• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What are you doing to your rig - the continuing saga

Got to quit smoking that weed when you start cutting.:wow:

Finally found a new rear hatch and bumper to fix my recent rearending. Hopefully I'll get them on today.

Bumper WI need some painting but that'll have to wait for now...

Rides soooooooo much smoother. Even with brand new shocks in rear, the rear feels like ass compared to the 5100 up front. May be time for some bilstein in the rear too. Shit.
image_zpsjirtsbv5.jpg

Never messed with em as a strut before. Was crazy because front still had good pressure when we pulled em. But even with the level it rides awesome. Something a bit more stiff in the rear to match will balance it out better than the OE replacements I have back there now.
But now that it's level it definitely needs a little bit more tire.

Welp... screwed up with the hatch install and now I'm stuck. Evidently I didn't get it adjusted right so know when you try to open it, the hatch hits the roof. So cannot open it more then a few inches...

Anyone have experience with this or have thoughts on what I can do? I cannot get to the hing bolts since I cannot open hatch much...

Almost done with the passenger side of my frame stiffeners. I am really liking how they are turning out.

Hopefully i can finish up this weekend and start on the drivers side.

Almost got things finished up on the JK.

I ran the power wires for the winch and spoiled up my rope. Then I tackled the LED fog lights TNT sells with the bumper. I cut the ends off the stock fog light wiring and used GM Weatherpack connectors to plug the new lights into it.

I also used the Weatherpack connectors to make adapter pig tails out of the stock fog light ends in case I ever have a need to go back to factory lighting.

I still need to secure the solenoid box to the bumper, but otherwise the antirock is installed and the bumper is all done. I'll pull it out of the garage for some better pics this weekend.

Go through the license plate screw grommet holes with a long flat screwdriver and pry up the release mechanism

It's not latched. I just can't open it more then a few inches since the hatch hits the roof. So I can't get to the hinge bolts...

Outside picture with everything done

I'm thinking of welding a piece to the cage to mount my RotoPax fuel cans on the sides like this.

Welp... screwed up with the hatch install and now I'm stuck. Evidently I didn't get it adjusted right so know when you try to open it, the hatch hits the roof. So cannot open it more then a few inches...

Anyone have experience with this or have thoughts on what I can do? I cannot get to the hing bolts since I cannot open hatch much...
I went out and looked at my '97. I think that if you went from inside the Jeep, took out the screws you can reach, you may be able to bend the center trim down enough to reach the hinge bolts on the roof. I'd make sure that plastic trim was warm before trying to move it around.

It's not latched. I just can't open it more then a few inches since the hatch hits the roof. So I can't get to the hinge bolts...

So if I'm reading this right, you had the hatch open, replacing it and bolted the hinges down - essentially too far forward so when you went to close it, the hatch edge slipped over the roof edge and now the two edges catch keeping you from opening it....... right?

Dayum, that sucks.

I'm thinking that if I were in that predicament I'd look for something that I could put down in the gap, thin and slick enough to encourage the hatch edge to slip up and over the roof edge.

My wife has these thin plastic cutting sheets - made of that strong slick plastic. I'd probably try something like that.

11771043.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks guys. Yellow, your description is exactly right. I do have the inside all taken apart currently so I'll peek up in there. It was getting dark Friday when I was trying to figure things out. I'll see if I can see the bolts from inside. I didn't notice them previously. Otherwise we have cutting boards just like that. Maybe it'll work.

Success!!!

For anyone who cares, this was doable using a combination of both recommendations. From inside, I was able to open the hatch just enough to get a wrench in there and loosen the 4 bolts. Once that was complete I hopped outside and and was able to shift the hatch down so that it would now slip in to the roof groove as it's supposed to.

Hatch installed, internal bits all back in and I can now open, close, and lock a properly sealing hatch door!

Anyone looking for hatch glass, window wiper motors, lock actuators, etc? Assuming everything works as it seems to on my 'new' hatch I'll have an extra one to be parted out.

So these happened. Shop dicked up the back of the wheels so gotta see what happens there. It's in the shop for now getting some boo boos fixed.

image_zps1z36qj7h.jpg
n

Back