• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What are you doing to your rig - the continuing saga

...lol...even worse are the used teralow 231s folks want $1200 for .

And what is wrong with that? Yeah everyone would love an Atlas or Stak but many cannot justify the cost or even afford it. I have a Tera Low 231 w/ 2 low and wide chain upgrade and am very happy with it...... have been for several years now. 1200 is not bad for someone on a budget that does not crawl all the time. I do a fair amount of crawlin but am on a budget that only allows things like the Tera Low. :pirate1:

And what is wrong with that? Yeah everyone would love an Atlas or Stak but many cannot justify the cost or even afford it. I have a Tera Low 231 w/ 2 low and wide chain upgrade and am very happy with it...... have been for several years now. 1200 is not bad for someone on a budget that does not crawl all the time. I do a fair amount of crawlin but am on a budget that only allows things like the Tera Low. :pirate1:

If it fits your needs it's fine , but the used prices are what gets me with those units as I see them going for $1200 ...used...that's the units cost new ...lol...not even an atlas sells used for what was paid new . for me the issue of the teralow not being rated to live with wheel speeds of 25 mph or better turns me away since I need low range to have the torque to generate good offroad wheelsdpeed running a stock 4.0 and 40s ,so the teralow would not be reliable for my application . I run a stock 2.72 231 with 32 spline rear output the t-case is last on my upgrade list unless it grenades before then ,but so far it's got me over everything I pointed it at ...lol...good sticky tires are far ahead of the t-case on my list .

If it fits your needs it's fine , but the used prices are what gets me with those units as I see them going for $1200 ...used...that's the units cost new ...lol...not even an atlas sells used for what was paid new . for me the issue of the teralow not being rated to live with wheel speeds of 25 mph or better turns me away since I need low range to have the torque to generate good offroad wheelsdpeed running a stock 4.0 and 40s ,so the teralow would not be reliable for my application . I run a stock 2.72 231 with 32 spline rear output the t-case is last on my upgrade list unless it grenades before then ,but so far it's got me over everything I pointed it at ...lol...good sticky tires are far ahead of the t-case on my list .
How in the world are you wheeling with a 2.42 low range on 4Ds.

Back when I actually offroaded, I wished I was lower with a 4:1 TeraLow on 35s.

Matt, I do it quite a bit with the sticky 40's (2.72 in the NP231 with the doubler).

If it's the extreme really technical stuff then I'll drop it to the 7.12 and go to it.

Most of all of Carnage I did in just 2.72, as well as Indy.

The only time I really use low-low is as I said the really technical stuff, or going down hill letting it walk itself so I don't have to use the brakes at all. (Was nice using it coming down Holy Cross...just letting it coast).

Huh, learn something new every day.

Most of the guys I used to wheel with had TeraLows, or 231/300 doublers so we were all in the 4:1+ range. I loved the low gearing, but my driving style must be much different. Off idle is where its at!

All this talk of offroading makes me realize how long its been since Ive seen 4 low. Anyone up for some easy trail rides this spring? Wheel and shoot somewhere?

I'm with you. Just off idle and letting it work itself up. Granted that doesn't always work but wow that seems like super fast speeds with that large of tire

Picking up my new rig on Friday from a friend.

2001 Lariat w/ Auto transmission. 6.0L Trans cooler upgrade, aluminum deep sump trans pan, aluminum oversized diff cover, HP oil line equalizer, TS Performance chip, boost/trans/EGT a-pillar gauge set, air bags, Kenwood touchscreen, new tires, brake controller, and all with just a bit over 104,000 miles. I'm very excited as its almost the exact truck I wanted and in all reality the short bed will be plenty big enough.

