• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What are the best shocks?

I'm still trying to decide between the sensatracs and the reflex shocks.

I spoke to a tech guy on the Monroe 800 number, and he said that sensatracs are best for pure pavement driving, but if you do some washboard dirt roads or something like that, you should go with the reflex shocks.

I put a set of Reflexes on when I redid my XJ. I was really suprised ; those Reflexes ride smoother than the Sensa-tracs we put in my grandfather's Impala. I know, two way diferent suspension set ups but still, everyone is suprised by how nice the jeep rides with the reflexes, which, as far as I can tell, are billed as a rougher riding, quick acting type of shock. I highly reccomend the Reflexes, mine have the lifetime warranty with them too.

Edit: keep in mind that I have a stock XJ (no lift) with new slightly over sized tires (P235/75R15s) and the origional suspension (87 coils and leaves) and nothing else really done to the suspension.

Last edited:
Beachmonkey6 said:
I got the sensatracs. A guy at a car repair place near me recomended these too. Thanks guys for all your help.

I've just ordered a set of SensaTracs for my 99 XJ, regulars for the front and coil-overs for the rear. Let us know what you think of yours when you get them installed and I'll do the same.

I put a set of Bilstein on about two years ago, 150K or so, and I'm satisfied.

Handling improved, and the ride didn't much suffer. No issues with the shocks at all. The version I got is recommended as stock replacements. I don't do off-road.

Cost was about $210 for the set.

hey i installed a set from rustys $30 ea.plus boots $3. ride great firmmer but not to harsh.they have them for all sizes lift or not.put on the 1 3/4 lift with 2" longer shocks

Back