• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What are you doing to your rig - the continuing saga

More teasers of my mall rated junk...

Going to try and hit up emissions tomorrow. I need to test this thing out!

14713017_1337849159609084_5921793360448853335_o.jpg

14671272_1337849086275758_1895169469239307305_n.jpg

IMG_2151.jpg

It looks sad without the turbo...

Awesome man, thanks. I just went through your build thread again. Great stuff.

Do you think those rear shock towers would be strong enough to be part of a roll cage? I'm basically thinking of having the c-pillar attach to the top of it and having a cross bar and rear brace like how you have yours.

Awesome man, thanks. I just went through your build thread again. Great stuff.

Do you think those rear shock towers would be strong enough to be part of a roll cage? I'm basically thinking of having the c-pillar attach to the top of it and having a cross bar and rear brace like how you have yours.

Correctly braced and tied in, I would totally think so. But I'm not much for the smarts.

Well, just as I am making progress on getting the new engine tuned right, there are drips of red oily fluid dripping off of the bell housing. Guessing the AX-15 is leaking at it's front seal onto my new clutch that up till has worked better than any I've had before(total of 6 maybe?).

The fluid was oily because a red glycol solution dripping on an oily surface, as most beneath my jeep are, dissolves the lighter weight oils. It was the coolant Flores put in, dripping from the heater hose connection because of the clamps he didn't tighten. :)

Having driven the beast more, after re-indexing the distributor, I'm starting to like it. Accelerating with vim and vigor up Fillmore hill put a smile on my face. I'm still going to check the cam timing, but I'm guessing it's okay, since I checked the vacuum today post adjustment and it's gone from 7 psi to 13-14 psi which is normal at 6k feet. Assuming the cam timing is okay, I'm putting 19# four hole injectors back in, and if it's still lean, adding in the map sensor adjustor box.

Could it be, I'll have a drivable jeep? Only time and money will tell. :)

Feel like I just got arse raped at U Pull & Pay, just over 600$ to get out of there. Got an Explorer 8.8 with 3.73 Limited Slip and new brakes on it, A HP D30 complete from end to end, a 231 t-case (mine has a 242), spare shafts, 2 1310 pinion flange adapters, WJ booster and master, and a disc Brake ZJ proportioning valve.

So, went to emissions yesterday and failed horribly on the NoX. 4.3 out of 2 max. WTF. Air/fuels seem to be good according to the wide-band. I hooked up my scanner and noticed that my TPS is showing 13% at idle? I don't think I've noticed it being that high at idle but can't remember. I don't have a CEL either, but could the sensor be dying?

Tps shouldn't cause that. What are your fuel trims per your WB? Usually high NOx is from lean conditions. Could be a bad o2. I love el paso county- no gas program here!

WB shows a good afr around 14.7 low load, and about 13:1 WOT

Fuel trims are -3%. The upstream O2 is fairly new (NGK). The downstream is old and will be getting replaced. Cat is in good shape. No exhaust leaks so far as I can tell. Wish this thing would cut me a f'n break once in a while sheesh.

Everyday I get a little bit closer to swapping in a 1.9TDI. :rolleyes:

So, went to emissions yesterday and failed horribly on the NoX. 4.3 out of 2 max. WTF. Air/fuels seem to be good according to the wide-band. I hooked up my scanner and noticed that my TPS is showing 13% at idle? I don't think I've noticed it being that high at idle but can't remember. I don't have a CEL either, but could the sensor be dying?

Did your jeep sit for a while as a build before the test? If so, how long?

The one time my 4.0 failed emissions (ever) was really high NOx and it was after sitting under the knife for 2 years. I had a full tank of 2+ year old fuel in it. I drained the tank, put in some premium 91 octane gas, ran about 1/2 a tank with some engine cleaner from the parts store, then filled it back up with premium and went to re-test and it passed again.

Did your jeep sit for a while as a build before the test? If so, how long?

The one time my 4.0 failed emissions (ever) was really high NOx and it was after sitting under the knife for 2 years. I had a full tank of 2+ year old fuel in it. I drained the tank, put in some premium 91 octane gas, ran about 1/2 a tank with some engine cleaner from the parts store, then filled it back up with premium and went to re-test and it passed again.

Not really actually. I've been driving it around with a new tank of gas to get the computer to re-learn. At last check, the compression was good, leakdown was about -1%. It's felt low on power which is why I had started pointing my finger at the transmission, but it holds and shifts fine. Temps never get above 180.

I would love a CEL for once. :bs:

Wouldn't hurt to verify your exhaust is ok. Never know. Simple vacuum gauge can tell you a lot. Did you fail or come close to failing any other test points?

Yeah ill definetly smoke test it to make sure. I dont have the results with me but it was prety good on HC and maybe 8 out of 12 on CO. I wonder what the oem fuel ratio is under load. I do have an adjustable fuel regulator so I can dial it in.

Back