For the record the kit is 1200ish not the whole assembled setup. I could add up the cost of my Tera Low and it is well over 1500. and lastly ....... I have had my Tera Low WELL over 25mph!! :piratefla

2001 Lariat w/ Auto transmission. 6.0L Trans cooler upgrade, aluminum deep sump trans pan, aluminum oversized diff cover, HP oil line equalizer, TS Performance chip, boost/trans/EGT a-pillar gauge set, air bags, Kenwood touchscreen, new tires, brake controller, and all with just a bit over 104,000 miles. I'm very excited as its almost the exact truck I wanted and in all reality the short bed will be plenty big enough.

Wait, 2001 with a 6.0?

WTF!?

Edit: Sorry reading comprehension got the best of me there.

Nice clean truck! And nice low mileage!

Still doesn't have the ZF6 though :D

I would recommend getting rid of the TS chip and getting a PHP Hydra or DP Tuner...something with tunes specific to your truck.

There's a lot of thing you can do with these...like turn it into an 05-07 inside and out like I am :D

Last edited:
I liked the TS Chip on my last 7.3l, I'm the one that told him to get it.

I do plan to swap the headlights out and the back seat too, I'd love to swap in King Ranch seats but people want 2k$ for those.

Nice truck! I love the ts programmer in my buddies 7.3, that thing is scary fast!

Yep, so I just met up with my buddy at his sister's house in Brighton. He brought the truck over from Grand Junction as he was coming to visit family anyway.

This video sums it up nicely:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pT04RqXrBKY

It drives great and even on just the +50hp setting it scoots very nicely. Merging onto the interstate was pretty fun (it hits 24psi of boost on that setting btw) and its soo much smoother and nicer than the Jeep. It cruises along at 75ish mph very nicely and the little display (that is most likely full of lies) crept up to 19mpg. Even with the loud diesel its quieter on the interstate too, I can actually hear my radio. The Kenwood touchscreen deck is pretty sweet, I can stream Pandora via Bluetooth to my phone. He also added a Bully Dog shift enhancer kit that raises the transmission line pressure a bit, the shifts are nice and firm without being harsh. Its just a great driving truck all around. I'm very happy with it and can't wait to put it to use.

Last edited:

Oh it's not always ideal ,but the aw4 ...5.13s and 2.72 give an on paper ratio of about 39-1 the actual with multiplication of the converter give you much deeper than 39-1.The aw4 does not lock the converter in 1st gear so you have nearly double the 39-1 in 1st the issue with that is converters generate heat when unlocked since their design is slip which equals heat , which is why I have a 30,000 btu fan cooled B&M on it the fluid has stayed nice and red for 1.5 years since I replaced the clogged lines in 2013 . I almost snapped up a 2 speed atlas a couple times ,but stopped myself because witha 4.0 and 40s you need the t-case to make the motor come alive and only having a 5.0 low range would SUCK on many steep obstacles requiring wheel speed . The gearing provided by the stock case is actually about the ideal gearing for trails like Carnage and Indy they are not super technical trails ... If I could just win Powerball I'd have me a fancy v-8 and...lol... and a four post lift to do the work without flat backing it .

43FDB445-831C-49B1-A12F-EF7A1AD96072_zpsr28qwasd.jpg

What's the top end potential for speed in stock trim with that v-8 and tires around 31-32 and 3.73s .I figure it has to be better than the I-6 Cummins I have that tops right at 3100 rpm at 105 and as it's defueling as you pass 3100 it just barely reaches about 108-109 at 3450 then watch whatever was tail lights walk by you as they have more top end .I know I have no business at those speeds as a CDL holder ,but it has presented itself a few times on the wide open interstate especially when when I run it tuned . For towing I have no need to faster than 65-80 but sometimes wish I had more top end when the situation presents itself .

It sits at about 2200rpm at 75mph. I honestly have no need or desire to run it past 80mph as the fuel economy would tank. I know my OBS w/ a 5spd manual and 4.10's sucked the fuel down pretty quick at 75mph as it was spinning a lot faster. Triple digits is a full size truck is pretty ridiculous and not necessary at all.

Back