• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

western Ma Mohawk Trail Clean-up

sidriptide said:
the trail head is a popular spot for locals to drop their stuff like appliances and roofing material. you will not be charged for anything..
The only 2 trails were I live have been closed down cause of peaple like that and it p*sses me off.

robz95xj said:
The only 2 trails were I live have been closed down cause of peaple like that and it p*sses me off.

the problem is people dont put alot of thought into who puts the crap there.. they see trash.. they see Jeeps... gee who dumped it? but we end up cleaning it up as a way of sucking up to the community in hopes to stay in their good graces... the small towns in northern berkshire county are pretty supportive of us in what we do.. so this clean up will hopefully score some extra brownie points..

well I'll definetly be there. Can't wait to meet some of you guys. Also do you know of anyone in the area thats lokkin for rear drums and shoes. I got some brand new still in the box for a D35 that i've been tryin to sell.

Hey guys,

This is dave here from Amherst, I know you all need help out there and I'd love to be a part. I am only like 1 hour or so from N adams so i think taht I can make it. Big y parking lot it is, I'll let you al know if for some reason i can't make it.

I'm hoping to have my Jeep inspested by the end of the week so I can be there. Either way i'll try to be there. (BTW Mike did you see the pics of your friends Bronco in the pics section?)

robz95xj said:
well I'll definetly be there. Can't wait to meet some of you guys. Also do you know of anyone in the area thats lokkin for rear drums and shoes. I got some brand new still in the box for a D35 that i've been tryin to sell.
9-inch or 10-inch?

robz95xj said:
I'm hoping to have my Jeep inspested by the end of the week so I can be there. Either way i'll try to be there. (BTW Mike did you see the pics of your friends Bronco in the pics section?)

my friend's bronco?? i will have to check because i know only one bronco.... i'l have to look..

wow what a cold wet day.... but we still had a great turn out.. THANKS EVERYONE!!!!!!! i didnt get a head count but we had attendees from CTJeep.org, Eastern 4 wheelers, Rock Attitude, Adirondak jeeps, NAXJA, and the Berkshire RidgeRunners.. we pulled out at least 6 truck loads from the mountain.. big thanks to Forist for having the only 4WD pickup that could handle the duties.. we spent about 4 hrs on the mountain and cleaned all the way up to the old farm, which looked to be a full day cleanup itself... i cant help but wonder if the town knew how much stuff we were going to pull out.... well they have a nice pile ready for pickup on monday AM....

thanks once again for everyone who made the time to get out there and help..

pics are here..

http://www.fototime.com/inv/E01AA773E68C8F2

Geez you guys took out alot of crap. I'm still bummed that I could'nt come and help out and meet you guys.

The amazing thing was thatthere is many more times that amount of stuff up there, it makes you wonder how much trash is laying around by all the other old roads like this that needs cleaning up.......Anyhow those who didnt make it missed out, it was a great day to be out stumbling around in the woods, well, any day is a great day for that, but this was fun and worth while.

This is something the New England or northeast off-road community should do more often. We had a similar result when we cleaned up the trail in RI last year. We completely filled a donated dumpster (15 yard? 20 yard?) and had a literal mountain of stuff piled up at the roadside even after the dumpster had left.

The amount of "stuff" people dump in the woods is amazing. Until you start massing it in one location you don't visualize just how much there is.

I'm sorry I couldn't be there for this one, but maybe it'll happen again?

here is a copy of the press-release we sent to the local papers....

Recently, a group of 4WD enthusiasts, working with consent from the mayor’s office in North Adams, performed an Earth Day clean up along some old town roads near Mount Greylock in the North Adams area. The group of over 20 adults included families from several organized New England 4WD clubs, CTJEEP, Eastern 4 Wheelers, Berkshire Ridge Runners, Adirondack Jeeps, Rock Attitude 4WD, Ram Charger Central and North American XJ Assoc. These people came together from across New England, on a rainy Saturday to clean up the messes left by others over the years. Included in the near to three full dumpster loads was a nearly complete 55 Chevy and over 30 tires.
The fact that these 4WD environmentalists chose to clean up other people’s garbage is not something new and is not the only benefit the Adams/Florida area is seeing from the organized 4WD community. Our effects on the local economies of the towns we visit can be seen in several simple examples: A mere 30 vehicles, visiting the area on any given weekend and traveling on the old town roads that already exist in the wonderful scenery of the Berkshire Mountains, will spend a very low balled average of $100, this being on gas, food and lodging and quite possibly parts, never mind any other “souvenir” purchases. We can again low ball the fact that this will take place on only 30 of the 52 possible weekends of any given year. This equates to easily $90,000 into the Adams/Florida area economies. Another example: Whitcomb Summit Motel. The simple closure of Savoy Mnt. State Forest has effectively reduced their reservation rate by 60%! That is a devastating effect!
Aside from bringing monies into the area and cleaning/ maintaining the areas we use, the organized 4WD groups are also responsible for food and clothing drives throughout western MA.
As the state is trying to put together an economic/tourism program, the local people will be remiss to leave OHV recreationists out of the equation. When you see a friendly group of outdoor devotees driving through town in their trucks, please don’t look at us in disdain, we are truly in love with the area and are doing what we can to keep it beautiful.

VERY NICE ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! :us: :star:

Last edited:
Back