in. Links should all be pretty close to same length like this. I made another piece to tie the two link tabs together. Anyone has any suggestions let me know!

Should be strong enough, but it hangs kinda low it's lower than my front lower mounts which are the Claytons early non pocket style mounts and if you recall I hung up easy on that with even slightly bad tire placement with 44s . If I was building fresh I'd probably aim for the lower mount being flush with the rail and cut the tub if needed to get the vertical separation between the mounts if needed . The good thing about this low hanging mount is it will make getting a flatter angle on the arms easier with moderate lift .

I will also say if this is a single upper link set up go big on the mount and big on the bolt size because you now have coilovers and if that link let's go it's going to be expensive.

It's a 5/8 bolt. The lowers are 3/4 bolts. I might just drill it to 3/4 then since I have enough bolts and misalignment spacers. And yess it's a 3 link. I know the mounts are low but these links aren't going to be crazy long so they won't be hanging low way far back. Really the setup will be pretty similar to in4arides telluride build which seemed like it worked pretty well.

Is this for the front? My rusty 4 link has the lower control arm mounts under the frame rail too and hit them regularly.

Yes for the front

My front lower arms were standard off the shelve length Clayton front control arms mounted a bit higher than the bottom of the frame rail they still found rocks with 42s and 44s . But my driving sucks I'm no Shannon Campbell. That said I really never do get stuck on them just on that one bit of nothing spot on chinamans harder trails like carnage I never had an issue , so like I said my driving sucks.

What are you doing out back? Tire size?

With the 35’s I haven’t been hung up on those lower arm mounts, but I do still hit them. It’s always a compromise, especially with XJ’s. I do think you’ve got the mount integrated very well. It looks good.

Just gonna rock the leafs out back for now. Will be on at least 37s maybe 40s but not bigger. I figured the lowers would hit now and then. Everything else is tucked up high and I really didn't want my mounts on the cross member. Seems like either the mounts hang down a little or everything ends up thru the floor. Thanks for the replies.

uLbAovQ.jpg

I wouldn't say easy, small hickups, pulled mounts off the block,oil filter adapter snaging body mount. I think it might be worth taking the trans with it for sake of ease if I were to do it again. I'm Eager to tear into the old block and see what carnage there is.

Last edited:
Looks like you’ve upgraded your garage. You should buy my 12t press to put in it lol.

Looking good!

Back