• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Went to buy an xj today and...

Nickster said:
I got edmunds.com TMV value...is this what ur talkin about motorcity?

I always thought that the dealers made money off the interest if you get a loan term and pay no money down. Ive gone w/ and w/o cash down and it never made a difference on the purchase price. I always hammer them down on the price too.

yep thats it the second part has the list for all the options.

Found mine on Auto Trader in West Virginia. I drove 3 hours to pick it up from Richmond. $8500, 79k miles, 2001 Sport, 3" OME lift, SYE, driveshaft, and 5 BFG 31" ATs. Bought it from a private seller...stay away from the dealers with the XJs....they overprice them almost every time. You'll find one, just keep looking.

Got my 99 in Jan. for $3500, 120k miles. Bought it from a Mayor of a small city...he had it serviced on regular basis...had all the work records to go along w/it

I feel ya. In chicago here your lucky to get an individual to sell at KBB.com says. and at an excellent price point the truck is beat. every other one seemed to be 1500 over what kbb said so you figure theyd come down 500 or so they still high. keep looking youll find one i think i found mine..
i did just find a 2000 with 87,000 on it for 6500 but it was in good condition i was looking for cleaner.... so ill end up spending more than what i thought i would after look at kbb values.. dealers always have huge markup. go tot he dealer and know what you want out of your truck and what you want to pay for the xj and see what they can do.. and dont tell them well i just want to end up paying 150.00 a month cause theyll extend out the term as long as they can to sell you 7 years later youll still be paying one that xj :D

Bought my 90 with 151,000 on the clock for 2000 cash.

Oh yeah why is this in the Modified Tech Forum shouldn't it be in the Off Topic area????

....It sucks when you cant use a nationwide car value system to even get a HALF DECENT guess at how much youll get on a trade in...or selling...or buying...
BTW i was drunk and desperate when i origionally posted this thread, please forgive my off topic post.
Incredibly, as it almost unconceivably turns out, this is the only thread i started that warranted more than 2 valid responses in my entire forum posting career...my E-life is finally breathing with hope. :clap:
...Sorry ive been drinkin again...

Last edited:
I love my 99. Paid way to much for it, but I got it from carmax a little over two years ago with 62K on it. I now have 94K on it, with no major problems to date.

I'll agree to the going with a credit union for a loan. Thats what I did (through Truliant), and even though it's in my moms name (as I was under age at the time), we got a great interest rate on it with a low monthly payment.

Now if I can just get the damn thing paid off i'll be good.

Back